Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: Plasma TV Forum:
tuner help

ccarton88
New User

Dec 1, 2004, 12:28 AM

Post #1 of 8 (2422 views)
Shortcut
tuner help Can't Post

ok, I'm looking at the Zenith 42" ED-Ready Flat-Panel Plasma TV with Picture-in-Picture - Silver
Model: P42W46X

this is listed at the best buy website under the information part.

Capable of displaying enhanced-definition (480p) signals from an optional digital source. Displays high-definition digital content at reduced resolution. Conventional analog TV reception is provided via a built-in NTSC tuner

does this mean that i wouldn't need an antenna since i don't have cable? or would i still need to get one or use the one on my TV now?

also, do i need to buy a different reciever or something to recieve the ED signals? or is that just built in?

denonjapan
Veteran

Dec 1, 2004, 1:18 AM

Post #2 of 8 (2412 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ccarton88] tuner help [In reply to] Can't Post

if the Plasma has it's own built in tuner, all you need is coaxial cable from your antenna (roof antena). Yes! all you got is ED channels. I would say lower quality than an HDTV tuner can provide. Chances are, when you use a separate HDTV Capable receiver, you will have a progressive picture: lower resolutions channel will be process by the HDTV Receiver and then FIT an appropriate resolutions still look state of the art into your flat screen.

If you are new to this, Im pretty sure it's not quite clear to your unless you have the unit and work it through experimentation. Don't worry! you can work your way out.

ccarton88
New User

Dec 1, 2004, 2:18 AM

Post #3 of 8 (2408 views)
Shortcut
Re: [denonjapan] tuner help [In reply to] Can't Post

ok, thanks for the help. what do you think about that model?

denonjapan
Veteran

Dec 1, 2004, 4:14 AM

Post #4 of 8 (2405 views)
Shortcut

To be honest! In fairness to other manufacturer I can only say what's best my eyes had seen. My personal hands-on calibrated through features by their individual remote, easy access, all around and over all quality. Top of my list still PANASONIC (Industrial model ) from 37 to 65 inches, MITSUBISHI current 50 inch model, and the FUJITSU's current 42 model.

Zenith is just an standard Plasma which is over-priced compared to PANASONIC DISPLAYS.

ccarton88
New User

Dec 1, 2004, 11:52 PM

Post #5 of 8 (2397 views)
Shortcut

ok, so is the FUJITSU a good one? i know it's around the same price as the zenith....

denonjapan
Veteran

Dec 2, 2004, 1:10 AM

Post #6 of 8 (2391 views)
Shortcut

If you have the budget or if Zenith have same price range with the fujitsu then I would suggest this particular model Fujitsu P42HCA11WH. Internet price is around 4 grand. if the silver bezel from Zenith is all you're after. don't worry that model comes in SILVER as well with much better spec. than zenith.

ccarton88
New User

Dec 2, 2004, 1:25 AM

Post #7 of 8 (2390 views)
Shortcut

o, i'm not really conserned about the color, mostly just the price. I'm looking to get it at or under $2,400.
i know it's a long shot, but all i need is an EDTV. i'm cheap. actualy my dad is.

denonjapan
Veteran

Dec 2, 2004, 5:10 AM

Post #8 of 8 (2388 views)
Shortcut

In that case why not go to PANASONIC? TH-42PWD7UY for only $1,979?

Trust this link:

http://store.yahoo.com/ourstore-2000/path42pldipr1.html

(This post was edited by denonjapan on Dec 2, 2004, 5:15 AM)

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.16 s on (CGI/1.1)