Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: Projection TV Forum:
Phillips 60PP920217F

chris_wehr
New User

Jul 12, 2010, 3:56 PM

Post #1 of 12 (3627 views)
Shortcut
Phillips 60PP920217F Can't Post

Okay I started my own Post here. Having the same convergence problem shelbydog is having. I changed out the two IC and blue the 7045 IC out again with the 3157 and 3158 resister getting hot and going bad again. I have tried putting my old ic back in the 7045 slot and the TV comes on but blue cannot converge up and down. Yoke cheks out okay.
I have 3157 and 3158 resisters getting hot each time I put a new IC in and these are tied to 7045. When I put the board in the TV comes on with still blue concave lines on tv. As soon as I punch in the convergence code it knocks out the IC, TV goes off, starts chirping, and the two new resistors get hot. My yokes seem fine. I have taken this IC out and TV comes back on, put old IC back in and TV stays on, but cannot move Blue convergence up or down. I was wondering if the blue is too far out of sinc; or if the problem was the auto convergence board; or if a cap was bad. The two resistors got hot but still measure fine. I have the board out, wondering what I should do next. Hopefully we all can fine an answer. My tv looked the same as the last few pictures on shelbydog. But on mine it is the blue that I cannot control up or down.

Question i have Ron, is the manual says I should use a NTSC signal before adjusting the convergence for 480p. I do not have this signal generator. Do I need this or will it hurt anythng if I don't use it. Also it says I should let the TV warm up for 20 min before adjusting. I wanted to address these before I turned on the TV again and start adjusting. And the last question is do I need to disable the Convergence Proc. or drive before I start adjusting. Thanks
PS also heard that I should pull the IC's and turn on the TV and set the TV to return to factory defaults before I put in new IC's?? Is this necessary??

Okay I didn't wait for a reply and the same two resisters I believed smoked about 30 sec after I turned on the tv. I turned it back off. Waiting on some help.
FYI. This morning when I went to unplug the blue yoke small wires from the convergence board, there was a pretty big pop sound that came from the speaker.

(This post was edited by chris_wehr on Jul 12, 2010, 4:19 PM)

Ron.M
Veteran

Jul 12, 2010, 7:01 PM

Post #2 of 12 (3619 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chris_wehr] Phillips 60PP920217F [In reply to] Can't Post

chris_wehr;....

This is probably the best way for you to go , that is , to start your own thread....

I will try to answer all your questions as best I can....
From what you say , I'm guessing you have the manual for your TV....
Is it Philips DPTV 305 #7621 ????
BTW:...Your model # is different than shelbydogg's , but , the same manual covers both sets....Wink.....

As soon as I punch in the convergence code it knocks out the IC, TV goes off, starts chirping, and the two new resistors get hot.

WHAT CODE ????

Also it says I should let the TV warm up for 20 min before adjusting.

If you can do it without smoking any resistors etc , OK do it....

Question i have Ron, is the manual says I should use a NTSC signal before adjusting the convergence for 480p. I do not have this signal generator.

This refers to page 43 of my manual....
IF you want to buy a VERY expensive "NTSC" signal generator , go ahead & do it....Most people I know just use the "over the air" broadcast signal...

And the last question is do I need to disable the Convergence Proc. or drive before I start adjusting.

I don't know where you got that from , but , to me it would be the same as turning a car engine off before you time the engine ....(Older Cars)....

PS also heard that I should pull the IC's and turn on the TV and set the TV to return to factory defaults before I put in new IC's?? Is this necessary???

I don't know where you got this either , but , this makes NO sense to me to take somethimg out , then reset it.....

A little of my background would help you understand where I'm coming from....
I have a lot of experience on projection TVs , but , NOT HD Projection....
Doesn't mean I can't try to help you......

My 1st suggestion would be to switch the convergence ICs & see if the same resistors are running hot....
IF they are , then switch the yokes...
The connectors are the same & you should have enough slack to move the wiring over to the new connector...
This includes the convergence connections....(The one that made the "pop".)....
If the same resistors are smoking after that , then I would suspect the "ACS" module as having a problem....

This is where I punt....
In all my experience , I never messed with any ACS problems....
My experience was limited to changing the convergence ICs & using the customer menu , converging the ICs....
Never had any other problems....
NEVER , EVER went into the "Factory/Service Menu" to do convergence....
I therefore can NOT reccommend you do....
It IS way too risky....
Please post results of the above requests....

Good Luck.....Sly.....

