Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: Projection TV Forum:
RCA D52W20

mrd314861
New User

Feb 28, 2011, 10:44 PM

Post #1 of 5 (7089 views)
Shortcut
RCA D52W20 Can't Post

I asked the experts at JustAnswer and no one had any useful info for me. I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.. Which circuits I should check, etc.

rca d52w20 itc222 chassis has blurry picture, images appear dark and smeared from the left side of screen to right. convergence seems ok, and is adjustable in all directions, but when setting convergence, the vertical lines appear very blurry and they are so dim you can hardly see them. Images are almost shadowed with a slight double-image to the right. The blurriness appears in all inputs as well as the on screen menus.

Optional Information:
Make: rca
Model: d52w20

Already Tried:
reflowed solder connections @ flyback & others, reflowed connections on ssb, checked fuses, visually checked all capacitors and cables, adjusted convergence, adjusted picture settings in service menu, adjusted focus pots behind front panel, tried adjusting crt lenses

Here's what I see on all menus and inputs. I know the convergence is off right now, but in the multi-point I can get it pretty close. The geometry on the right side of the screen does seem a little off, but unless that's part of the problem here, I'm not worried about it. Below, is the convergence adjustment screen (showing only horizontal lines.) If you look closely, you can see that there's vertical lines, but they are extremely dim and blurry. I'm assuming they should be as bright as the horizontal ones.

Another menu shot.

I went over all the boards to look for bad connections or burnt components. I found this ic on the convergence board that looks like it has been replaced since the printing on it is different from the others on the board. You can see that the board is burnt up pretty badly under one of the contacts, but it has no lead coming off of it. Maybe chip is bad?

This is just a component that has been resoldered or replaced. I ohmed out connections and they appear solid. Maybe it was replaced with the wrong one?

The only other thing I can say as far as symptoms is that the picture takes 10-15 seconds to come on after you power up the set. I'm not sure if that's normal or not. I was also having a problem with intermittant shutdowns and then the led blinking 3 times when trying to turn it back on. I resoldered the connectors on the ssb and that appears to have solved the problem. The screen was blurry like this before I did any work to it though.

richpart
User

Mar 10, 2011, 3:39 PM

Post #2 of 5 (7062 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mrd314861] RCA D52W20 [In reply to] Can't Post

Technical Information

Television Service Bulletin
TV-06003

DATE: 12/8/2006

Chassis: ITC222

TOPIC: Ribbon Connectors, Intermittent faults

Symptom: Intermittent shutdown, Error Code 33, Convergence Errors, Miscellaneous Faults

Cause: Deformed Ribbon Connectors

Cure: Replace Connector - RCA Stock #258686

In ITC222 based TVs manufactured between serial number range G13XXXXXX and G26XXXXXX, Power Supply

Deflection connector, BP005 (Figure 1), and Convergence Module connector, BW005, have been found deformed.

The deformity results in inadequate pressure applied to various contacts of the inserted ribbon cable. Depending on

the contacts involved, this defect will result in random faults such as intermittent shutdowns, Error Code 33,

convergence issues, dead set, etc.

Although there is a possibility of deformed connectors in other LOT codes, Power Supply Deflection modules marked

with LOT # NNA600020A and Convergence Modules marked with LOT # NNA600011B are highly suspect. The LOT

number may be found on a white sticker just above the barcode label on each module. (Figure 2)

Knowlege is King Baby!!!

Repair man
Enthusiast

Mar 12, 2011, 6:02 AM

Post #3 of 5 (7046 views)
Shortcut

Hope I'm not steering you in the wrong direction but I think there is a cap that may be bad somewhere near where the yoke plugs connect to the sweep board (the vertical yoke wires; usually yellow & green). It may be a small rectangular cap I can't remember. I'm sorry I can't give you more accurate information it's been approx 4-5 years since I've worked on a set with this problem but follow the vertical wires & see where they lead.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you (or anyone reading this post) have any further questions or need clarification please feel free to contact me direct; you can find my email address by clicking on my user-name.

Learn Plasma TV Repair

mrd314861
New User

Jun 14, 2011, 12:20 AM

Post #4 of 5 (6342 views)
Shortcut

Hoping somebody can shed some new light on this one. It's been a few months and I still haven't made any progress with this problem. I'm really hoping someone has an idea, or I'm going to toss this thing.

Thanks!

jts1957
Veteran

Jun 14, 2011, 12:56 AM

Post #5 of 5 (6341 views)
Shortcut

When in doubt ... "C-4!"Wink

-------------------------

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.16 s on (CGI/1.1)