Free Games TV Forums

Main Index FORUM
HOME
Search Posts SEARCH
IN
Rules & FAQ RULES
F.A.Q.

Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: Plasma TV Forum:
How to tell if a Plasma tube has gone bad/?

billansor
New User

Apr 26, 2011, 9:49 PM

Post #1 of 4 (9635 views)
Shortcut
How to tell if a Plasma tube has gone bad/? Can't Post

Hi

I am working on a Insignia NS-PDP50HD Plasma that came in dead. There were two large filters that had the domed, high esr effect on the Power Supply Board. Replaced both of those filters. Connected the board back into the circuit.

The standby power comes up but when the power is applied, it will try to come up but then shuts down right away again. We hear the clicking of the relays

The other technician noticed a sound like that comes out of a balloon when we pick up the tv on it's face and put it down again.

The thinking is now that the plasma tube is bad... Some of the posts indicate that the tube would be bad but there would still be sound. We have neither sound or picture.

Any thoughts on this?

Thank you for your time

Bill

Repair man
Enthusiast

May 5, 2011, 6:14 AM

Post #2 of 4 (9609 views)
Shortcut
Re: [billansor] How to tell if a Plasma tube has gone bad/? [In reply to] Can't Post

Try disconnecting on buffer board at a time & try the set. There is usually an upper & lower buffer board, try disconnecting the upper buffer board from the YSUS board & try the set, if the upper buffer board was causing the set to shut down then at this point you should have power & the lower half of the screen will be on.

If that didn't work then reconnect the upper buffer board & then disconnect the lower buffer board & try the set again. Once again if the set powers up it should have the upper half of the screen on which would indicate you have a bad lower buffer board.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you (or anyone reading this post) have any further questions or need clarification please feel free to contact me direct; you can find my email address by clicking on my user-name.

Learn Plasma TV Repair

TV Spares
New User

May 9, 2011, 10:51 AM

Post #3 of 4 (9597 views)
Shortcut
Re: [billansor] How to tell if a Plasma tube has gone bad/? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Bull User,

I am more akin to UK models but I am guessing this is fitted with a Samsung Full HD Panel, an early one?

S50FH-YB01?

I have dismantled at least 3 of these with broken screens, however I have not yet sold a single Y-Main or Buffer. I have however sold all 3 Power supplies.

Perhaps a clue?

Unplug the Cables to both the Y-Main and X-Main and see if the set powers up. (No picture obviously, but a green light?)

If not you have most likely still got a power supply issue. (I'd like it's part number to see if I have any common issues listed)

If it stays on you should try it with only the Y-Sustain disconnected. (If it still powers up, it's a fault on the Y-Sustain Side - Y-Sus and/or buffers)

Then do as Repair Man says, plug the Y-Sustain back in and remove either the top or bottom buffer.

Try the set again. If it stays on with either or both of the buffers disconnected then you've found the failed item(s).

NOTE.

It is common for the Y-Sustain to have caused the buffer failure, check the FETS on the Y-Sustain before you stick $100 Bucks worth of buffer into it.

Plus, you can chage the failed ICs on the buffer if you have the tools.

Hope that helps.
Fixing Flat Screen TVs for Years.
Owner of - Fix My Plasma
and
TVSpares.com
I'll always try and help.

okidoqui
User

Oct 31, 2012, 9:42 AM

Post #4 of 4 (7373 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TV Spares] How to tell if a Plasma tube has gone bad/? [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for sharing this article about plasma TV tube. Now, I would come to know if same thing happens with my plasma TV as well.
Plasma or LCD

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.18 s on (CGI/1.1)