Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: Projection TV Forum:
Cant locate problem

InuGoku
New User

Dec 29, 2010, 4:55 AM

Post #1 of 4 (1653 views)
Shortcut
Cant locate problem Can't Post

Hello, Im a novice tech trying to learn more about electronics in general. Please bear with me.

I have a Magnavox 51mp392h that had a convergence problem. I ordered STK392-120 chips from MCM. When i got them i swapped them out and turned the set on to find that the same problem was still present.

When i went to check the board i saw (2) 6.8 ohm 1w resistors that were burnt out.

I went to my local radio shack to get the resistors and the closest they had was a 10ohm 1w. So me being inexperienced i thought it was good enough. With some more research online i found out that It was a big mistake to put in those 10 ohm resistors and that they made my STK's go bad.Unsure

I ordered 2 new STK's and a pack of 6.8 ohm 1w resistors. So swapped everything out and the set worked for about 10 sec. When i went to check it out the same 2 resistors were burnt. I swapped them again and they burned again.

I unplugged the power to the Red and Blue bulbs and to my surprise they did not burn out this time. If i left one connected then 1 resistor would burn out. So I traced the cables back to a board that has Red, Green, and Blue A/V inputs at the back of the TV. I took off the board but the Red, Green, and Blue bulbs wont turn on.

At this points im guessing something that is connected to the Red and Blue bulbs is what is causing the resistors to short.

More experienced techs might read this and laugh or get angry, but the only way to learn is by making mistakes and to keep trying.

Does anyone have any ideas or pointers that can guide me in the right direction? Any help is greatly appreciated.Smile

darstr
User

Dec 29, 2010, 11:18 PM

Post #2 of 4 (1646 views)
Shortcut
Re: [InuGoku] Cant locate problem [In reply to] Can't Post

Crazy Well odds are that you have a couple more resistors that are bad. They don't necessarily have to be burnt. And more bad news. You probably fried you Convergence Ic's again.

Ron.M
Veteran

Dec 30, 2010, 1:59 AM

Post #3 of 4 (1642 views)
Shortcut
Re: [InuGoku] Cant locate problem [In reply to] Can't Post

InuGoku;.....

Since you are an admitted novice & the TV wants to play games with you (& you appear to be losing), I reccommend you get the whole shooting match...
This kit has EVERYTHING you need....
A bit pricey for us pro's ($68.95 +s&h) , but if you (the novice) had gotten it in the first place , you'd be watching football on a 51" TV instead of looking at a 51" TV cabinet...Wink....
Here's the link;=>...
http://www.tvrepairkits.com/xcart/home.php?cat=3539

Scroll down a bit to get the info....

Here's what you get;=>...

• OEM Sanyo Convergence Chips. Each kit includes the correct replacement convergence chips verified against the service manuals. Two chips per kit unless your model uses three - in that case we ship three. These are genuine OEM Sanyo chips. Sanyo was the primary supplier of convergence chips used in TV sets made by Philips, Sony, Hitachi, Panasonic, Toshiba, Mitsubishi, and many others). We do not use lower quality generic convergence chips in our kits like other sites. .
  • Convergence Resistors - These are specifically designed and rated for convergence circuits. Do not use anything but convergence rated resistors when doing these repairs.
  • Thermal Paste
  • Photo Instruction Manual - Complete Instructions on how to repair your TV. This is a step by step photo instruction guide that will walk you through each step of the repair. All of our repair guides are non technical and easy to follow. You do not need to have any prior electronic repair experience to use this kit.(Download Version - allows you to view/zoom/print from your computer)
  • Soldering Instruction Manual - Complete instructions on how learn to solder like a pro in less that 30 minutes.
  • Email/Phone/Live Chat Support

ALL the above is for YOUR model TV....

GOOD LUCK....Sly.....

Later..Ron.M.....Cool...

Veteran & Retired TV technician

nurter
New User

Jan 12, 2011, 1:19 PM

Post #4 of 4 (1618 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ron.M] Cant locate problem [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks for info!

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.17 s on (CGI/1.1)