Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: Plasma TV Forum:
Help with LG Plasma TV

Hellsheep
New User

Oct 8, 2008, 7:46 AM

Post #1 of 14 (11423 views)
Shortcut
Help with LG Plasma TV Can't Post

Hey guys, i recently purchased this TV: http://www.productreview.com.au/showitem.php?item_id=2985

I got it from the local dump for $50 and took it home because they said they could not get it to turn on past standby.

After toying with it a bit, it just seemed the button was a bit sticky. The only problems i have now is that after turning it on and connecting it to a digital set top box is that i get a very dark picture with almost no color, it looks dull and there is black splotches on the screen. Most of the black splotches start to fade away after the TV has been on for about 3-4 minutes. There is still some remaining ones that won't go away and i can't seem to restore color or picture or brightness even after adjusting the settings. I would appreciate if i could get some information on common problems related to those symptoms just so i know where and what is wrong and if it's really worth getting it repaired. The sound works perfect it's all great except the picture.

I can take some photos if you want to see what it looks like when it's on if that helps. Just let me know if you need more information or don't understand something.

dkdhas3
User

Oct 8, 2008, 2:44 PM

Post #2 of 14 (11400 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Hellsheep] Help with LG Plasma TV [In reply to] Can't Post

does this black , dark splotchiness has a dark shaddow or blooming to the right hand side of images, if so its prob. the panel i have seen this numerous timesis the on-screen display dark also?have you tried other sourcesi.e. dvd player vcr?

Hellsheep
New User

Oct 9, 2008, 5:02 AM

Post #3 of 14 (11388 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dkdhas3] Help with LG Plasma TV [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello, it's quite hard to actually explain it. Thanks for the reply. I have noticed the black splotches have cleared up after leaving it running for a bit, although every time a TV show or DVD skips to a new scene with a large amount of color or image difference it has those dark patches back again, which slowly disappear. If i turn off the light in the room the picture becomes a lot easier to see, it's as if there is no light getting to the screen at all. I have tried attaching a dvd player and VCR but they all seem to have the same issue. Some people have suggested it could be the backlight, someone else said it may be some input or output thing (can't remember the exact name of it.) Below i am linking you to some pictures of what the TV looks like when turned on, hopefully this will shed some light on it.

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z262/x_ChampionGurl_x/DarwinPictures001.jpg

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z262/x_ChampionGurl_x/DarwinPictures003.jpg

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z262/x_ChampionGurl_x/DarwinPictures004.jpg

(This post was edited by Hellsheep on Oct 9, 2008, 5:56 AM)

techchris
Veteran

Oct 9, 2008, 7:33 AM

Post #4 of 14 (11381 views)
Shortcut

it was in the dump for a reason! this solarized picture looks like a faulty plasma screen .BTW there are no backlights in plasma tv's only LCD

Hellsheep
New User

Oct 9, 2008, 2:04 PM

Post #5 of 14 (11376 views)
Shortcut
Re: [techchris] Help with LG Plasma TV [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey, thanks for the post techchris. I do understand it was in the dump for reason, although for someone like me that can't afford a few thousand for a brand new TV, i was hoping that it might be a cheap fix for something like this. How much would it cost to get a plasma screen replaced if you could give me a rough price it would be great, if you think it'd be worth me buying another TV, if you could find a cheap LCD that is about 42" and costs about the same price to buy as it would to fix the plasma, then i would appreciate if you link something like that too.

Kind Regards,

Jarryd.

dkdhas3
User

Oct 9, 2008, 2:10 PM

Post #6 of 14 (11375 views)
Shortcut

apanel defect. almost a sure thing. sorry, expensive and prob. NLA

Hellsheep
New User

Oct 9, 2008, 2:47 PM

Post #7 of 14 (11373 views)
Shortcut

Sorry what is NLA? Is there any chance it could be the sys,Y,Z boards? Also i haven't opened it up, i have an uncle that is a qualified electrician, should i have him open it up and check for any defects like if there is capacitors or something that might be dead?

dkdhas3
User

Oct 9, 2008, 3:06 PM

Post #8 of 14 (11370 views)
Shortcut

Sorry i meen (No Longer Available) it is a slight possibility there is something other than the panel but i highly doubt it. electrician is going to be lost inside the set i have a feeling, its a whole diff. ballgame, you can inspect the upper and lower Y drives at the left edge of the set for burned surface mounted integrated curcuits but is prety rare. you have a bad plasma panel.

