Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: Plasma TV Forum:
Occasional white spot on screen

marcva
New User

Nov 21, 2006, 10:16 PM

Post #1 of 6 (1505 views)
Shortcut
Occasional white spot on screen Can't Post

I have a Panny 50" HD screen that displays a white dot in the top right corner of the screen on occasion. It will do so across a couple different different sources, so I think that it is something in the screen. I thought that when pixels go bad, there is a permanent flaw in the screen. Is it possible for a screen to display intermittent problems like this?
Thanks,
MarcVA

MOtvGuy
User

Nov 22, 2006, 1:24 AM

Post #2 of 6 (1502 views)
Shortcut
Re: [marcva] Occasional white spot on screen [In reply to] Can't Post

A panasonic HD what?
Plasma? LCD? Rear Projector?

Be more specific.

marcva
New User

Nov 22, 2006, 1:58 AM

Post #3 of 6 (1500 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MOtvGuy] Occasional white spot on screen [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry.

Plasma. I've lost track of the model numberand am away from my files, but think something to the effect of TH-50PM50PU (?). Basically the PX model without the tuner that Costco sold for a bit.

It's less than a year old to give you a sense of model year.

MOtvGuy
User

Nov 22, 2006, 11:41 AM

Post #4 of 6 (1495 views)
Shortcut

Is this dot in the same place everytime? How long does it stay on the screen? Do you happen to notice it on top of pure black backgrounds, colored or can it happen at any time?

It is possible that you've got a pixel bad on the panel but I can assure you Panasonic will want whoever services that thing to try a number of cheaper things first before condeming the panel.

marcva
New User

Nov 22, 2006, 8:49 PM

Post #5 of 6 (1490 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MOtvGuy] Occasional white spot on screen [In reply to] Can't Post

Notice it in the same spot on the screen. It's within an inch or so from the top left corner. this area of the screen is virtually always black given the sizing issues of movies vs. screen size (This is a "Netflix" screen with almost no TV usage. and I don't use zoom).
The spot is pure white and looks to be several pixels since it's pretty bright. Can't reproduce reliably, which has made it slow to diagnose. I'm OK with alternatives other than replacement if they can assure a total fix. Just getting a senity check before I engage "the machine" in the formal process.
I'll try as many different sources as I can this weekend since I have a little more time off.
Thanks

MOtvGuy
User

Nov 23, 2006, 4:29 AM

Post #6 of 6 (1482 views)
Shortcut

If it's less than a year old you need to get a Panasonic servicer out to pull the set and get it into the shop for testing. A problem this intermittant may have to involve Pannie's tech support if a local authorized servicer can't get the thing to act up sufficiently to troubleshoot it.

If you bought this at Costco I believe they have a pretty liberal return policy. You might want to explore that.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.28 s on (CGI/1.1)