Panasonic TH-42PZ80U power issue

simplesolution
New User

May 5, 2011, 10:09 AM

Post #1 of 2 (2404 views)
Shortcut
Panasonic TH-42PZ80U power issue Can't Post

This set is less than 3 years old manufactured 7/08
The set powers on but all I hear is a relay clicking once & I see a faint backlight.
I am fairly new to repairing these sets but have replaced some caps on other sets,trouble is hear I don't see the obvious & I love to learn so I am all ears.

(This post was edited by simplesolution on May 5, 2011, 10:10 AM)

Repair man
Enthusiast

May 9, 2011, 4:23 AM

Post #2 of 2 (2387 views)
Shortcut
Re: [simplesolution] Panasonic TH-42PZ80U power issue [In reply to] Can't Post

This TV is a Plasma TV & does not have back lights like an LCD TV would have.
One of the most common things with that symptom is a problem with either the upper or lower buffer board.
Disconnect the upper buffer board from the YSUS board then try the set & see if it powers on (If there's enough play in the flex cables where the buffer board connects to the screen, you can leave it connected to the screen but remove it from the YSUS board).
If the set does not power on when you press the power button, reconnect the upper buffer board & disconnect the lower buffer board from the YSUS board & try powering on the set again (once again if there is enough play in the flex cables leading to the screen you can just remove it from the YSUS board & leave it connected to the screen).
If it powers on with the above tests you will only have half of the screen which would indicate which ever buffer board is disconnected will be faulty.
Unplug the TV from the power while removing & reconnecting boards.
If you are not sure of what boards I am referring to then take some pictures of the boards & email them to me & I'll point them out & email them back to you (you can find my email address by clicking on my user-name). Try to get a picture of all the boards in one shot & then one of each board.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you (or anyone reading this post) have any further questions or need clarification please feel free to contact me direct; you can find my email address by clicking on my user-name.

Learn Plasma TV Repair

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.14 s on (CGI/1.1)