Free Games TV Forums

Main Index FORUM
HOME
Search Posts SEARCH
IN
Rules & FAQ RULES
F.A.Q.

Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: Projection TV Forum:
Finding a replacement lamp for an older Philips Magnavox big screen?

Lar
New User

Mar 1, 2010, 4:27 AM

Post #1 of 4 (3197 views)
Shortcut
Finding a replacement lamp for an older Philips Magnavox big screen? Can't Post

Hi everyone,
Please forgive me if any the terms I use are highly untechnical; I've always loved electronics, but I'm hardly an expert when it comes to their guts Wink.
Anyway, I came across a Philips Magnavox projection TV, model #7P5433 W101, date on the back states 1998. An old piece, I know, but the price was pretty decent, and I knew about the problems going in. The screen is heavily orange/red tinted, but there does appear to be green in the darker colors, and after doing a little research, I believe my only problem is the need for a blue replacement lamp. My question is: for a model this old, would I be able to use any lamps made for other models, or is there somewhere online where I could order new old stock lamps? Or, if worse comes to worse, would calling a TV repair man help (is there anything a repairman could really do here)?
I've been using the TV to play games, and you can see everything pretty well, and watching regular TV isn't bad at all, it's just that red tint. If there's nothing that can be done, the set is still usable, but it's in such nice shape in every other aspect, I'd really like to get this looking good.
Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Ron.M
Veteran

Mar 4, 2010, 10:46 PM

Post #2 of 4 (3185 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Lar] Finding a replacement lamp for an older Philips Magnavox big screen? [In reply to] Can't Post

Lar;....

We need to start here 1st;=>....

I believe my only problem is the need for a blue replacement lamp.

Maybe not...Matter of fact, probably not...
What you need to do is remove the front screen assembly & check the blue CRT...
If you need info as to how to safely remove the screen, post back & I'll help as best as I can....
After you have the screen off the TV , turn it on...
Look directly first into the red CRT lens assembly at the face of the tube where the picture should be....
Kinda creep up on it as the pix WILL be bright & you need time for your eyes to adjust...
You should see a clear , sharp & focused picture....
Next , look into the green CRT lens assembly....
There you "may" see a bit of contamination in the coolant....
You should see a picture there , but probably not as good as the red....
Now look into the blue CRT lens assembly....
I'll bet that one is a mess....Cloudy & a lot of junk in there...
A LOT of contamination & the pix will be hard to make out....
IF that is the case , then what you need is a coolant change & NOT a new or used CRT ( Lamp as you call it).....
It's not that hard to do....

Let us know what you find &/or if you need further help to proceed....

Later....Ron.M....Cool....
Veteran & Retired TV technician

(This post was edited by Ron.M on Mar 4, 2010, 10:50 PM)

Lar
New User

Mar 5, 2010, 4:29 AM

Post #3 of 4 (3172 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ron.M] Finding a replacement lamp for an older Philips Magnavox big screen? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I have checked the CRTs and they are exactly as you described. I've ordered some coolant and found a site with step-by-step instructions on how to change it.

Thanks for your help!

Larry.

Ron.M
Veteran

Mar 5, 2010, 4:43 AM

Post #4 of 4 (3170 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Lar] Finding a replacement lamp for an older Philips Magnavox big screen? [In reply to] Can't Post

Lar;....
You are MOST welcome....Glad to be of help....Sly...Sly.....Sly....

Good Luck with the coolant.....

Later....Ron.M....Cool.....
Veteran & Retired TV technician

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.15 s on (CGI/1.1)