Plasma Picture Adjustments

Jerry8A
New User

Oct 16, 2005, 1:20 AM

Post #1 of 4 (2588 views)
Shortcut
Plasma Picture Adjustments Can't Post

Plasma Picture Adjustments –

I have a 42”Samsung SP-R4212 EDTV. I am familiar with analog TV sets with CRTs and their internal adjustments (for technicians). However, plasma TVs are new to me.

I recently purchased a 42” Plasma TV and notice some details and sharpness seems to be a little soft. I notice it when looking at a person’s eyes and skin detail (wrinkles). The details appear out of focus.

So, my question is do plasma TVs have internal adjustments for focus and/or sharpness? I have optimized all of the customer controls.

Thanks,

Jerry Reeder

(This post was edited by Jerry8A on Oct 16, 2005, 1:49 AM)

denonjapan
Veteran

Oct 17, 2005, 2:06 AM

Post #2 of 4 (2565 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Jerry8A] Plasma Picture Adjustments [In reply to] Can't Post

Set it back to manufacturer's original settings. Still! if you aint satisfied of what you're looking? simply bec It's SAMSUNG!

denonjapan

made in japan

Robroy
User

Oct 17, 2005, 11:04 PM

Post #3 of 4 (2563 views)
Shortcut
Re: [denonjapan] Plasma Picture Adjustments [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't set it to the manufatures base adjustments, they are almost always off, they set the contrast and brightness way to high so it looks bright on the show room floors. It is best to get the "Video essentials" calibration DVD and calibrate your Plasma. If you want to just try it yourself, I would recommend contrast and brightness at 40, color in the middle (50) and sharpness at 20. The details will appear out of focus if you are watching a SD (480) signal on an HDTV set. When you watch an HDTV signal of at least 720 it will look much better.

(This post was edited by Robroy on Oct 17, 2005, 11:07 PM)

Jerry8A
New User

Oct 18, 2005, 5:23 AM

Post #4 of 4 (2557 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Robroy] Plasma Picture Adjustments [In reply to] Can't Post

Robroy –

Thanks for your return. I agree with you that default settings are usually not optimized for home viewing. From my analog TV days, I am thinking that another aspect may be in play. Some designs for analog (CRT) TV often had problems with what is called blooming at highlights. And to minimize this problem, the manufacturers designed CRT beam limiting and/or clipping circuits for their video. Now, knowing that plasmas have the ability to have screen burn, it might be Samsung (and others) have scaled back their highlights to minimize this problem. I say this because where I see the problem is in a person’s eyes where the whites appear out of focus. I can also see it in some white lettering. I probably should not have mentioned the word “detail,” although one could classify it as such. So, it is my thinking the problem is designed in by Samsung by choice.

I understand your comments about SDTV and HDTV. My set is an EDTV and what I have read on the Internet, a SDTV Comcast Cable signal, which is what I have, should look okay . However, I should explain my picture is very good in all aspects except the white highlights in the eyes and the defect is minor. Also, I have seen this same problem when the TV source is in a retail store or on my cable. That is why I tend to lean toward the fact that the problem is a design issue.

Also, my original question in this forum was to find out if plasma TVs did have a focus adjustment on their main circuit boards that a technician could adjust if required. Although that may not be my problem, I would like to know the answer if someone out there would know.

Jerry

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.15 s on (CGI/1.1)