Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: Plasma TV Forum:
Question about Plasma Screen

McBain
New User

Apr 7, 2013, 2:14 PM

Post #1 of 1 (1453 views)
Shortcut
Question about Plasma Screen Can't Post

Newbie and I am looking for some help. I did a quick search and couldn't find what I was looking for so I thought someone here might be able to help me. I have a Samsung PN51D530A3FXZA which is 16 months old.. Came home a few nights ago and my son told me the tv shut off and wouldn't turn back on. I first isolated the X main (Z sustain) board as having a short between power and ground. After inspecting the board and not seeing any physical damage I started to troubleshoot and determined the board has a number of bad FETs. This made me think that there was other damage so I rang out the little extension board which hangs off the X Main board and has two ribbon cables connected to it. The board only has four capacitors on it. I found that every connection is shorted together (it looks like all except two are supposed to be shorted). So I unplugged the upper ribbon cable and probed the outer most pins and they were still shorted. I removed the lower ribbon cable and the short went away. I plugged the upper ribbon cable back in and there is no short. I plug the lower ribbon cable back in and there is a short. I\t looks like this ribbon cable goes directly to the screen. Is it possible for the plasma screen to be shorted itself? If so I am guessing that screen replacement is not an option (cheap one)? Can anyone provide any information as to the state of the screen or recommendations? TIA

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.14 s on (CGI/1.1)