Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: Plasma TV Forum:
LG Plasma vs. LED-LCD

Grenadeh
New User

Aug 31, 2011, 3:31 AM

Post #1 of 4 (4210 views)
Shortcut
LG Plasma vs. LED-LCD Can't Post

I present to you a challenge, good forum goers.

I have my heart set on an LG 47LE8500. This is a very nice set for the price, ~1400 right now at NewEgg. It is full array LED with localized dimming, 9 mil dynamic ratio, 240 hz, all the internet crap, and very importantly to me, 1 ms response time. I'm not sure why it is so hard to find a TV that doesn't have a garbage response time except for this model - all the TVs i have seen are 4 or even 8 ms.

However, I cannot afford this TV yet and I've resigned to purchasing it next tax season, because it won't be a grievous loss to my wallet with that tax return coming back. I am not purchasing this TV yet and nothing will change my mind from doing so unless they release a model next year around the same price that is significantly better - in that case I will suck it up and wait.

Right now I am looking to get maybe a 42 inch or bigger, and I have looked at more TVs than a seasoned TV repair technician. I have stumbled across a 50" LG plasma that has what I deem decent specs. 3,000,000:1 ratio, 600 hz, etc. In comparison to my short-lived LG 46LD550 LCD tv, with it's 100,000:1, that is a giant increase, for less money than the old tv, and bigger screen.

I am also looking at many of LG's newer LED models and the main thing I am looking for with this purchase is a price-to-feature sacrifice. I have no qualms with paying 900 dollars for a 73" Mitsubishi DLP set for the living room - but in my own room I would like something I actually care about.

I have read many articles over the years comparing LCD to Plasma and to newer LED lit LCD tvs, and I could go either way.

Does anyone have any pros and cons for each one that I can read (I have read a lot of comparisons but it's been a little while and would like to hear additional input)

I am somewhat brand loyal to LG, though I could do with better warranties, and better customer service - the only two LG products I've ever owned, I've ended up breaking, but I liked them for a good long while before I broke them - one entirely on accident, one is still functional but it's quality degraded over time so I'm going to call that "me breaking it" (a Rumor).

The only things I refuse to buy are Seiki, Viera, RCA, probably Toshiba, and Panasonic - I may consider Vizio as I routinely watch one at my GF's and it's acceptable.

I am not overly concerned with sound quality - I plan on getting a system eventually as I hate non-at-least-5.1 and I struggle with it on my computer monitor only because it's less clutter to deal with.

My main concerns are glare, viewing angles, decent blacks, good signal via HDMI from my Radeon, a decent amount of HDMI for at least an Xbox and a Cable box, and set life. As I said i plan on buying a replacement in about 6 months anyway, but I'm looking to buy this set in the next 3ish months.

The only available spot in my room to put the TV places it within a reasonable angle from the window, where sunlight will definitely hit it even through the blinds - though I likely will never have time to watch it while the earth faces that way. Unless I rearrange my entire room, which I could do, and move my giant desk (and thus TV - I refuse to run an HDMI cable across the room in the event I want to play crap from my pc) to the opposite wall

(This post was edited by Grenadeh on Aug 31, 2011, 3:55 AM)

JohnRocks
User

Aug 31, 2011, 8:30 AM

Post #2 of 4 (4204 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Grenadeh] LG Plasma vs. LED-LCD [In reply to] Can't Post

Plasma technology has the better picture quality in normal to low room lighting conditions. Plasma, on the other hand, utilizes slight electric currents to excite a combination of noble gases, which glow red, blue, and/or green. LCD technology is not prone to screen "burn-in" or "ghosting" due to the nature of the technologies "twisting crystals."
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Rackmount LCD Monitor
USB KVM

Grenadeh
New User

Sep 7, 2011, 5:28 PM

Post #3 of 4 (4185 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JohnRocks] LG Plasma vs. LED-LCD [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm familiar with the technology. I've never seen a plasma in a real life situation- though obviously they look different even in stores.

I'm not concerned with image burn - LCD is actually very prone to ghosting, it just takes significantly longer for it to happen. I know this from experience because I have an LCD display that is several years old and after about 8 years it had some bad ghosting.

My room is normal to low lighting - there is one window and one lamp plus my LCD monitor that provide the only light (the lamp is an 11w low light Ikea lamp).

I think however the question may be null now because I have found both an LG47LW5600 and a Vizio XVT3D474SV for a stupid price ($1125 vs $950) so it may not even be relevant anymore. Assuming these prices still exist in about a month.

(This post was edited by Grenadeh on Sep 8, 2011, 3:29 AM)

okidoqui
User

Nov 23, 2012, 1:14 PM

Post #4 of 4 (2659 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Grenadeh] LG Plasma vs. LED-LCD [In reply to] Can't Post

Both, Plasma TV as well as LED/LCD TVs are popular and high in demand these days. Both TVs have their own unique features. However, if I had to choose between these two then I would have gone with LED TV over Plasma TV.
Plasma or LCD

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.15 s on (CGI/1.1)