Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: Plasma TV Forum:
New to Plasma...???

kennyjr
New User

Dec 29, 2004, 4:49 PM

Post #1 of 9 (3017 views)
Shortcut
New to Plasma...??? Can't Post

Hello all! I am considering purchasing a new 42" plasma EDTV by Panasonic. My intended use for this will be watching digital cable, dvd's, playing PS2, and occassionally using as a computer monitor... I am very worried, and confused about some 'basics' of functionability and features of this unit. The model number is: TH-42PD25U. The description says it is 'PC compatible', I guess that is via the 'HDMI' input... So a few questions about the basics:

1. Will this unit be capable of doing what I wish to do? (And will I be pleased with the results?, i.e. When gaming with my PS2, will it be in 'fullscreen' and not 'blotchy' or 'blurry'? And while using as 'PC monitor', will it be clear with little/no distortion and fullscreen?)

2. All this talk about 'burn in' with 'static images' has me scared to death to us my PS2 and/or computer with the plasma, should I be worried? And what the heck is the 'laymans' definition of static images anyway?

3. If burn in is truely a factor, what is a 'typical' length of time that would cause burn in? Example: I sometimes sit and play NCAA Football 2005 for 2 hours (or more), and there are some graphics that stay on the screen all the time (i.e. scoreboard, etc), OR I can watch ESPN all day, and there are plenty of their logos/scrolling updates etc. that could be 'constant' for long periods of time, would this result in 'burn in'?

4. I have researched, via Panny's website, how to 'break in' the unit as to not cause 'burn in', but to be honest, who wants to wait for the first 1000 hrs. of use before gaming on a plasma or using it as a computer moniter, so would I really have to wait?

5. 'HDMI' input??? What is that? I have a Sony Vaio laptop, with a 'seriel' port, which I believe is called a VGA port, for an external monitor, would this be considered adaquate for 'HDMI'? For reference, and those who may be computer 'savy', my laptop model is: 'PCG-FRV27'.

Thanks for any and all your help, and remember am VERY new to all of this and not sure I am using the proper 'language/descriptions' for my concern so, the less 'tech.' and more 'plain' the answer, the better...

Kenny

denonjapan
Veteran

Feb 1, 2005, 2:03 AM

Post #2 of 9 (2911 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kennyjr] New to Plasma...??? [In reply to] Can't Post

Listen kenny! You will be pleased to any of your applications as you mentioned except using it to your computer. The monitor is EDTV. You need an HDTV. and don't worry hooking it to your computer. if VGA to Serial port confuses you! lol.........(no offense!)

however, about burn-in issues! Panasonic displays by far the most immune to this subject. I haven't heard one!. Besides they have overly addressed the issue and overcome the possibility if incur to any of their display!.

kennyjr
New User

Feb 1, 2005, 2:27 PM

Post #3 of 9 (2905 views)
Shortcut
Re: [denonjapan] New to Plasma...??? [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks Denon... I guess my fears are that I will like the quality of picture, be able to view 'full screen' with most/all applicatons, and not worry about burn-in... Which you seem very confident that I will not have to worry about!

Thanks for the input, and any/all more is welcomed!

Kenny

denonjapan
Veteran

Feb 3, 2005, 1:36 AM

Post #4 of 9 (2891 views)
Shortcut

Just be aware the model:TH-42PD25UP is indeed a high definition but it's a consumer model. Inputs may vary and permanent. If I were you: TH-47PHD7UY is your best option. It has interchangeable slots. You can change it anytime.

kennyjr
New User

Feb 3, 2005, 4:22 AM

Post #5 of 9 (2887 views)
Shortcut

Denon, I don't really think I am concerned about the 'inputs', or at least I don't think I am... Since now you tell me it is HD, then it should work 'OK' as a computer monitor? Which leads me to my thoughts on inputs, unless they are totally random, even w/in same modesl, if I can verify that the unit has the inputs or capability for the few items I wish to connect, what would be the problem? I figure, RCA hook ups (red/white/yellow) for PS2, component for my digital cable, component for my DVD/VCR combo, and VGA for my laptop... And of course audio 'out' to my RCA surroundsound (for items that I don't already have directly connected to it, i.e. dvd/vcr)....

Remember, since I am totally new to all of this, maybe I am missing something huge when determining a model, inputs, features, etc... I liked the Panny due to overall industry ranking, price, and what I felt were great options (for what I needed)... And I haven't even researched enough, but when it says 'dual tuner PIP', I figure it would be cool as hell to be able to have 'split screen' (if I can configure PIP that way), and have one half watching one channel and the other half on another, or even, have one half watching t.v., and the other half for my PS2, but like I said, I have no idea if it has that capability, or if any (with PIP) would be able to do that.... Maybe you could even fill me in on that?

Thanks again for any help...

