Maxent Plasma tv

currahee99
New User

Sep 8, 2004, 4:03 PM

Post #1 of 20 (62224 views)
Shortcut
Maxent Plasma tv Can't Post

HI

I was just wondering if anyone here ever heard of the company Maxent or Regent, Are there Plasma TV's any good or has someone had any experience with them? I went to there website, maxentusa.com but they dont have a lot of information about themself. Is there a somewhere that i can find more information. Thanks in advance for your help.

JJL203
New User

Nov 15, 2004, 5:30 PM

Post #2 of 20 (61043 views)
Shortcut
Re: [currahee99] Maxent Plasma tv [In reply to] Can't Post

Stay away from Maxent as far as you can. They are also sold as SAMPO. I have/had a Sampo 42" Model PME42V3 since December of 2002. Recently started having problems with colors bleeding, lousy picture, and a high degree of pixelation. In other words, the picture sucks. Now for the bad news. Even though this set is LESS than 2 years old, Sampo/Maxent no longer makes parts for these models. I mean really, the freaking thing isn't even paid in full yet!!! Their customer support is awful, they don't give a rats $^&#$ about their customers and the company changes names every 2 years. Buy a brand name from a local dealer so you can have someone to go back to. I went out and bought a 53" DLP from Toshiba. At least the dealer and Toshiba will be around..

Jim

P.S. Looking for Sampo parts if anyone can help....

enygren
New User

Dec 27, 2004, 6:17 PM

Post #3 of 20 (59949 views)
Shortcut

This response is a little late, but I only recently discovered this forum. I saw the Maxent HD units at a local Costco around Nov. For $2500, it looked like a SUPER deal for HD (vs. ED). I did the on line search, found out they are assembled in the Los Angeles area, but basically the parent company was "Sampo" (as you've already found out) out of Hong Kong. Old reviews of Maxent and Sampo usually indicated they were a "good value" but not the best unit out there. At Costco, it's pic was as good as any in the store. It sold out in a week, and I found bought the last one in my area. Not all stores got them, and they would not be carrying them again. Not a good sign, but because of Costco's return policy, I feel pretty good.

Tuner is "fair" (and an option), as is the "AV module" that came with it. DVI, component, and several composite inputs, along with swivel table top stand. Wall bracket about $200 (plus shipping) from the website. Picture on HD is very good, though perhaps not as many picture adjusting features in the menu as some other units on the market. I have seen their "EDTV" models in Best Buy with crappy pictures, until someone in the store came by and chose the right sync, then they looked fine. I may regret it in 2-3 years, but for a bedroom model, it's a hard value to beat.

renniep
New User

Oct 13, 2005, 3:09 PM

Post #4 of 20 (52695 views)
Shortcut

I recently purchased the MaxentMX-42X3 from Costco and I could not be any happier with my purchase. The price was $1799 which was much better than any other offers from Best Buy, Circuit City, etc. It was very easy to hook up to my satellite system and the picture is beautiful! I compared the Maxent to many other brands like Toshiba, Panasonic, etc., and it had the best quality picture. The TV has a one year warranty and by using the American Express card at Costco you will have another years warranty for a total of two years.

As with any electronic device, like a TV, if it is going to go bad it will go bad in the first few weeks and with Costco's return policy you cannot go wrong with this TV.

New User

Oct 13, 2005, 10:21 PM

Post #5 of 20 (52669 views)
Shortcut

We bought a Maxent recently and are very happy with it. But, we cannot seem to program it with our Comcast service. The universal code for the remote is not available. Can anyone help?

Wolf Child
New User

Oct 14, 2005, 7:22 PM

Post #6 of 20 (52657 views)
Shortcut

Bought Maxent 42" from Costco about 3 months ago and I returned it about a month after I bought it. Not because I was dissatisfied with it, only becuase I had to have the best--Panasonic.

So I bought the panasonic (about $1000 more) and the picture is better. But worth the extra money? Well if your not an big time tv/move buff, its not worht the extra money.

If you are a tv/movie buff--it is worth the extra money.

I have a little regret as I am not the biggest tv/movie buff. However, the black levels on the Maxent were horrible and pixelization on fast moving HDTV was very evident.

One thing though, the regular analog tv looked a little better on the Maxent--go figure--and no it wasnt the EDTV.

If I had the choice right now to get the Maxent back along with the extra $1000 I spent on the Panasonic--I would probably keep the Panasonic

GOGOTV
New User

Dec 28, 2005, 7:25 PM

Post #7 of 20 (47465 views)
Shortcut
Re: [4845] Maxent Plasma tv [In reply to] Can't Post

HAVE YOU BEEN ABLE TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO PROGRAM MAXENT TV'S? I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY MAXENT TO DIRECTV, MY DIRECTV REMOTE DOESN'T HAVE A MAXENT CODE. CAN ANYONE HELP?

chipm
New User

Dec 30, 2005, 4:17 AM

Post #8 of 20 (47284 views)
Shortcut
Re: [GOGOTV] Maxent Plasma tv [In reply to] Can't Post

Our Maxent uses a Gateway code.

