Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: Plasma TV Forum:
Philips 42PF9976/37 and 480p question

veggeep
New User

Oct 10, 2005, 1:41 PM

Post #1 of 2 (1776 views)
Shortcut
Philips 42PF9976/37 and 480p question Can't Post

Greetings! This is my first post here; after searching the existing threads for answers, I don't see my particular issue yet, so here goes:

After weeks of troubleshooting cables and devices in every possible combination, I have reached the conclusion that my Philips 42" plasma cannot display 480p signal on either the component or HDMI inputs. The problem came to my attention when I hooked up a simple progressive scan DVD player, and the resulting picture became discolored, and occasionally dropped out completely.

After dorking around with my Comcast cable box, which allows me to upscale all digital signals to 480p, 720p, or 1080i, I discovered that the cable box produced the same erratic results on 480p. Everything else works fine.

So, to bandaid the issue, I bought an upscaling DVD player, that lets me run DVDs at 1080i, though only through the HDMI input (copy protected DVDS will not upscale to 1080i on the component outputs). Granted, this works wonders for compression artifacts and overall picture richness, but it forces me to run all my DVD material in interlaced mode. That defeats the entire purpose of why I bought a widescreen digital TV in the first place. The literature lists 480p as one of the signal modes supported by this TV.

Has anyone else had this 480p failure issue with this (or any other Philips models plasma)?

Thanks in advance,

Brett

denonjapan
Veteran

Oct 11, 2005, 12:25 AM

Post #2 of 2 (1768 views)
Shortcut
Re: [veggeep] Philips 42PF9976/37 and 480p question [In reply to] Can't Post

Im not particular to phillips but Im gonna say it anyway! could it be in the hidden MENU of the tv related to PROGRESSIVE scan? Im thinking your tv is either overscanning/underscanning the image set to that mode 480p.

denonjapan

made in japan

(This post was edited by denonjapan on Oct 11, 2005, 12:30 AM)

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.14 s on (CGI/1.1)