Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: Plasma TV Forum:
Pixelation on new Panasonic

denhigh
New User

Aug 29, 2005, 5:57 PM

Post #1 of 9 (3143 views)
Shortcut
Pixelation on new Panasonic Can't Post

I apologize if I am repeating a previous post. I recently purchased a Panasonic plasma HDTV TH-37PX50U. I am using a DirecTV HD DVR HD10-250 receiver. When the TV was delivered and we hooked it to the receiver with an HDMI cable, the HD stations DirecTV carries (HBO-HD, ESPN-HD, etc.) look IMMACULATE but the rest of the stations look rather poor, some worse than others. Most of the stations have a lot of pixelation around the edge of the screen and things like on-screen graphics and detailed moving objects tend to have a lot of pixelation. This is particularly noticeable with sporting events. The guy who delivered the TV said this was just the way it was, that "HDTVs look crappy on the analog stations." He suggested it might look better if I tried using coax instead of HDMI. Well my receiver doesn't have a coax output so I tried s-video, which helped a bit but didn't fix the problem entirely (plus it necessitates switching the input and receiver resolution back and forth when changing between HD and non-HD channels). I am wondering if there is a way to fix this or if it is just something I will have to live with. Most of the programs I watch are on (natively) analog stations, so this makes the TV of somewhat less value. Any thoughts?

Robroy
User

Aug 29, 2005, 10:20 PM

Post #2 of 9 (3138 views)
Shortcut
Re: [denhigh] Pixelation on new Panasonic [In reply to] Can't Post

Have you tried component video?

denhigh
New User

Aug 30, 2005, 1:58 PM

Post #3 of 9 (3125 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Robroy] Pixelation on new Panasonic [In reply to] Can't Post

Now I have. Component video was even worse. I also swapped out all of the cables except the coax running from the satellite to the receiver, which I am beginning to think might be the problem (although I do get a 85-90% strength signal on both inputs).

Nalimar
New User

Aug 31, 2005, 5:18 PM

Post #4 of 9 (3106 views)
Shortcut

I've had similar issues when I upgraded my cable service to HDTV. Since I'm on coaxial, the intensity of the grainyness isn't that bad, but if you have an HD receiver then I'm afraid your stuck with that picture quality. Took me a while to get use to it myself :-(

denonjapan
Veteran

Sep 2, 2005, 6:21 AM

Post #5 of 9 (3087 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Nalimar] Pixelation on new Panasonic [In reply to] Can't Post

Your situation was my constant battles to those who don't really understand HDTV monitor. There are lots of individuals who don't get the idea of "one thing" and what it meant to be . THE HIGHER THE BETTER! of course! well it seems upon hearing it, it's really self-convincing you got the best! But once the REALITY Hits you then you stucked in middle asking why is this! why is that!.........DENHIGH! you choose HDTV monitor!............ I would say: SAME THOUGHT "the higher, the better! ..........without considering the VIEWING materials you will encounter the MOST in majority of stations are going to be broadcasted the WAY it should be display in a HDTV screen. They say: " your CAR burns better ONLY!when you use PREMIUM " Its too bad! In entertainment WORLD, You can't blame the PAST we haven't then! .We have more VIDEOPHILES that are captured to the maximum resolution ( but not HD QUALITY) and you should understand that "CAMERAS that has been used during that time are not HDTV cameras"....

"HDTV MONITOR ARE LESS CAPABLE DISPLAYING THOSE IMAGES/ RESOLUTIONS CAUSE ANALOG SIGNALS ARE TOO LOW FOR YOUR HDTV MONITOR". REASON,you're experiencing those PIXELIZATION. "EITHER YOU HAVE IT OR YOU DON'T" It has nothing to do which connections you are currently using. SIGNALS THAT ARE BROADCASTED MAINLY IN HD STATIONS are NOT / can NOT guarrantee FULL HD QUALITY All the time. It doesn't matter whether if it's DISPLAYED PROGRESSIVE SCAN if the original takes, presented as UPCONVERTED materials? IF your HD MONITOR disagrees?.THOSE PIXELS IS THERE TRYING TO TELL YOU! It's too bad your MONITOR can't talk BACK ( don't mean to be funny!) but ONLY you got to understand this is an " ONGOING DEBATE". Most people IGNORE!

