Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: Plasma TV Forum:
Possible Burn-in on Panasonic plasma

denhigh
New User

Feb 23, 2006, 3:34 PM

Post #1 of 6 (1819 views)
Shortcut
Possible Burn-in on Panasonic plasma Can't Post

I own a 42" Panasonic plasma -- not sure of the model # offhand but I bought it about 6 months ago. Quite frequently I watch a channel called Setanta Sports. Never more than 3-4 hours in a row but probably 3 times a week or so. Setanta always puts their logo (mostly bright red) in the upper right (usually) or left of the screen for all programming (but not during commercials). Yesterday I was watching another channel, and for a moment the upper right of the screen was all white, and I unquestionably saw a faint Setanta logo there. After restarting my heart I carefully watched that corner of the screen for a long time and never could make out the logo again.

Anyway, having no technical background on this product I am wondering: Is this the first sign of burn-in (seems obvious that it is but I can always hold out hope)? Will it get worse and how fast? Is there any way I can continue to watch this channel and prevent it from getting worse (shorter viewing periods/less frequent/changing channels during viewing/other)? Will I begin to get burn-in of other logos of channels I watch frequently (NBC, etc.)? I love this TV but can't face the prospect of having to replace it after just a year or two.

techchris
Veteran

Mar 1, 2006, 8:11 PM

Post #2 of 6 (1781 views)
Shortcut
Re: [denhigh] Possible Burn-in on Panasonic plasma [In reply to] Can't Post

this is a common problem when tv company's put logos on the top corner. the first hundred hours or so are most susceptical so keep the brightness and contrast down.once the screen is burnt that is it. some manufacturers have a screen burn option in the service menu which tries to burn the whole screen the same as the burnt bit so you dont notice the writing,I will try to get info from panasonic technical dept and post the results asap.

denonjapan
Veteran

Mar 2, 2006, 4:36 AM

Post #3 of 6 (1774 views)
Shortcut

Here's our common natural wonders!. To avoid your worries and hoped you did!. Do turn the AGC ON > this will able your screen to wooble when certain part is constantly lit, and you won't notice it. if your imagination does see's things on the screen? I would guess it's not too late but it will take time to wash it out! 3-4 x / week is nothing! and that depends how your brightness settings has been. Cause if indeed is there?. You're the 1st ever I have ever heard on PANASONIC owners. Watch those pre-cautions!

denonjapan

made in japan

denhigh
New User

Mar 16, 2006, 6:13 PM

Post #4 of 6 (1711 views)
Shortcut
Re: [denonjapan] Possible Burn-in on Panasonic plasma [In reply to] Can't Post

Okay, I have been watching this very carefully for a while now and here is what I have observed. Whenever there is a bright logo on the screen for any period of time, afterwards that logo is visible for a while whenever it is white or light colored in that area. Interestingly this is true even if the TV has been off for several hours; if the last thing that was watched had a logo that logo is visible. However, after a while the logo seems to wash out. The time it takes for this to happen seems to vary. So...is this something I need to worry about or is this normal? As long as I don't leave the logo up there for many hours in a row I should be okay, right? FYI I did lower the brightness from the factory setting but couldn't find the other settings you refer to.

techchris
Veteran

Mar 16, 2006, 8:00 PM

Post #5 of 6 (1708 views)
Shortcut

you may have a fault with the sustain voltage to the screen,usually on the power supply board on most plasmas. I would get professional help from your dealer as I have not noticed this problem on a panasonic before.

denonjapan
Veteran

Mar 17, 2006, 1:30 AM

Post #6 of 6 (1701 views)
Shortcut

denhigh! your BRIGHTNESS settings should be -30. You can max the PICTURE setting to +30, also the SHARPNESS to +30 as well to balance the exact color temp of your display. I have the PROFESSIONAL display at home as well as Consumer. I need to know the exact model you have? However! according to your explanation: before and after turning it off?. that's natural to me, but that's only visible with no lights environment. that's nothing to worry about! Edgy huh!

denonjapan

made in japan

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.14 s on (CGI/1.1)