Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: Projection TV Forum:
Philips 55p916 convergence issues

Typezer0
New User

Jun 23, 2009, 3:51 PM

Post #1 of 13 (12778 views)
Shortcut
Philips 55p916 convergence issues Can't Post

I recently did a coolant change. All went well. When I turned it on after it was horribly out of alignment. So I aligned them the best I could in the convergence menu. It looked great except in the lower left it was still out of alignment.

The very top right was barely noticeable. Well I went to first time set-up about 2weeks later to rescan the cable channels. It must of set it back to factory settings. Again terribly out of alignment. I converged again but this time it looks bad on the top and bottom from left to right, even with the cross hairs matching.

The middle looks decent but that's it. Any suggestions? Is there a factory menu, or convergence I can do. Is there a code I need to know? Or do I have to adjust something on the CRTs, like the centering rings?

Thanks for any help.

You'll notice the top and bottoms are not aligned when watching TV.
[image]

Typezer0
New User

Jun 23, 2009, 3:57 PM

Post #2 of 13 (12768 views)
Shortcut
LOL! [In reply to] Can't Post

I just noticed one of the TV pics I posted is a male enhancement ad. I didn't even read what was on the screen till now and I had the volume turned down.

Gees, this was taken at 10am. Crazy
[image]

Typezer0
New User

Jun 23, 2009, 8:30 PM

Post #3 of 13 (12766 views)
Shortcut
Solved it! [In reply to] Can't Post

On the remote I hit 062597 then hit menu.

This was my first screen. Read it carefully and go slow. I pressed "M" to continue.

This is the second screen below. I didn't mess with #1.

I hit #2. This is the next screen. You will notice the bright cross middle line to the left. You can use your arrow buttons to adjust in four angles from that spot. Then I hit the center button or probably "enter" on the remote and the cross moves to the right one or two lines at a time. Just converge every stop the cross makes if it needs it. After that line it goes to the far left on the line above, Then after that line it goes to the left on the top line. Then the second line from the bottom on the left then after that line it starts at the left on the bottom line.

When done with that line it takes you to the next screen.

Every time you finish a grid. It takes you to this screen below. You can continue converging the other grids by hitting #2. "Repeat Convergence"

You keep doing this till all the grids look lined up. Then you hit #1. "Exit/ Save Changes".

I'm not sure if you can back up a cross to readjust then or if you have to move the cross through the whole grid then return. You'll have to go through a few times.

I want to thank everyone that has posted vital info helping people out like myself. Without it I would have had to pay or just deal with it, or risk messing something up.

I'll post my entire repair on the coolant change.
[image]

Burlon
New User

Jul 20, 2009, 5:42 PM

Post #4 of 13 (12508 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Typezer0] Philips 55p916 convergence issues [In reply to] Can't Post

First, thank you for your Coolant Replacement Post. I used it successfully. After the change out, I had the same problem after going through the convergence process. The middle looked good, but the top and bottom looked like I needed 3D glasses to watch it.
The STK Convergence Modules need replaced. On my Phillips the modules where on a circuit board attached to the right side of the cabinet (from the back).
This Utube video will show you how to change them out. http://www.youtube.com/user/Testsubject32

Burlon
New User

Jul 20, 2009, 5:52 PM

Post #5 of 13 (12506 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Typezer0] Philips 55p916 convergence issues [In reply to] Can't Post

I forgot. I got the modules at Bluestar-online.com for $5.99 each. http://www.bluestar-online.com/...110_p/stk392-110.htm

Typezer0
New User

Jul 20, 2009, 7:56 PM

Post #6 of 13 (12502 views)
Shortcut
STKs [In reply to] Can't Post

So did you go through the factory convergence and it was still bad? I just replaced a STK on an old Pioneer stereo receiver SX-780 of mine. How did you know the STKs were bad? For the receiver I took volt readings and posted them on line and someone told which one was fried.
[image]

(This post was edited by Typezer0 on Jul 20, 2009, 7:58 PM)

Burlon
New User

Jul 20, 2009, 8:19 PM

Post #7 of 13 (12497 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Typezer0] STKs [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, I did the convergence process and had the same problem you had. So I did some Google searching and came across some info stating it could be the RTK module. I then found the Utube video and changed them out. I also checked the resistors while I had the board out. the resistors were fine. After replacing the 2 modules the picture was great, but I went through the convergence process again just for the heck of it. It was aligned pretty good and took very slight adjustments.

(This post was edited by Burlon on Jul 20, 2009, 8:21 PM)

Typezer0
New User

Jul 20, 2009, 8:32 PM

Post #8 of 13 (12494 views)
Shortcut
Great! [In reply to] Can't Post

Glad you got your TV looking good. The Sanyo STKs for the receiver are $21.50 each, generics are about $12.50. The Sanyos are now discontinued. That's why they are rare and pricey. Good to hear yours were only $6.
[image]

dewy195
New User

Dec 12, 2009, 3:40 AM

Post #9 of 13 (11149 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Typezer0] Solved it! [In reply to] Can't Post

How did you find this code?
"On the remote I hit 062597 then hit menu.

This was my first screen. Read it carefully and go slow. I pressed "M" to continue."

Thanks
DeWayne

Typezer0
New User

Dec 12, 2009, 4:13 AM

Post #10 of 13 (11147 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dewy195] Solved it! [In reply to] Can't Post

I found it on line somewhere. I can't remember where. It very well could have been here somewhere. What kind of TV do you have? <br>

I recently did a coolant change on a Philips widescreen 55PW9383 where it had a multi point convergence in the main menu, it didn't need a service code.
[image]

(This post was edited by Typezer0 on Dec 12, 2009, 4:16 AM)

dewy195
New User

Dec 12, 2009, 4:17 AM

Post #11 of 13 (11145 views)
Shortcut

Panasonic PT-53WX52F

Typezer0
New User

Dec 12, 2009, 5:06 AM

Post #12 of 13 (11143 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dewy195] Solved it! [In reply to] Can't Post

I couldn't find on line yet. Just google it and call some repair shops and ask them for it.

You need to set the convergence? Does it have a basic convergence without using a code?
[image]

Shown
User

Jul 29, 2010, 8:22 AM

Post #13 of 13 (9473 views)
Shortcut

Thanks for Replacement Post.

True blood season 3 download
Watch Entourage season 7

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.20 s on (CGI/1.1)