Free Games TV Forums

Main Index FORUM
HOME
Search Posts SEARCH
IN
Rules & FAQ RULES
F.A.Q.

Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: Projection TV Forum:
JVC AV 48WP30 Red Convergence Problem - Help?

Orly
New User

May 24, 2011, 4:47 PM

Post #1 of 9 (4198 views)
Shortcut
JVC AV 48WP30 Red Convergence Problem - Help? Can't Post

Happened to be in Goodwill during a half off sale and there was this giant, very nice TV for only $50. I knew there'd be problems with it but have always heard they are relatively easy to fix, so I brought it home.

It had a really bad, wavy picture that would switch from red to green, depending. Took out the convergence board, replaced both convergence ICs with brand new ones, put it back in.

Picture got better, still a bit off.

Took it back out, found an ohm resistor that was burned out. Replaced it.

Put it back in, picture is almost perfect now..... except still having one problem that I can't kick.

I cannot move the red crosshair. I can get it to move a little bit up and down, but not left or right at all.

The blue and green overlay, the red will not. So I've got double vision going on. A major improvement from what it was, but still.. not watchable really.

What else can I do? Any ideas?

Ron.M
Veteran

May 24, 2011, 6:04 PM

Post #2 of 9 (4195 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Orly] JVC AV 48WP30 Red Convergence Problem - Help? [In reply to] Can't Post

Orly;.....

2 possibilities;....
1)The ohm(?) resistor may have burnt out again because
2) the new IC is now bad because the ohm(?) resistor was not replaced at the same time the ICs were...
OR
3)..(I know , I sometimes can't count)...One of the new ICs is/was bad...
IF you used cheap generic replacements , Congratulations , you got what you deserved...
That being cheap generic Chinese made junk parts , etc...
IF the "new" ICs are bad & need replacement again , I strongly recommend you get genuine Sanyo replacements ONLY !!!

Have fun & GOOD LUCK....Sly....
Later...Ron.M....Cool....
Veteran & Retired TV technician

Orly
New User

May 24, 2011, 6:06 PM

Post #3 of 9 (4193 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ron.M] JVC AV 48WP30 Red Convergence Problem - Help? [In reply to] Can't Post

1 & 2: Got the order wrong, I actually found the burnt resistor first, replaced it, then replaced it once more with the ICs - sorry, it's been a little while since I've messed with it, so I forgot.

3. No, I did not use cheap ICs. They were original, new Sanyo parts.

Any other ideas?

Ron.M
Veteran

May 24, 2011, 6:18 PM

Post #4 of 9 (4190 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Orly] JVC AV 48WP30 Red Convergence Problem - Help? [In reply to] Can't Post

Orly;.....

How did you determine the value of the resistor ???
Was it burnt so bad that you could not see the colored bands ???
What value did you put in place of the burnt one ???
What color bands did the original resistor have ??

Aside from possible bad solder connections &/or a bad new replacement IC , or the resistor , that about covers it from me...
Check the connections on both ICs for a possible solder bridge between pins & maybe a cold solder connection...
IF all is well with the connections , I'd suggest you get another set of ICs...

Later....Ron.M....Cool....

Ron.M
Veteran

May 24, 2011, 6:28 PM

Post #5 of 9 (4187 views)
Shortcut

Orly;.....

May have some more help for you...
Are you a tech & do you have a service manual for your TV ???

Later....Ron.M....Cool....

Repair man
Enthusiast

May 27, 2011, 2:28 AM

Post #6 of 9 (4174 views)
Shortcut

It's a bit of work but you could try swapping the position of the two ICs & see if red will adjust but blue won't, that will let you know if it is a problem with the IC or still a bad resistor.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you (or anyone reading this post) have any further questions or need clarification please feel free to contact me direct; you can find my email address by clicking on my user-name.

Learn Plasma TV Repair

jschuholz
New User

Dec 23, 2011, 7:44 AM

Post #7 of 9 (3809 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Repair man] JVC AV 48WP30 Red Convergence Problem - Help? [In reply to] Can't Post

have the exact same set - same problem - can't adjust blue bow up or down. red moves fine. replaced resistors, stks (twice), check board traces, all solder joints. swapped red and blue connectors to yokes, then red won't move up or down. What else could be wrong - bad digital convergence board (metal can) ? Please help

What are symptoms of lost DVI eprom data (JVC booby trap) ?

Repair man
Enthusiast

Dec 23, 2011, 9:10 AM

Post #8 of 9 (3805 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jschuholz] JVC AV 48WP30 Red Convergence Problem - Help? [In reply to] Can't Post

Found this in my notes

Replace STK392-110's
Check the following resistors
R850 2.2 ohms 1watt
R854 & 846 both are 1.5 ohm 1watt
R862 1.8 ohm 1watt

If the resistor values were off they may have damaged the new ICs as you put them in.

Sometimes the ICs go bad due to poor solder connections to the yokes.

Hope this helps!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you (or anyone reading this post) have any further questions or need clarification please feel free to contact me direct; you can find my email address by clicking on my user-name.

Learn Plasma TV Repair

jschuholz
New User

Dec 24, 2011, 12:26 AM

Post #9 of 9 (3799 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Repair man] JVC AV 48WP30 Red Convergence Problem - Help? [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks, I had already checked everything you posted, Put the scope on the stks inputs and BV input was zero. found bad solder joint on R801. TV back to perfect. do u know symptom of DVI input light sensor bobby trap ? Is it just the DVI input that goes bad when this sensor trips ? thanks

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.16 s on (CGI/1.1)