Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: Plasma TV Forum:
EDTV or HDTV

Robroy
User

Aug 27, 2005, 10:11 PM

Post #1 of 10 (3094 views)
Shortcut
EDTV or HDTV Can't Post

Which set makes the most sense? Myself and a guy named denonjapan started this huge debate and I am curious to what some others think.

Nalimar
New User

Aug 31, 2005, 5:29 PM

Post #2 of 10 (3058 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Robroy] EDTV or HDTV [In reply to] Can't Post

Depends what your looking for. If your on a budget, but want sharp colors and that wide screen theater look, then I would go with an EDTV. If your a 'serious' watcher of movies and sports and want the colors to literally give you a buzz, then I would go with an HDTV Plama

jpt54
New User

Aug 31, 2005, 6:07 PM

Post #3 of 10 (3057 views)
Shortcut

IT DEPENDS...

It depends on your point of view.

Logically, HDTV should be better than EDTV because it can display at a higher resolution. If not, it's dumb to research and develop for HDTV. And, consumer is really stupid to pay more for some thing having no differences.

Practically, we don't see the difference between HDTV and EDTV now because NO station truly send out HDTV (1024 lines) signals yet. So, why you have to pay more for some thing depended on the source of the signal not providing to you now?

Buying an HDTV now just means being ready for a future.

By the way, the Japan choose a middle way. They keep their old analog TV technologies combining with their more advanced digital technologies. While at America, the FCC wanted to change totally from analog signal to digital signal to prepare for other applications, not just for TV only. However, the responses from broadcasters are slower than expected because they don't want to spend their money to buy new equipment to broadcast digital signal when the market not ready yet. But, in our digital age, digital TV signal finally will be completed in near future.

Robroy
User

Aug 31, 2005, 6:44 PM

Post #4 of 10 (3055 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jpt54] EDTV or HDTV [In reply to] Can't Post

I am sure it all depends where you live because each TV station can broadcast what they want, but I live outside of kansas City and every major television station broadcasts digital HDTV every single night with more coming at an alarming rate. Daily soaps and football, basketball and hockey games are now in HDTV plus everything in prime time, plus Leno, Conan and Letterman just started broadcasting in HDTV yesterday. They broadcast in simulcast which means they are broadcasting both an analog and digital signal. Most are broadcasting full 1080i but some are broadcasting in 720P, but it doesn't matter because both 720 and 1080 look far better on an HD set than an ED set. That is just what is free over the air and if you have cable or satelite you can much more with the HD package. With HD-DVD and Blue Ray on the horizon it just doesn't make sense to purchase an ED set right now. 12 months from now you will really regret it. Last year this would have been a good argument, but not anymore.

jpt54 there is no such thing as 1024 HD now or in the near future, 1080i is considered full HD, but technicaly anything over 720p can be labeled as HD. The next step up isn't even 1024, it is 1080p, but that is still a few years off.

(This post was edited by Robroy on Aug 31, 2005, 6:48 PM)

jpt54
New User

Sep 2, 2005, 9:05 PM

Post #5 of 10 (3030 views)
Shortcut

Read this article

http://www.cnet.com/4520-7874_1-5137915-1.html

denonjapan
Veteran

Sep 2, 2005, 10:34 PM

Post #6 of 10 (3027 views)
Shortcut

jpt54 : im glad you brought this link for them to all know. How the 2 units being CLASSIFIED not for COMPARISON. How well they do when it comes to IN-COMING SIGNALS. All I know! HDTV doesn't do well DOWNCOVERTING signals cause that's not It's MAIN TASK in displaying images. It's like it's saying to you! "know me well enough in order to better serve you!

However! EDTV do well in high or low resolution signals cause they're equipped with flexible scalar!. Weakness? >to be use as PC monitor which HDTV MONITOR's Primary TASK....Im not saying one is better than the other / or the other way around!. Know how it's going to affect you when you choose either one!...

denonjp

made in japan

Robroy
User

Sep 2, 2005, 10:55 PM

Post #7 of 10 (3024 views)
Shortcut
Re: [denonjapan] EDTV or HDTV [In reply to] Can't Post

Well it's not that an EDTV set has a better (more flexible) scaler. Their scalers don't have as much to do. Since they (EDTV) are 480 (progressive) monitors and most of the signal (SD) is 480 (interlaced) they don't have as far to scale and thusly they look better next to HDTV set with an SD signal. But since they physically cannot display anything above 480 they will assuredly have an inferior picture to an HD set when viewing anything above a 720p image. My contention is with more and more HD content coming out almost daily and with HD-DVD and/or Blue Ray on the horizon it only makes sense to purchase a product that will be fully useful now and into the future. Look, a Plasma is going to last you at least 10 years and even under the most worst case scenerios, HDTV won't become prevalent for 3 years, so that means for 7 years you will be stuck watching HDTV on an inferior EDTV monitor while all of your friends will be enjoying the stunning beaty of HDTV.

marcva
New User

Sep 3, 2005, 1:13 AM

Post #8 of 10 (3019 views)
Shortcut

Or...you think about getting into Plasma cheap now, and then update to a glorious 60" LCD or plasma 10th generation screen (?!) when they sell for $1000 in 5 years...

It's always tough to gauge when to jump into early technologies like this. People have preferences, and people like RobRoy are blessed with a market that's rich in HDTV programming. If I were going to set up the true media center that toggled between PC and TV functionality, I'd think about the higher res of true HD. For my std DirecTV box and DVD player, I'm OK with the 90-95% solution for now, esp with a baby on the way. I need to save the extra $700 for diapers.

YMMV of course. That's why there are multiple products.

MarcVA

Robroy
User

Sep 3, 2005, 2:45 AM

Post #9 of 10 (3018 views)
Shortcut
Re: [marcva] EDTV or HDTV [In reply to] Can't Post

And there is nothing wrong with that mentality, heck we all have our financial limitations. I would however contend that "getting into Plasma cheap now" with an EDTV is still a questionable strategy because an average EDTV Plasma is still going to cost you $1500-$2000, that is not cheap in my book for something that is going to be obsolete (inferior) in 2-3 years. But if you already bought an EDTV I am not knocking you, when you bought it was probably a viable option, current DVDs will still look very good and standard TV (480) does look better on an EDTV than an HDTV. I am just saying if you were going to go out and by one now I would recommend waiting, saving up another $1000 and getting a good quality HDTV plasma set.

Robroy
User

Sep 8, 2005, 3:03 PM

Post #10 of 10 (2950 views)
Shortcut

There were some problems with that article jpt54 :

From the article: 1. DVD and standard TV will look basically the same on both.

"This is true, right now, but with HD-DVD on the horizon and HDTV coming on like crazy, in 2 years this will not be true because DVD and standard TV will be gone, or at least the minority. So again, do you spend 2-3 thousand dollars on a TV for it to become obsolete in a couple years or do you want it to last for the life of the TV?

2. EDTVs plasmas generally have better black-level performance and higher contrast ratios, which lead to better-looking dark scenes.

"This is just not true, usually the EDTV and the HDTV from the same manufacturer will produce displays with equal contrast ratio and black level. EDTVs do not have inherently better black levels."

3. HDTV plasmas will look significantly more detailed with HDTV and computer sources, even though they don't show every pixel.

"Very true and further supports my point"

4. HDTV plasmas have smaller pixels, allowing you to sit closer without discerning the pixel grid.

"True, if you sit close to an EDTV you will notice the "screen door effect" or what the author calls the pixel grid"

(This post was edited by Robroy on Sep 8, 2005, 3:06 PM)

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.16 s on (CGI/1.1)