Later....Ron.M.....Cool.....
Veteran & Retired TV technician

(This post was edited by Ron.M on Jul 12, 2010, 7:05 PM)

chris_wehr
New User

Jul 13, 2010, 12:20 AM

Post #3 of 12 (3613 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ron.M] Phillips 60PP920217F [In reply to] Can't Post

DPTV 305F Model 60PP9202/17F
The code was 062597 status on the remote, although this last time it was smoking the resisters without punching in the code, I think that was just the timing of when it smoked up the components before. Didn't last a minute.
I found the Convergence Proc. in the manual under the GDE SAM Sreen Display in the manual, but it really did not spell out whether I needed to shut it off during convergence. I did not have to shut it off setting up the green and converging the red to green. Just checking. But going into the service menu really helped in setting up the green it was really off.
I take what you mean is to switch the boards on the yokes or just switch the convergence plug wiring going to the board say from the blue to the green. Makes more since in switching the boards?????

Ron.M
Veteran

Jul 13, 2010, 6:07 PM

Post #4 of 12 (3605 views)
Shortcut

chris_wehr;....

I found the Convergence Proc. in the manual under the GDE SAM Sreen Display in the manual.

"Sreen".????....Need more specific info....A page # would be helpful....

But going into the service menu really helped in setting up the green it was really off.

I think you made a "big" mistake here....
IF the green was off as bad as you say , adjustments in the "Factory/Service Menu" were NOT the reason....
There is/was a cause that you now covered up by messing with those adjustments....
Usually one of the convergence ICs....Whether it's a new one OR the original....
The green convergence is the standard by which you set the other colors to....
IF you throw the green off , then try to set the red & blue to it , your convergence will be out of whack no matter what you adjust....
That is one of the reasons that green convergence is NOT in the customer menu & ONLY in the Factory/Service Menu .....
I think you will need the "Template" which may or may not be available to reset the green if & when we find out why those resistors are cooking....

I take what you mean is to switch the boards on the yokes or just switch the convergence plug wiring going to the board say from the blue to the green. Makes more since in switching the boards?????

Let me clarify;....
From the top;....

My 1st suggestion would be to switch the convergence ICs & see if the same resistors are running hot....

This means to physically remove IC 7044 & install it where IC 7045 is....
Install IC 7045 where IC 7044 was...
Do this with the NEW ICs ONLY & NOT the originals...
Turn on TV & see if 3157 & 3158 continue to overheat....
IF THEY do then continue.....
IF other resistors heat up , STOP here & post results....

The connectors are the same & you should have enough slack to move the wiring over to the new connector...

There are 2 sets of wires coming from each yoke....
One is for deflection (Thicker wires commonly colored red , blue , green & yellow)...
On the board (LSB Panel) they will be marked "1501 , 1502 & 1503"....
They will be side by side....Switch 1503 (Blue yoke) with 1501 (Red yoke)....
Turn TV on & see if 3157 & 3158 are running hot....
IF they are NOT & other resistors are , STOP here & post results....
Regardless of the result , return the connectors as originally connected before continuing....
Next;...On the "main" panel (SSM) there are 3 smaller connectors with smaller wires coming from the yokes....
They may be side by side....They will be marked "1005 , 1006 & 1007"....
All the connectors should be the same type...
Switch "1005" (Red) with "1007" (Blue)...Turn on TV....
Does 3157 & 3158 run hot ????

PLEASE take notes while doing the above tests & post specific detailed results.....
THANKS.....Sly.....

One question;=>....
How much electronic/TV repair background experience do you have ????

Later....Ron.M.....

chris_wehr
New User

Jul 19, 2010, 4:28 AM

Post #5 of 12 (3573 views)
Shortcut

I'm not finished,but what I have so far is changing the IC does not matter the same resisters still get hot. I also found a bad or going bad cap 2338, which does not look like it would have anything to do with this problem??? I have ordered one, it is pretty bulgy on top and around. It is on the LSB board, 1 of 3 at the top downstream of the power supply panel plug. It sits on the right side of the board about on the middle edge, looking at the back of the tv next to the power supply panel. Decided to replace it before I went on.

Ron.M
Veteran

Jul 21, 2010, 9:57 PM

Post #6 of 12 (3557 views)
Shortcut

chris_wehr;.....

All I got to say is;.>> .......

Later....Ron.M.....Cool.....

chris_wehr
New User

Aug 1, 2010, 8:53 PM

Post #7 of 12 (3531 views)
Shortcut

What I have so far is changing the IC position does not matter, the same resisters still get hot 3149 and 3150 are the first ones that get hot and go bad then 3157 and 3158 are also getting hot I noticed. When I changed the wiring going to the projection lights, blue to red and vise versa, the same resisters got hot again and fried. 3149 an 3150. So it is not the projection lights.
What do you recommend next?
So how to I go about checking voltages with out burning up chips and resisters?

Ron.M
Veteran

Aug 2, 2010, 12:43 AM

Post #8 of 12 (3524 views)
Shortcut

chris_wehr;....

You have got me TOTALLY confused !!!!!...
Help me understand your reply....

From my earlier post;=>...

