Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: Plasma TV Forum:
Transformer Buzz on Panasonic TH42PHD5

raindog
New User

Aug 4, 2010, 12:41 AM

Post #1 of 7 (1688 views)
Shortcut
Transformer Buzz on Panasonic TH42PHD5 Can't Post

My TV is about eight years old and the picture still looks great but there is a transformer on the power supply board that's starting to buzz loud enough that it's a little obnoxious. The loudness of the buzz changes as the picture changes. My question is, does this happen because of the transformer itself, or could it have something to do with another board or component and the load it's putting on the power supply? I checked most of the caps on the power supply PCB but didn't find any that were bad.

techchris
Veteran

Aug 4, 2010, 7:47 PM

Post #2 of 7 (1679 views)
Shortcut
Re: [raindog] Transformer Buzz on Panasonic TH42PHD5 [In reply to] Can't Post

try putting a little pressure on the transformer using an insulated plastic stick.if the noise stops then probably the windings have become loose and the thing is resonating, so you could try sealing it with silicone or changing it. more likely is something causing excess current to pass through and thats the difficult problem if the tv is working ok.

darstr
User

Aug 10, 2010, 7:39 PM

Post #3 of 7 (1663 views)
Shortcut

CrazyI had the same set do the same thing on me. After countless hours of looking and testing and changing parts, and finally to think it was really the panel buzzing. . it hit me in the face. Look at your sc and ss boards. See all of the beads? Coat those puppies with a silicone or poxy. You will tell a difference instantly.

raindog
New User

Aug 16, 2010, 3:39 PM

Post #4 of 7 (1642 views)
Shortcut
Re: [darstr] Transformer Buzz on Panasonic TH42PHD5 [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a fairly quiet buzz from the SS and SC boards but that isn't where the loud buzz is. I'm not sure what you mean by "beads" but the boards do have some chip type resistors and capacitors. They are tiny square and rectangle shaped. I've poked around and applied pressure on those boards and the transformers on the power supply (P1 board) with a plastic tool but I don't hear any difference in the buzz when I do.
I think I'll just tolerate it as long as I can and then sell the TV to someone who needs a monitor in an area where people don't have to sit relatively near it in a small, quiet room so the buzz wouldn't be as noticeable. Thanks for the help.

darstr
User

Aug 16, 2010, 3:46 PM

Post #5 of 7 (1640 views)
Shortcut

Crazy The beads I am refurring to are all along the transistors that are on the heat shields on the ss and sc board. They look like little wires in a u shape with a little bead on them. They are all in a row. I am almost possitive that will take away the buzz. I know it sounds like it id coming from the power supply, but take my word for it. I am sure you will be happy with the outcome.

raindog
New User

Aug 20, 2010, 3:21 PM

Post #6 of 7 (1625 views)
Shortcut
Re: [darstr] Transformer Buzz on Panasonic TH42PHD5 [In reply to] Can't Post

Your boards must be different versions than mine.
Here is a link to a picture of my SC board.
http://rosati-mo.com/scboard.jpg

darstr
User

Aug 20, 2010, 3:25 PM

Post #7 of 7 (1622 views)
Shortcut

Crazy I stand corrected. Pirate Your first instinct should be correct. Change the power supply.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.15 s on (CGI/1.1)