In JAPAN, We share same standard in U.S. (NTSC). And beleive me, we are not any different as far as Broadcasting is CONCERN and we have reached the HIGHEST allowed by the FCC.EXCEPT I Can say " we understood those uncertainty.

HDTV MONITOR IS COMPLIANT MAINLY IN TRULY HIGH DEFINITION MATERIALS AND SUCH DON'T EXPECT ANY BETTER DOWNCOVERTING IT UNLESS YOUR MONITOR HAS GOOD BUILT-IN SCALAR. PLEASE DON'T AMONG YOURSELF IN THIS CONFUSION.

Sincerely

denonjp

MADE IN JAPAN

(This post was edited by denonjapan on Sep 2, 2005, 6:26 AM)

Robroy
User

Sep 8, 2005, 3:30 PM

Post #6 of 9 (3044 views)
Shortcut

Unfortunately you will have to be patient and wait for more HDTV content to become available. More and more is coming out every day and high defintiton DVDs should be flying off the store shelves by the summer of 2006. We have to take the good with the bad at this point. HDTV monitors don't do a good job dispalying crappy standard content. Think of it like this, when you take a picture using an average digital camera it looks OK, but then blow it up to twice the size and see how blurry it gets. Also, it's not so much that the standard picture is so bad, but you are able to watch HDTV now and then when you go back to standard it looks much worse. It's like if you forget to put your glasses on in the morning and don't think about it for a few hours, then you remember and put your glasses back on and things looks so much clearer then you take your glasses off again and are amazed that you didn't notice earlier.

denhigh
New User

Sep 8, 2005, 3:59 PM

Post #7 of 9 (3042 views)
Shortcut

Yeah, I understand all the technical issues people are bringing up here, and (mostly) understood them before I bought the TV. I guess what I didn't convey properly is that the picture is REALLY REALLY bad on the SD stations, and actually after some review a good bit of the HD was not so hot as well. I had a TV installation guy at my house to install a rooftop off-air antenna and he said he had installed plenty of plasmas and never seen anything like that on a Panasonic. In particular there seemed to be a lot of "artifacting", more (he said) than should be expected or acceptable.

So in any case the problem then was either with this particular model, this specific TV, or something with my satellite signal (I was able to rule out the receiver). I have a very strong signal so I doubt that was the problem. So I went over to Circuit City and had them show me a wide variety of HD sets on both HD and SD stations. To me the 42" Panasonic looked much better than the 37" at my house (and the Panasonic plasma was much better than the other comparable plasmas and FAR better than DLP or LCD-projection) so I traded the 37" in for the 42", which didn't cost me anything because the prices had come down in the last 2 weeks. The new set will get delivered tomorrow, and hopefully the issues will be resolved to a degree I am comfortable with (and as you say there will only be more HD programming as we move forward). In any case, thanks for everyone's input.

Robroy
User

Sep 8, 2005, 4:25 PM

Post #8 of 9 (3040 views)
Shortcut

Smart move, it did sound like you got a bad TV, my SD PQ is not great but it is not that bad. Some even look pretty good, depending on the channel. The Sci fi channel has the little black bars on the top and letterbox sides so if I choose "full screen mode" I can see the whole image without stretching and it looks very good. The HDTV looks great on my TV, even the 720p. I have an 42 inch Plasma LG DU-42PX12X, what is interesting is the image looks better with using component video than with DVI? Figure that out?

(This post was edited by Robroy on Sep 8, 2005, 4:28 PM)

Wolf Child
New User

Sep 30, 2005, 7:48 PM

Post #9 of 9 (2902 views)
Shortcut

I got the Panisonic Th-42px50U and the picture when watching regular DTV is really bad. I just got it yesterday and the HDTV and DVD look great, but as far as DTV it looks horrible. This TV is supposed to be an HDTV and EDTV from what I can understand. Is this way off or am I right on?

"HDTV (1080i, 720p) and EDTV (480p) Display Capability. This Plasma TV enables you to view high-definition or enhanced-definition TV programming in the 1080i or 480p signal format. A DTV signal must be present in your area, and an external over-the-air antenna may be required."

Does this mean it can also be an EDTV?

I have a Maxent 42", paid $1700 for it and while the HD isnt nearly as good, the DTV was much better.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.15 s on (CGI/1.1)