PLEASE take notes while doing the above tests & post specific detailed results.....

Not very specific....Unsure....

I assume , Yes , you did this & ,yes , they are....Correct ????...
EXCEPT , you now have 2 other additional resistors overheating ,3149 & 3150 ....Correct ????....

When I changed the wiring going to the projection lights, blue to red and vise versa, the same resisters got hot again and fried.

You did this separately.....
First the yoke leads (There are 2 sets of wires coming from each yoke)....
One is for deflection (Thicker wires commonly colored red , blue , green & yellow...
Switch 1503 (Blue yoke) with 1501 (Red yoke)....
Then the convergence leads (On the "main" panel (SSM) there are 3 smaller connectors with smaller wires coming from the yokes....
They will be marked "1005 , 1006 & 1007".).....

So it is not the projection lights.

If you mean the CRTs , you are correct....Sly....

Coming soon....Wink....

I need HONEST , STRAIGHT ARROW answers to the following questions;=>....

#1=How much electronic/TV repair background experience do you have ????...
#2=Where did you get the replacement ICs from ????...Post a link , please....THANKS...
#3=How much did you pay for them ????...

You "may" need some more resistors....

Later....Ron.M....Cool....

jts1957
Veteran

Aug 2, 2010, 1:19 AM

Post #9 of 12 (3517 views)
Shortcut

Congratulations veteran:

After the loss of the Darth Vader and their job on the Death Star, some storm troopers decided to continue their life away from the military, and go on with their life with class.

-------------------------

(This post was edited by jts1957 on Aug 2, 2010, 1:20 AM)

chris_wehr
New User

Aug 2, 2010, 2:04 AM

Post #10 of 12 (3513 views)
Shortcut

chris_wehr;....

You have got me TOTALLY confused !!!!!...
Help me understand your reply....

From my earlier post;=>...

Not very specific....Unsure....

I assume , Yes , you did this & ,yes , they are....Correct ????... Yes this is correct!!!!!!!
EXCEPT , you now have 2 other additional resistors overheating ,3149 & 3150 ....Correct ????....This is the case

When I changed the wiring going to the projection lights, blue to red and vise versa, the same resisters got hot again and fried.

You did this separately.....
First the yoke leads (There are 2 sets of wires coming from each yoke)....
One is for deflection (Thicker wires commonly colored red , blue , green & yellow...
Switch 1503 (Blue yoke) with 1501 (Red yoke)....
Then the convergence leads (On the "main" panel (SSM) there are 3 smaller connectors with smaller wires coming from the yokes....
They will be marked "1005 , 1006 & 1007".).....

So it is not the projection lights.

If you mean the CRTs , you are correct....Sly....

Coming soon....Wink....

I need HONEST , STRAIGHT ARROW answers to the following questions;=>....

#1=How much electronic/TV repair background experience do you have ????... No TV just electrical background
#2=Where did you get the replacement ICs from ????...Post a link , please....THANKS...From encompass
#3=How much did you pay for them ????... 20.00 a piece original sanyo

You "may" need some more resistors....

Answers to questions above
I know I can take out the one ic that is giving me problems and the tv will run

Later....Ron.M....Cool....

Ron.M
Veteran

Aug 2, 2010, 5:55 PM

Post #11 of 12 (3505 views)
Shortcut

jts1957;....
Thank you !!!!....Just noticed that recently....
Have NO idea how I earned the title....

chris_wehr;....

Let's experiment a bit....
Put the original ICs back in.....
Turn the TV on & see what color does not adjust on convergence....
Switch the ICs...Meaning , put the IC that is in "7045" to "7044's" location & "7044" to "7045's" location.....
See if the color that wouldn't converge remains the SAME color....DOES it ?????.....
Post results......THANKS.....Wink....

I suspect you got a new bad IC & you should return both ICs to encompass for warranty exchange...
I think you originally got 1 bad IC......
But now due to the fact you have 4 resistors , instead of 2 ,going out , they're both most likely bad.....
You might want to get some more resistors also , just in case....

Have a good day , etc ......Wink.....

Later....Ron.M.....Cool....

Ron.M
Veteran

Aug 5, 2010, 6:33 PM

Post #12 of 12 (3487 views)
Shortcut

chris_wehrl......

This is an important piece of info I need....

Let's experiment a bit....
Put the original ICs back in.....
Turn the TV on & see what color does not adjust on convergence....
Switch the ICs...Meaning , put the IC that is in "7045" to "7044's" location & "7044" to "7045's" location.....
See if the color that wouldn't converge remains the SAME color....DOES it ?????.....
Post results......THANKS.....Wink....

Need answer.....PLEASE post....
Depending on what happens determines which way we're going to go....
THANKS.....Sly.....
PLEASE do this before you replace the ICs....

Later....Ron.M....Cool.....

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.17 s on (CGI/1.1)