GOGOTV
New User

Dec 30, 2005, 7:27 PM

Post #9 of 20 (47249 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chipm] Maxent Plasma tv [In reply to] Can't Post

DO YOU REMEMBER WHAT THE CODE WAS BY CHANCE? iIN MY DIRECTV CODE LISTINGS THERE ARE NO GATEWAY CODES EITHER. THANKS FOR YOUR PREVIOUS REPLY

kayellen
New User

Jan 1, 2006, 8:28 PM

Post #10 of 20 (47132 views)
Shortcut
Maxent Plasma tv [In reply to] Can't Post

I bought the 42 inch Maxent HD TV from Costco at the end of summer. At $1699, it was great price and the picture is really good. I was able to connect to Cable without any problem and yesterday we noticed that there is already burning in.
Does anybody else have burn in?
I notice the burn in where the letterbox image ends and also where the mute sign is supposed to appear time after time. I did set the image to move every 10 seconds so that it prevents burning but obviously it did not make difference -- in fact, i have a line with twice the width. I only see the burn in when the screen is showing completely white images on the screen.
Luckily Costco said that they will be happy to take it back.
I am trying to see which other Plasma to buy? Pioneer? Panasonic? Sony? Any recommendations?
I specifically want tto buy a TV that allows me to show regular TV in 16X9 mode so that the letter box line burn in does not happen.
appreciate your responses...

mattyt0406
New User

Jan 3, 2006, 8:55 PM

Post #11 of 20 (46931 views)
Shortcut
Maxent Plasma tv [In reply to] Can't Post

How do i get rid of the bars on the side when i watch normal tv on this thing it only gives me options of swtiching from 16:9 to 4:3 and neither of these fill up the screen??

chkhkh
New User

Jan 7, 2006, 5:50 PM

Post #12 of 20 (46717 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mattyt0406] Maxent Plasma tv [In reply to] Can't Post

I am having the same problem. I ran the wires from my HD cable box into component 1. I can not get rid of the gray bars on the side. Should I run them into another part of the TV? Any ideas

chkhkh
New User

Jan 8, 2006, 4:11 PM

Post #13 of 20 (46639 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chkhkh] Maxent Plasma tv [In reply to] Can't Post

Mattyt0406

Check your cable box under menu. Depending on your box their is a screen call picure size. The defalis normal. You need to put picture on wide.

Soldner
New User

Jan 13, 2006, 8:00 PM

Post #14 of 20 (46339 views)
Shortcut
Re: [GOGOTV] Maxent Plasma tv [In reply to] Can't Post

The Maxent will work with the DirecTV box, here is what you do.

Hold down the TV Button and Mute for one second, then release both together.

Then if the TV button stays lit (red) usually, then hit channel up until the TV turns off, that means you have found the correct code. Then turn the TV back on by hitting the TV button on the DirecTV remote and it should turn on no problem.

JBT
New User

Jan 24, 2006, 7:47 PM

Post #15 of 20 (45677 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kayellen] Maxent Plasma tv [In reply to] Can't Post

If your screen already has burn-in, just bring it back to Costco. They will take it back up to two years after purchase. I confirmed this at the return desk, and it was implied they may even take it back after two years. I was curious because I was interested in the Maxent 50 inch on display...the picture on the display looked very good.

penguins
New User

Jan 27, 2006, 3:50 PM

Post #16 of 20 (45529 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JBT] Maxent Plasma tv [In reply to] Can't Post

some of the maxents (like the 42 at costco and the 50 at bestbuy) use panasonic panels. just be careful cuz the 42 at bestbuy and the 50 at costco do NOT use the panasonic panel. and like many other folks, i like the panasonic panels. i just don't care what name the plastic cover has on it.

JBT
New User

Jan 28, 2006, 12:56 PM

Post #17 of 20 (45473 views)
Shortcut
Re: [penguins] Maxent Plasma tv [In reply to] Can't Post

How do you determine which model numbers use the panasonic panels?

biegel2005
New User

Mar 4, 2006, 1:45 AM

Post #18 of 20 (42208 views)
Shortcut

I know this information is too late for you but maybe it will help someone else. I bought my 42 inch Maxent from best buy about 16 months ago for $1900. I declined the extra warranty for 300.00 which was a big mistake. The picture was great for 14 months. Then it start displaying vertical line then the picture started turning blue and yellow. I called best buy's repair service and gave them my model and number. They sent a repairman out the next day. When he got here, he said they don't work on maxent tv's. He said they're too hard to find parts for. He did look at my picture and said it will probably be around 400.00-500.00 to get it fixed. If I can find someone. I called Maxent's toll free number and can't get anyone to call back. All I ever get is an answering machine. If anyone can help getting this thing repaired please let me know. Repairman said I probably need a circuit panel.

techchris
Veteran

Mar 4, 2006, 7:02 PM

Post #19 of 20 (42186 views)
Shortcut
Re: [biegel2005] Maxent Plasma tv [In reply to] Can't Post

you dont say if the picture looks normal(apart from blue/yellow). can you see any other colours?is there only one vertical line and does it stay in the same place when you alter the aspect ratio of the picyure?

californiakid
New User

Dec 13, 2010, 4:54 AM

Post #20 of 20 (24772 views)
Shortcut

I got a 50" inch maxent plasma in feb 06. It broke in march 07. I tried to call a repairman and nobody would touch it because they couldnt get parts. I went to best buy where I bought it and argued with them for some time before they said they would send it to a repair center. I ended up paying 700 to get it fixed. The picture started flickering when first turned on and would go away after a little bit in about aug08. It slowly got worst over the next year. I bought a LCD to replace it and tried to fix it myself with no luck. Im going to make a pretty cool glass coffee table out of it. I will never buy another. Its a POS.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.17 s on (CGI/1.1)