Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: Plasma TV Forum:
PROBLEM with Philips 32" Plasma Model - 32FD9954/17S

db1234
New User

Oct 22, 2005, 8:31 PM

Post #1 of 6 (4472 views)
Shortcut
PROBLEM with Philips 32" Plasma Model - 32FD9954/17S Can't Post

The set does not turn on. The red LED is on (the remote cannot turn the tv, there is no green light). I replaced batteries several times. The remote works fine with my old Magnovox SDTV set and the cable box. The problem started a week ago, but I was able to turn the TV during the week only after clicking the remote a few dozen times and moving anything that can possible interfere with the infrared signal away, disconnected the cable box, moved the computer further away etc. Twice, the TV turned on after I put my Mac asleep and woke it up. It's incridible! Usually it took 15-20 mins to turn the tv on before today. Today it took 2 hrs to turn the set on, but only after I moved my SDTV Magnavox (Philips' old marketing name) and turn on the dvd player at the same time. Looks like Philips has a huge design flaw - you can only turn the set on using the remote, although for the first 22 months I had this tv, it worked beautifully - the quality of picture etc. is superb.

Unfortunately there is only one authorized repair service in Manhattan (NYC), so it's difficult to shop around.

The tech guy from that service ran some computer diagnosics on the tv and told me that the Power Supply Panel (part #312235721442) is failing and needs to be built up or completely replaced ($900 to a $1000) plus labor (Sears sells it for $1072). He took the part to the shop to determine if it's repairable. I'll find out in a few days.

My question is, how do I know if what the repairman told is true -- that power supply panel is really failing and it's not something simpler like a broken circuit which would cost $20 to replace? They are in the business to make money. Any advice?

The $1000+ is a lot of money, but what other choice do I have? My warranty has expired and I can't just throw the set away and get a new one.

I thought Philips was a good investment that should last at least 5 years, not 22 months.

denonjapan
Veteran

Oct 23, 2005, 4:47 AM

Post #2 of 6 (4459 views)
Shortcut
Re: [db1234] PROBLEM with Philips 32" Plasma Model - 32FD9954/17S [In reply to] Can't Post

And how many times I mentioned that cases like this is BENIGNE!. Yes It's unfortunate! Let's say! Phillips gives you free-power supply, do you think it will take longer than same sequence? it's likely going to happen in another 22 months.

It's hard to beleive that PLASMA of same model can last longer than others. Old model or New that's their nature: unpredictible.

I want you to think twice and not to discourage you, the price to repair your repairman told you has no idea even the MANUFACTURER themselves has no idea once it fails. Who know's? we live in differrent sorroundings!

if you're willing to pay a $1000 just for the sake that you feel bad of disposing it, $500 dollars more you can get a brand new one!.....

denonjapan

made in japan

ericeric
New User

Nov 19, 2005, 4:06 AM

Post #3 of 6 (4394 views)
Shortcut
Re: [db1234] PROBLEM with Philips 32" Plasma Model - 32FD9954/17S [In reply to] Can't Post

I have same model and the same symptoms which started a day ago, although mine is only 15 months old. The SEARS salesperson told me these monitors would last 20,000 to 30,000 hours. I talked to a local tech today who said the fix would be in a range of 400-1100 dollars. But he also said that Philips is a lousy company when it comes to design and customer service and that fixing the unit does not mean it would not break in a few weeks. He said the pulse modulated power supplies along with the other circuit boards are affected by the heat and the components fail, without heat sinks or fans. He said that the JVC design is better but to hold off until JVC improves their resolution.

sjefferys
New User

Nov 25, 2005, 4:14 PM

Post #4 of 6 (4361 views)
Shortcut

I have the same problem. We have to click/reset and hope the TV will come on.

I called TV tech and the price is very costly, Consumer report suggest buy new.

Its very sad to get used to a nice TV and then holiday time it doesn't work.

SAD SAD

plasmamaster
New User

Dec 22, 2005, 7:37 PM

Post #5 of 6 (4269 views)
Shortcut

Common problem, bad PS module.

Buy from Philips a new one for $1500 or find somebody to rebuilt it.. like plasmatech@gmail.com

plasmamaster
New User

Dec 22, 2005, 7:43 PM

Post #6 of 6 (4267 views)
Shortcut

Brain surgeon spends $20 in material and charges $15000 for labor, guess why?

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.14 s on (CGI/1.1)