erickeri
New User

Apr 25, 2008, 8:22 AM

Post #1 of 14 (12309 views)
Shortcut
JVC AV-48WP74 convergence problem! Can't Post

Hello everyone.
JVC AV-48WP74
My uncle called me the other day. telling me something happened to his 4 year old TV. (HE LOVES THE DAMN THING).Anyways he said he turned it off went out came back home tried to turn it on and seen the picture was all messed up.
The top of the screen is bowwing in and the bottom of the screen is bowwing in, and that the red is really out.
I haven't been over there yet to see it personally but before I go there what should I look for and test. I'm not a pro at this stuff but can manage a little bit.
Thanks Eric

zip
User

Apr 27, 2008, 2:38 AM

Post #2 of 14 (12295 views)
Shortcut
Re: [erickeri] JVC AV-48WP74 convergence problem! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi: It sounds like an convergence problem, this tv should have two large ic's on a large heat sink, these are the convergence ic's, their bad, change both. JVC has a rebuild kit to repair this circuit (Ic's and resistors). P.S. If this is an HD tv model, don't run this tv with the back removed! See service manual for info to defeat the saftey divice, you will blow out your hd circuits if you operate the set with the back cover removed!

erickeri
New User

Apr 27, 2008, 6:53 AM

Post #3 of 14 (12294 views)
Shortcut
Re: [zip] JVC AV-48WP74 convergence problem! [In reply to] Can't Post

Where can I get the rebuild kit for the tv? Thank you for telling me about the having the back removed, I didn't know that. It is a HD model

In Reply To
Hi: It sounds like an convergence problem, this tv should have two large ic's on a large heat sink, these are the convergence ic's, their bad, change both. JVC has a rebuild kit to repair this circuit (Ic's and resistors). P.S. If this is an HD tv model, don't run this tv with the back removed! See service manual for info to defeat the saftey divice, you will blow out your hd circuits if you operate the set with the back cover removed!

zip
User

Apr 28, 2008, 1:04 AM

Post #4 of 14 (12285 views)
Shortcut

Hi: If you can de-solder and solder, you can likely get by with the two IC'S (STK392-110's). they are avil. at any electronic parts supply house, check the internet if you like. The whole convergence output board is avil. from JVC and it's not too costly. But you may have to get that from a dealer.

slinteriors
User

Apr 28, 2008, 2:23 AM

Post #5 of 14 (12282 views)
Shortcut
Re: [zip] JVC AV-48WP74 convergence problem! [In reply to] Can't Post

you can get THe ICs and free instalation instructions at the following link.
http://servicemanuals.vstore.ca/

erickeri
New User

Aug 8, 2008, 8:16 AM

Post #6 of 14 (12195 views)
Shortcut
Re: [slinteriors] JVC AV-48WP74 convergence problem! [In reply to] Can't Post

I just changed the STK392-110 chips on the Tv. But it didn't change the picture at all.
Should I change something else?

slinteriors
User

Aug 8, 2008, 1:32 PM

Post #7 of 14 (12193 views)
Shortcut

check the resistors in front of the ICs as your model will usually open one or two of those. Check them out of circuit by lifting one side out of circuit then checking it for resistance.

erickeri
New User

Aug 8, 2008, 9:50 PM

Post #8 of 14 (12192 views)
Shortcut

Is there a rebiult kit that I can order all of those resistor's?
When I changed the STK's One of the resistors looked a little brown in the middle. But the TV set was so dusty. I thought it was burnt dush on it. But I knew it could be bad. I would rather replace them all.

slinteriors
User

Aug 8, 2008, 9:59 PM

Post #9 of 14 (12191 views)
Shortcut

Yes you can get the entire convergence resistor kit for your model whic has all the resistors in the correct ratings and tolerances for your model. Its under the Convergence repair kit category and its called JVC convergence resistor Kit#1. Heres the link.
http://servicemanuals.vstore.ca/

Cazzzmo
New User

Mar 6, 2010, 1:05 AM

Post #10 of 14 (10409 views)
Shortcut

does this look like a problem that can be fixed by replacing the convergence ICs? <br> <br>13 months ago we spent $280 to have a red ''gun'' put in this TV..... is that possibly the problem again or should I try swapping the ICs and nearby resistors? any help/opinion is greatly appreciated...... first time poster......... <br>

[url=http://cazzzmo.pixa.us/images/18730982/jvc]

(This post was edited by Cazzzmo on Mar 6, 2010, 1:10 AM)

Ron.M
Veteran

Mar 6, 2010, 2:53 AM

Post #11 of 14 (10402 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Cazzzmo] JVC AV-48WP74 convergence problem! [In reply to] Can't Post

Cazzzmo;.....

1st thing you need to get is a pair of glasses;=>....Unsure...

slinteriors
User

Aug 8, 2008, 10:59 PM <<<< Note the year !!!

Post #9 of 10 (1788 views)

The LAST post was well OVER a year ago....
I know for a fact that slinteriors is NO longer involved with this forum....

does this look like a problem that can be fixed by replacing the convergence ICs?

Answer;...Yes.....Do have the brains to replace BOTH ICs.....

is that possibly the problem again or should I try swapping the ICs and nearby resistors?

Do NOT "swap" anything....
You replace bad parts...Check the resistors & replace the bad ones....

first time poster.........

hmmmmm.....What gave that away ???...Wink....
Next time ,you should start your own thread....

Good Luck....

Later...Ron.M....Cool.....
Veteran & Retired TV technician

Cazzzmo
New User

Mar 6, 2010, 6:00 AM

Post #12 of 14 (10398 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ron.M] JVC AV-48WP74 convergence problem! [In reply to] Can't Post

I know how old the orig. post was....... why start a whole new thread when much/most of the info needed was already covered??!? Simply looking for a courteous opinion.... wow..... guess I inquired on the wrong forum. Should change the name of this site to "Cranky, bitter, old tech-nerds w/ chronic E.D.............."

Since I'm apparently in such need of new eyewear and can't make out the entire reply, perhaps you should call me or stop by for a visit to express your sentiments in person.... a**hole....... Brent / 701-833-2142

Ron.M
Veteran

Mar 6, 2010, 7:18 PM

Post #13 of 14 (10393 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Cazzzmo] JVC AV-48WP74 convergence problem! [In reply to] Can't Post

Cazzzmo;.....

Talk about someone with a VERY short fuse (along with , well , you know)....
That or a SEVERE case of PMS....

Listen , you dips#*t , 99% of my post was nice & helpful...
And you come back with all that insulting rant...
Since you failed to give me/us a model # , the advice I/we could give you was limited...
Starting a new thread carries with it advantages that , I'm sure you don't understand...
You got your "courteous opinion" now off!!!

Veteran & Retired TV technician

Cazzzmo
New User

Mar 7, 2010, 1:08 AM

Post #14 of 14 (10385 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ron.M] JVC AV-48WP74 convergence problem! [In reply to] Can't Post

the model number is in the title of the thread, retard. again, why start a new thread and rehash stuff that's already been covered. why don't you call me, twit??!?!

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.19 s on (CGI/1.1)