Kenny

denonjapan
Veteran

Feb 4, 2005, 2:31 PM

Post #6 of 9 (2865 views)
Shortcut

TH-42PD25UP model is that Im not aware of inputs. Since it's a consumer model. Im just assuming the basic as for hometheater applications, mainly watching motion pictures, games, I just heard but not really interested about consumer model having compatibility for computer and that is located at the front panel.................Again if i were you, I would go for the TH-42PHD6UY or the latest TH-42PHD7UY model. it doesn't contain a built-in tuner but You can always choose your own hdtv equipment since its a professional monitor. Also,Price is less than a consumer model........ I would like to mention also, that analog input such as the RCA hooking up to any of your sources is not going to work!...High definition monitor against this input (RCA, red, white and yellow) is just insufficient to deliver in high-definition monitor, Although it is provided to most of Plasma display. I have no idea why they even put regards analog connections when clearly its not working.

Having a plasma is huge pain in the butt when something you haven't thought about is coming and there staring at you! The worst thing is: when you're underbudget and you almost given up and end-up returning the unit instead just bec you are not willing to take the consequences anymore but Im telling you! it's all worth it. Being new to this tech. is good to your admission but it doesn't matter if you're willing!. I have done my own research before I made my decision. You have no idea! Sometimes it's best to go for audition and experience it, You will then know what's best for you. The model I recommend you will satisfy all your needs without question. PIP picture and all that! it's fun!

kennyjr
New User

Feb 4, 2005, 10:55 PM

Post #7 of 9 (2851 views)
Shortcut

Thanks for your advice Denon... I guess I will just need to go see the models (but not sure commercial models are available), and just rely on the salesmen or customer service to address my questions... I tried to research most of my questions, but you ask 10 people, you get 10 different answers.... Especially about the burn-in, and even the connections... The panasonic that I was looking at and referenced says it is a EDTV with HDMI input, so your saying it is HDTV? You can tell how confusing this is to me, and your right about another thing... When I only have a certain amount of $$ to spend, and of course I need certain accessories (wallmount and wiring), the Panansonic is the 'most' I can get, with the best features and stay at budget.... Now if there are going to be alot of additional costs that I seem to be unaware of, please feel free to fill me in, otherwise I will just hope for a trustworthy and knowledgable sales person, who knows the unit well enough to address my concerns...

Kenny

denonjapan
Veteran

Feb 5, 2005, 4:52 PM

Post #8 of 9 (2842 views)
Shortcut

I was checking that model originally you mentioned and you're right it's an EDTV plasma. However there's some model in that category which is HDTV. Im confused myself with Panasonic numerical to identify their capabilities as I have no interest in consumer world. I have always an eye on INDUSTRIAL PLASMA as they have always put more effort into them no matter whether they're EDTV or HD.

I will be honest to you with your other concerns mainly: FINANCIALLY. Knowledgeable salesman whether or not they're true to what they're saying. Remember it's always their priorty to do their "SALE". Sometimes it would be best to go for audition and have separate ideas that satisfies you and that's you're KEY to make the decision. On the consumer model: You spend bigger due to "all in one packaging". I have learned that: what makes the display expensive is not always their being higher resolution but the presence of complete video inputs such as: extra component, hdmi, or DVI-D. tuner, and set of speakers. As well as quality cabling.

In commercial world: most of them are $1,000 less compared to consumer ones. They seem to be an eye-catcher when it comes to price comparison However, Your inputs are minimal :X1 VGA, X1 COMPONENT, X1 RCA analog, X1 S-VIDEO. No DV1-I Input to most of them. No speakers, and You will need set top box for your tuner. That's why I always prefer PROFESSIONAL display in regards to choosing my own. I wouldn't call that additional cost!. It's just that you will be inclined to discover more about Plasma television or HDTV. It's a challenge!....Plasma doesn't accept cheap cables but MONSTER cable only. Otherwise you will receive static images on your screen. Remember your analog TV? the RCA seems to have great picture from a hifi vcr? and you can't tell the difference connected from S-VIDEO?...........well, not anymore! You will be doomed to discover all these!.

One last thing! If you are really concerned of using as computer monitor? get an HD MONITOR. You will not be impress with the performance of an EDTV thru VGA.

kennyjr
New User

Feb 7, 2005, 6:26 PM

Post #9 of 9 (2821 views)
Shortcut

Thanks Denon! And you make some good points, and other than making sure that certain 'units' have the capabilities that I need, then I just need to go to the 'audition' and see for myself! And I realized that the cables 'make' the quality in most cases, so I figured MONSTER was the only way to go! Also, I plan on contacting Panny, and speaking to a tech. rep. to get some more specifics straight from the manufacturer to address certain questions, that a salesperson might not be able too... And that, as you stated, is what I am prepared for... That the salesperson is just looking for the sale, though I will go in prepared to look for what I want/like!

And yea, I pretty much have figured that any/all Plasmas will not work real well as computer monitor, even HD...

Kenny

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.16 s on (CGI/1.1)