Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: Plasma TV Forum:
Too dark!

Church
New User

Dec 2, 2004, 7:17 AM

Post #1 of 8 (3020 views)
Shortcut
Too dark! Can't Post

I got the W4200HD from dell, and I find the darks are extremely dark! For movies and TV I find it perfect, however for VideoGames It seems to be really dark in unlit areas. I tried playing with the contrast, Brightness, and Transperancy but still seems to dark!At first I was using RCA's for my PS2 but now I run my PS2 off a Universal MadCat S-video cord, the picture is sharper and better but dark! Any help!?

denonjapan
Veteran

Dec 2, 2004, 2:53 PM

Post #2 of 8 (3013 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Church] Too dark! [In reply to] Can't Post

Are you using a VIDEO SWITCH ( SELECTOR) ? If so, discontinue use and possibly avoid selectors or extension. Make all connections direct only as much as possible.

Church
New User

Dec 3, 2004, 2:18 AM

Post #3 of 8 (3006 views)
Shortcut
Re: [denonjapan] Too dark! [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a direct hook up to my TV from all my electronics! e.g. DVD, Digital Cable box, and PS2. The plasma display is awesome just really dark in the unlit areas!

denonjapan
Veteran

Dec 3, 2004, 6:46 AM

Post #4 of 8 (3002 views)
Shortcut

Let me understand you clearly!, Are you referring UNLIT AREA = as the OBJECT's backround?.

Are you experiencing this way the day after the display was installed. How long ago?

Church
New User

Dec 3, 2004, 12:34 PM

Post #5 of 8 (2996 views)
Shortcut

Well if I'm watching a movie and the movie is on a night time scene, it's seems to be black the areas that should be just shadowed. My definition of shadowing is - a dark area but still being able too see the objects inside of the shadowed area. My Plasma's definition of shadowing - A dark area and being able to see nothing in the shadowed area. I hope this makes sense cause I'm having a difficult time explaining it!

Thanks

Church!

denonjapan
Veteran

Dec 3, 2004, 2:36 PM

Post #6 of 8 (2993 views)
Shortcut

Now! I understand you fully. That's all nature of Plasma displays being High-definition and picture almost unreal. You have a good display however at 2300:1 contrast ratio.

I wanna ask you: does your display has features from your remote control where you can change the MODE SETTINGS? it should be on top when you push PICTURE MENU: AUTO, STANDARD, CINEMA, DYNAMIC.= OK, when watching dvd movies with lots of nights scenes like you mentioned, always go on CINEMA mode= this mode: almost bluish> tends to wash out especialy the backround areas where tranparency is absolute visible at necessary part of the movie. Adjusting the brightness, color , tint has nothing to do with it unless you are in the right MODE settings. be very careful when adjusting the ADVANCED SETTINGS as well. you got to understand you have HDTV monitor that has better accuracy than EDTV model although your eyes don't seem to agree cause you're only watching movies. There's nothing wrong with your display!

Church
New User

Dec 4, 2004, 10:06 AM

Post #7 of 8 (2981 views)
Shortcut

I looked in my menu display and the only feature that I see are, Red, Blue, Natural, warm. Are these what your talking about?

denonjapan
Veteran

Dec 5, 2004, 3:22 PM

Post #8 of 8 (2959 views)
Shortcut

Do you still have the owner's MANUAL?. It should guide you there thoroughly. ( Only the video part ). You have just mentioned the temperature of the display which is the last control on video. Im pretty sure you haven't navigate them all yet. let me know!

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.14 s on (CGI/1.1)