Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: Plasma TV Forum:
plasma life expectancy ?

Wick
New User

Jan 9, 2006, 4:35 PM

Post #1 of 4 (2686 views)
Shortcut
plasma life expectancy ? Can't Post

Hi, I have been planning on buying a new tv once my living room is done being remolded. I never expected to consider buying a plasma tv, but after seeing some resonable prices I have decided to look into them.

I have a few questons.

1.) Life expectancy. How long can I expect a plasma tv to last? I hear alot of the new widescreen tvs have bulbs that need replaced. I don't want to worry about buying another tv for a long time. Nor, putting more money into it a couple years down.

2.) What would be the most important spec I should look for when buying a plasma? I don't care much for sound...as long as its clear. I do care about color...I want bright vibrant colors. Most of my viewing involves anime, I will not be using it for cable/satillite. I will also want to hook up my computer on occasion.

I have a budget of $1500. It is not much. Like I said I wasn't planning on purchasing a plasma. I have seen a few in this price range however. Would it be better to use the money on another non plasma tv or go with a cheaper plasma? IMO I think the plasma tvs I seen look much better than the other widescreens and much better than LCD's. I also couldn't tell a difference putting them side by side with the expensive plasmas....what am I missing?

Any help for this noob will be much appreciated.

denonjapan
Veteran

Jan 10, 2006, 5:57 AM

Post #2 of 4 (2669 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Wick] plasma life expectancy ? [In reply to] Can't Post

Listen carefully,I am putting this a very simple solution for you and based on your judgement on your last quote:

" have a budget of $1500. It is not much. Like I said I wasn't planning on purchasing a plasma. I have seen a few in this price range however. Would it be better to use the money on another non plasma tv or go with a cheaper plasma? IMO I think the plasma tvs I seen look much better than the other widescreens and much better than LCD's. I also couldn't tell a difference putting them side by side with the expensive plasmas....what am I missing?

When you believe an existence of cheaper plasma (is there?) or Simply because you are not willing! ( don't say that's all you have! of course you will and you CAN! ) You wont surprized me at all, when one day! you wonder what went wrong with your decisions!.... I tell you why!> Cause you knew deep inside but went on beleiving expensive or less expensive ( I won't use the word CHEAP!) is no other differrent from what it cost, based on what you witnessed side by side. Sure! $1,500 on your budget isn't that much but I bet you! $1,500 hurts, even more when it isn't what you expected after all!...... Don't settle for second best!. Im telling you! The moment you see the ONE!!!!! but couldn't or will not just bec. it's not in your price range? believe me! YOU WILL END UP SPENDING MORE! releiving the failure you missed the most!.

Anyhow! knowing your concerns and application? LCD's is my best bet! if I were you!Wink

denonjapan

made in japan

(This post was edited by denonjapan on Jan 10, 2006, 5:59 AM)

Wick
New User

Jan 10, 2006, 12:15 PM

Post #3 of 4 (2666 views)
Shortcut
Re: [denonjapan] plasma life expectancy ? [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't do LCD...I had a 42" Sony LCD in my house for about 3 months and it looked awful. I would prefer an old style CRT flat screen/projection tv to a LCD.

I was just going to buy a 52" ish widescreen...but saw some plasmas for the same price that looked better. The cheaper plasmas look fine. My only concern would be them lasting.

Chances are I will just by a 36" sony Trinitron FS. Good solid tv and willl save me much needed money. If I buy a $1200 plasma and it breaks I would be in trouble.

denonjapan
Veteran

Jan 13, 2006, 5:47 AM

Post #4 of 4 (2636 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Wick] plasma life expectancy ? [In reply to] Can't Post

You are entitled to your freedom to choose however you asked for opinion here! I gave you an honest answer!. You mentioned an $8,000.00 LCD 42 inch SONY> AWFUL! ( ridiculously! don't know what to say!Sly ) Perhaps this time you realized " if SONY fails your expectation? I don't think, Projection or Plasma will do you any better. But, before you do?. I wan't you to watch and learn on PROJECTION's topic in this forum, see if still sinks in!. and if you have same faith on PLASMA why bother when you're anticipating a failure? ( breaking ).

Above all, your most concern is LONGEVITY? watch what I say:" you will retire, and your SONY 42 inch LCD still going even after you!. You won't expect it's best when you can't comply it's requirements. What do i mean by that is: old or new, there aint much video or dvd's around matched with your sony's native resolution, MUCH LESS when you feed with VCR and surely, it looks awful!....You have to understand! when you choose HDTV monitor, that doesn't mean it will upconvert all videos being fed. and BOOOMMMMMMMMMM It should look like the way when you saw in tradeshows.

denonjapan

made in japan

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.15 s on (CGI/1.1)