Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: Plasma TV Forum:
Help prevent Burn-Ins

Church
New User

Nov 21, 2004, 5:19 PM

Post #1 of 7 (3567 views)
Shortcut
Help prevent Burn-Ins Can't Post

I just finished reading an article on how to help prevent burn ins. Plasma TV users probably already know this info, so this is for the people who have recently purchased a Plasma ( Like myself ) Some useful information!

http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/...plasmatv-burnin.html

It's a commen article and I'm sure most of you have read this already!

BruZZi
New User

Nov 25, 2004, 5:25 AM

Post #2 of 7 (3518 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Church] Help prevent Burn-Ins [In reply to] Can't Post

Very Nice article. Thanks. Smile

Church
New User

Nov 26, 2004, 12:46 AM

Post #3 of 7 (3510 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BruZZi] Help prevent Burn-Ins [In reply to] Can't Post

No problem!!!Wink

astokie
New User

Dec 2, 2004, 7:25 PM

Post #4 of 7 (3414 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Church] Help prevent Burn-Ins [In reply to] Can't Post

I read in the article about lowering the contrast to slow the phospherous burn but how does this relate to the contrast specifications of individual tv's. In my shopping I've been looking at the contrast ratio as an important factor in which set to buy. Is 5000:1 more prone to wear out than 3000:1?

Thanks for the advice...

denonjapan
Veteran

Dec 3, 2004, 1:47 AM

Post #5 of 7 (3406 views)
Shortcut
Re: [astokie] Help prevent Burn-Ins [In reply to] Can't Post

ASTOKIE! I have never seen in my lifetime not this early anyway a DISPLAY with 5000:1 contrast ratio. All this burn-in issues/ by lowering the contrast has nothing to do with it. The brightness settings is the main factor however, Even if you do so, Don't display stilled pictures or computer graphics as if image will be stagnant on the screen. common sense!

I have been with my PLASMA display almost everyday to 24 hours within a year now and I have never lost any brightness nor symptoms of burns in my screen. Not that I care whether or not one discussion is proven truth or not, but Im certain for one thing: "Im about to find out how Plasma really last.

astokie
New User

Dec 3, 2004, 2:51 AM

Post #6 of 7 (3401 views)
Shortcut
Re: [denonjapan] Help prevent Burn-Ins [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the reply. I've been looking at two tv's (LGRU-42PX11) and (Zenith/LG P42W46X). Both claim to be 5000:1 contrast ratio.

So by decreasing the brightness levels, not the contrast levels, theoretically you would extend the life of the phosphorus?

denonjapan
Veteran

Dec 3, 2004, 6:31 AM

Post #7 of 7 (3388 views)
Shortcut
Re: [astokie] Help prevent Burn-Ins [In reply to] Can't Post

If Zenith and LG both claimed to have a contrast ratio of 5000:1, I couldn't imagine How dark the picture would be, there will be no more adjustments necessary, white would be almost dirty white. Dark picture PERIOD!. Are you sure, you ain't mistaken 5000:1 to 1500:1 contrast ratio?

I have a PANASONIC TH37PDW6UY with a contrast ratio of 4000:1 I have set the BRIGHTNESS level to
-30 all the time I had it. PICTURE level is set to the maximum +30 as well as the SHARPNESS +30. TINT and COLOR are in between. Adjustments may require only when needed.

Theorically, I would say the 30,000 to 60,000 hours lifespan expected of the display is even more, doubled the expentancy as originally rated. The way I look at the PANASONIC displays, regardless of the Brightness settings, Once the PHOSPHOURS ignited, whose to say: necessarry steps could prolonged phosphours life?. know what Im saying?.

Therefore, I would say: the only way to STABILIZE it's picture perfect is to work through it's colored pixels, minimize 4.3 , widescreen all the time. Most of all, since Plasma generates lot of energy, I suggest: turning ON and OFF isn't ideal either. For instance: You turned it ON now knowing you go to the store in 30 minutes, just leave it ON, don't turn it OFF unless you won't be back 4 to 6 hours later.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.14 s on (CGI/1.1)