Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: Projection TV Forum:
'96 Mitsu VS 5042 prob

frankj
New User

Nov 21, 2009, 10:15 PM

Post #1 of 5 (1828 views)
Shortcut
'96 Mitsu VS 5042 prob Can't Post

My old Mitsu VS 5042 is on the fritz. It came up gradually, then failed completely. You'd be watching a show, when the picture would just go out, collapsing toward the center of the screen looking like the colors from a prism, only very quickly. Poof, and it was gone. At first it would come back by smacking it on the side of the cabinet. Shocked Then, it wouldn't stay on without smacking it frequently. Then finally, I couldn't get a picture at all. While it was on the way out (it took a few weeks), it wouldn't do this reliably. Sometimes it was a few days between episodes, sometimes all day. Anyone have any idea what may be going on? Is it toast? If fixable, any ideas how much $$ involved. TIA for any help.

Ron.M
Veteran

Nov 24, 2009, 9:21 PM

Post #2 of 5 (1818 views)
Shortcut
Re: [frankj] '96 Mitsu VS 5042 prob [In reply to] Can't Post

frankj;.....

I don't know why no one has replied yet...
But I'm willing to give it a shot....
I have the service manual....(Original Mitsubishi)

A couple of questions & your answers to get this going...
#1=When the picture would just go out, collapsing toward the center of the screen , did it collapse from the top & bottom toward the center OR come in from the sides toward the center ???
#2=How much , if any , background in electronics / TV repair do you have ???

Anyone have any idea what may be going on? Is it toast?

Yes to the 1st & not neccessarily for the 2nd question...

If fixable, any ideas how much $$ involved

Altho the possibility exists , at this point , it doesn't look serious.....

In case I don't get a reply before Thursday , HAPPY THANKSGIVING...

Later...Ron.M...Cool....
Veteran & Retired TV technician

frankj
New User

Nov 25, 2009, 8:35 AM

Post #3 of 5 (1809 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ron.M] '96 Mitsu VS 5042 prob [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey, Ron, thanks for the reply, I appreciate it! Answers to your questions: 1) It happened very quickly, but it seemed that the pic collapsed more from top-to-bottom before side-to-center. 2) No electronics background, however, I am the family auto mechanic, I am usually pretty good at figuring out similar stuff with some instruction. I have a multimeter, if that helps. Again, thanks for your help so far! Frank

Ron.M
Veteran

Nov 25, 2009, 7:10 PM

Post #4 of 5 (1801 views)
Shortcut
Re: [frankj] '96 Mitsu VS 5042 prob [In reply to] Can't Post

frankj;....

but it seemed that the pic collapsed more from top-to-bottom before side-to-center.

That simplifys things ,a little....Means you have a vertical deflection problem....
Most likely a bad IC now...
Prior to your smacking the TV it was working & the IC was saveable...
This apparently started with a / some bad connection(s) at the vertical output IC...
With repeated smacking , you most liklely fried the IC & some other parts as well...

I am the family auto mechanic..

1st off , THANKS for your honesty....NO offense , but....

No electronics background,

This part is a problem....^^^^ You have to recognize the parts involved , disconnect wiring cables , pull the chassis / board out to check parts , de-solder & solder new parts in , etc , etc....
This is not something I'd reccommend the uninformed & inexperienced to try & repair themselves..

With all due respect, I think you'd be better off calling a reputable TV repair shop....
Tell them you lost vertical sweep (& it's the IC) & ask for an estimate on repairs....
In my area , this would cost about $175 ~ $250 to fix...
I would consider pix quality before it went out as to whether or not you go ahead with repairs....
Your call...

I really wish I could've been of more help...
But me (or anyone else) trying to help you is like you trying to
help me with a strange noise coming from my car's engine....

GOOD LUCK.....

Please let us know how you went with this....

Once again...HAPPY THANKSGIVING to you & your family...Sly....

Later...Ron.M.....Cool......
Veteran & Retired TV technician

(This post was edited by Ron.M on Nov 25, 2009, 7:12 PM)

frankj
New User

Nov 25, 2009, 7:27 PM

Post #5 of 5 (1797 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ron.M] '96 Mitsu VS 5042 prob [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, Ron, I kinda had the feeling that it would cost more to fix than it would be worth. The nearest repair shop is 100+ miles away, and we have another TV that's just as good as this one was. Thanks for your help, and have a thankful Thanksgiving!

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.18 s on (CGI/1.1)