Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: Plasma TV Forum:
Philips 42PF9630A/37 CLASS ACTION

Fritz911
New User

Jul 23, 2006, 11:03 PM

Post #1 of 7 (3952 views)
Shortcut
Philips 42PF9630A/37 CLASS ACTION Can't Post

For everyone that own this television: Turn it off with the remote and a red LED should turn on. If you don't see a red LED when in standby mode then there is a problem with your television and it doesn't turn off completely, this is only the beginning of the problems, read on. (Put your ear close to your TV when in standby and you'll hear high frequency noises and it's just another indication that your television is not off. Sometimes when you turn the television off and you turn your lights off you will see a white glow on the television and you have to unplug it to turn it off.
When connected to a Comcast box the television will flash and then go Black when some of the Comcast menu's are displayed. This is not a Comcast or your cable provider issue, it’s a component input failure on you Philips television.
After about 1 to 3 hours of viewing the television will go off (Green LED is still on) and then turn back on within 20 to 30 seconds. The television is over heating.
The speakers make a terrible vibrating noise with low frequency speech or music and it doesn't matter how loud or low the volume is set to.
I bought mine from Best Buy and it took me more than 11 months and many calls to get it replaced by Philips (VERY BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE) The second television had the same problems. I even tested the one that Best Buy has on display in their store and it has the same defects.
I believe that all the Philips Plasma televisions with the same model number have the same design defects. What are the odds to find 3 out of 3 televisions with the same defects?
My lawyer is very anxious to take this case on and he told me to find more people with the same problems and we can turn this into a class action against Philips and get them to recall, replace, repair or refund it.
SO PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU HAVE THE SAME PROBLEMS WITH YOUR PHILIPS AND LEAVE SOME KIND OF WAY FOR ME TO CONTACT YOU. It doesn't matter how old your television is.

(This post was edited by Fritz911 on Jul 24, 2006, 12:27 AM)

techchris
Veteran

Jul 24, 2006, 12:32 PM

Post #2 of 7 (3939 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Fritz911] Philips 42PF9630A/37 CLASS ACTION [In reply to] Can't Post

this is a common problem in Europe. Philips will tell you that the tv is "up to manufacturers specifications" ie its as good as it gets. as far as I know the faults were never resolved and I dont think you will get far with Philips, as you have noted their customer service is next to zero. most of the time they wont even talk to their technical agents they will say "look on the website, if the faults not listed there is no cure".
good luck in your quest anyway I suspect it would be easier to find the Holy Grail!!

Away
New User

Aug 21, 2006, 5:11 PM

Post #3 of 7 (3871 views)
Shortcut
Re: [techchris] Philips 42PF9630A/37 CLASS ACTION [In reply to] Can't Post

My 42" 9630A has been acting up since new as well. When switching between a HD and non-HD channel the TV will either freeze up with a green screen or go all funny with green lines all over. I had the Philips guy out and he said it was because of my HDMI- DVI connection, so i swapped cable boxes and now am running HDMI-HDMI and it STILL has the problem. Oddly enough I don't think it happens (can't remember right now) when getting a signal through coaxial cables.
I'm not sure what to do at this point... Has anyone else heard of this problem or experienced it themselves?

Fritz911
New User

Feb 20, 2007, 6:00 AM

Post #4 of 7 (3576 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Away] Philips 42PF9630A/37 CLASS ACTION [In reply to] Can't Post

Mine did that too in the beginning. You need to go online to the philips web site and download the newest update for your television. Install the update on a memory card, turn your tv off, plug the card in and then turn your television back on, it will install the update.

Away
New User

Feb 20, 2007, 5:31 PM

Post #5 of 7 (3571 views)
Shortcut

Yep, exactly what I did. Fixed it for good.

denonjapan
Veteran

Mar 13, 2007, 8:39 AM

Post #6 of 7 (3531 views)
Shortcut

I hate to tell you this but your lawyer is just as crook as the 3 out of 3 with same defects.

denonjapan
made in japan

MOtvGuy
User

Mar 13, 2007, 12:36 PM

Post #7 of 7 (3528 views)
Shortcut
Re: [denonjapan] Philips 42PF9630A/37 CLASS ACTION [In reply to] Can't Post

All sets are technically on even though the power is supposedly off.

Now you see whats wrong with this society, some crook lawyer is constantly trying to file class action suits against deep pocket corporations in order to line his pockets. Common people like the original poster are all too quick to get in line like lemmings with the thought of big money in their pocket too.

It's a TV set that's man made. It will fail and some of them aren't made very well.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.16 s on (CGI/1.1)