Chrisry696
New User

Oct 14, 2008, 7:54 PM

Post #9 of 14 (11334 views)
Shortcut

I'm not being a jerk at all here by say this, " There is no such thing as a cheap fix on plasma's". If the t.v. was free, then cool. For the most part if someone looked at the set first, then the easy fix no longer applies. He would have done it already. I'm a tv tech and I hate plasma set's. 95% of the time it's big time money!!!! Anyone else reading this.....Save your $50.00. it's not worth it!!!! Go on craigslist if you can't afford a new set. But also remember, "plasma's don't last. Maybe 2-3 years if your lucky, expensive to fix and nothing is cheap." I tell EVERYONE if you want a plasma, buy it new and get a WARRANTY, otherwise it's a waste of your money. That's just what I have experienced with these sets. Take it with a grain of salt, so to speak.

dkdhas3
User

Oct 14, 2008, 8:18 PM

Post #10 of 14 (11333 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chrisry696] Help with LG Plasma TV [In reply to] Can't Post

VERY GOOD POST. AS I WAS 3/4 THE WAY THROUGH I HAD TO LOOK AND SEE WHO WROTE IT BECAUSE THIS IS THE STORY OF MY LIFE. I ALSO AM A PROFESSIONAL TV TECHINCIAN AND AND HAVE BEEN LONG BEFORE PLAZMA WAS AROUND AND ALL OF THE WORDS BY Chrisry696 IS ON THE MONEY. IF I WERE TO BUY A PLAZMA I WOULD MOST DEFF. GET THE 5 YEAR PART AND LABOR WAR. IF I COULDNT' AFFORD THE WAR. AT THE TIME I WOULD WAIT UNTIL I COULD. IT WOULD BE AMAZING IF IT GETS TO FIVE WITHOUT MAJOR ISSUES

smith700
New User

Nov 11, 2008, 4:02 PM

Post #11 of 14 (11157 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chrisry696] Help with LG Plasma TV [In reply to] Can't Post

So let me get this straight. You are putting all plasma TVs in the same category? You want to tell me that no matter the brand, they will break up in high percentage? I mean, yeah even the best and the most expensive TVs can break, but from having bad luck with a TV to saying plasma TVs will generally break up in 2-3 years, is kinda stretching the reality. I understand that since you're a technician you have seen your share of broken plasma TVs, but could you say that MOST of them break within 2-3 years?

Jack Smith
Plasma TV | Best HDTV | Best LCD TV

techchris
Veteran

Nov 11, 2008, 8:56 PM

Post #12 of 14 (11153 views)
Shortcut
Re: [smith700] Help with LG Plasma TV [In reply to] Can't Post

I can confirm that it is the case. most tv's come from China and as we all know by now they couldn't make a pair of socks let alone something technical. 2-3 years is a good lifetime for a modern TV, and that is based on over 30 years in the repair trade

smith700
New User

Nov 11, 2008, 10:34 PM

Post #13 of 14 (11149 views)
Shortcut
Re: [techchris] Help with LG Plasma TV [In reply to] Can't Post

Are we talking about all modern TVs or just plasma? It happens that I know like 7 folks that have plasma TVs and about 4 with LCDs and only one of them ever had problems with their TV (a plasma). So what you guys say kinda shocked me. In this case an extended warranty can actually prove itself very useful. Personally I don't think I'll keep a TV for more than 3 years tops. But for many is more of a long term "relationship".

Jack Smith
Plasma TV | Best HDTV | Best LCD TV

Studi
New User

Nov 13, 2008, 2:08 AM

Post #14 of 14 (11129 views)
Shortcut
Re: [smith700] Help with LG Plasma TV [In reply to] Can't Post

To answer your original question. Looks like a classic Z Sus failure. Not repairable but not too expensive to replace. Well not in the UK anyway.
It's the board on the right, looking from the back.
Check the fuses. The main one or other smaller ones may well be open. If so, find the part number on the sticker; 6871QZH???? and do a web search. Here's ours. http://shop.sjstv.co.uk but you should be able to find a company who can supply closer to home.
UK Plasma & LCD New & Used Parts.

(This post was edited by Studi on Aug 31, 2009, 9:13 PM)

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.15 s on (CGI/1.1)