Free Games TV Forums

Main Index FORUM
HOME
Search Posts SEARCH
IN
Rules & FAQ RULES
F.A.Q.

Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: Plasma TV Forum:
LG 42PC5D just bought from Best Buy...cracked and doessn't turn on!

robustsfc
New User

Apr 19, 2007, 12:30 AM

Post #1 of 7 (4996 views)
Shortcut
LG 42PC5D just bought from Best Buy...cracked and doessn't turn on! Can't Post

ok I recently bought a LG 42PC5D 42" flatscreen plasma tv from Best Buy. it seemed really great. I was really siked to go home and get on some xbox 360 gaming on it. so as I got done playing everything. before walking out of the store the guy opened the box, pointed at the screen, and asked if it look alright and it did so I said yes and signed the reciept. so as i was trying to pack it in the truck of my Honda CRV suv i had a little trouble getting it in. so i opened the box just to see if there was anything I could do to make it a little easier. when i opened it I noticed there were large cracks on the screen so i took it in and tried to exchange it. but they kept refusing and said that i had already signed the reciept. they were saying there was no way it could end up like that unless I dropped it. AND I NEVER DROPPED IT! i handled it really carefully. moved it gently and slowly.
after arguing for a long time it just didn't go anywhere. i remembering asking the guy if it atleast is able to turn on and he said yes. so when i got home and plugged it in and hit the power button. IT WOULD NOT TURN ON AND KEPT MAKING SOME BUZZING NOISE! i mean you could see the green light and hear the channel but couldn't see anything!. so i tried to get it repaired since i had a bought a 4 year $299 warranty. but the repair company said there was nothing they could do untill we resolve it with best buy. so had 2 attempts with Best Buy again and same thing...NOTHING but only able to get refund for the warranty since it was useless anyways!
anyone got any solutions with that. and if you think there is nothing I could do to get a exchange or refund then what's your suggestions on repairs. you think it's worth it to try to just fix it to be able to turn on but leave the crack there? or does the crack make it look really that bad when in use?

oh and also...screw Best Buy! had horrible service from them. don't ever buy anythign from them.

(This post was edited by robustsfc on Apr 19, 2007, 12:31 AM)

denonjapan
Veteran

Apr 19, 2007, 5:47 AM

Post #2 of 7 (4991 views)
Shortcut
Re: [robustsfc] LG 42PC5D just bought from Best Buy...cracked and doessn't turn on! [In reply to] Can't Post

Boy oh boy! what a mess! I tell you what to do. I can't fully take upon your statement regarding who causes the breakage. But! There's something fishy about what you said. Why would the salesman open the box for you and intended to make sure if it's alright, as if he already knew someone had incur the incident before it was taken out from the warehouse on his way to the cashier. however made sure you wouldn't pointed out when he asked you to check before signing the bill. I think, with your excitement and everything, you wouldn't pay attention that close anyway!..

Well, Listen! it don't matter who did, how it happen. but why should you stuck with the blame?. You loose only if you allow yourself to. You didn't see them dropping it and they didn't see you dropping likewise. The fact to the matter is: the display was cracked while you still at their facility. if you wanna pursue this thing, contact better business bureau and tell them exactly how I question this incident. if you paid by credit card, contact them immediately and inform them to refuse payment of any bestbuy charges and let them know the return of the item was refused by BEST BUY due to damage upon arrival. if you did pay a credit card thru your checking account? It takes 7 days to complete the process, but like I said, all is still on your favor within 30 days under any circumstances of best buy policy. Don't let them intimidate you.

denonjapan
made in japan

(This post was edited by denonjapan on Apr 19, 2007, 5:55 AM)

MOtvGuy
User

Apr 19, 2007, 10:26 AM

Post #3 of 7 (4985 views)
Shortcut
Re: [robustsfc] LG 42PC5D just bought from Best Buy...cracked and doessn't turn on! [In reply to] Can't Post

So, a BBY employee opened the box before you took it out of the store and verified for you the screen wasn't broke. (Smart on their part ehh?)

Per your own description, you were attempting to "pack it" into a small vehicle and had problems. You opened the box to try and make it easier to load when you noticed the cracked screen. In your attempt to pack that set into your smaller vehicle, you put undo stress on the unit and have cracked the plasma panel. It is glass BTW.

You cannot fix this set without replacing the Plasma panel, that's what's cracked. An expensive repair to say the least. Your PSP will deny any claim that involves physical abuse. Their is no manufacturers warranty for abuse. BBY's 30 day exchange doesn't include money back for a set thats been damaged.

In other words, if you bought a new car, drove it down the street and hit a telephone pole would you expect the dealer to give you another car?

Chalk it up as a lesson learned. <br>

(This post was edited by MOtvGuy on Apr 19, 2007, 10:30 AM)

robustsfc
New User

Apr 19, 2007, 10:23 PM

Post #4 of 7 (4976 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MOtvGuy] LG 42PC5D just bought from Best Buy...cracked and doessn't turn on! [In reply to] Can't Post

there's no way a new tv could have cracked from just trying to put it in. i did not use a excessive force either. i'm thinking there had to be some small damage already on the screen and then it expanded while trying to put it in the suv(not a "small car"). and plus there was even a dent on the top back part of the tv. and remember it doesn't even turn on! and the box was in perfect condition. and when I spoke to the home entertainment manager at Best Buy. he even said the only way it could have ended it up like that is if I dropped it or took it out of the box and dropped it.
anyways anyone ever seen what a cracked plasma tv looks like while in use? i thinking about trying t just get it to work but leave the cracks...maybe it won't look too bad

MOtvGuy
User

Apr 26, 2007, 11:18 AM

Post #5 of 7 (4959 views)
Shortcut

Hate to tell you this but the only way a plasma panel can crack is for the set to be dropped or undue stress put onto the face or frame in someway. They won't be sorta cracked.

Best Buy is protecting themselves by opening the sets in the stores because so many people are breaking these things due to poor handling. they're merely protecting themselves from getting ripped off.

And no, the panel will need to be replaced, it won't work otherwise if it's cracked.

rrobor
Veteran

Apr 27, 2007, 5:27 AM

Post #6 of 7 (4953 views)
Shortcut

Yes law is with them. If they opened the box for you to check for damage and you signed it was not then Im afraid you are calling yourself a liar. Stores like this have had this before, they made sure of their position before you walked away with a large sheet of glass. Whatever you do you are wasteing your time, move on.

denonjapan
Veteran

Jul 5, 2007, 11:23 PM

Post #7 of 7 (4824 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rrobor] LG 42PC5D just bought from Best Buy...cracked and doessn't turn on! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes law is with them. If they opened the box for you to check for damage and you signed it was not then Im afraid you are calling yourself a liar. Stores like this have had this before, they made sure of their position before you walked away with a large sheet of glass. Whatever you do you are wasteing your time, move on.

SlySlySlySlySlySlySlySlylol.........

denonjapan
made in japan

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.15 s on (CGI/1.1)