Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: Projection TV Forum:
Samsung HCL4715W Convergence issue.

suitcase12
New User

Jan 18, 2010, 7:58 PM

Post #1 of 3 (2464 views)
Shortcut
Samsung HCL4715W Convergence issue. Can't Post

Hello, I gave the set to my grandkids and all was well for a few hours. Then the picture went all wierd and looks like 3D without the glasses. I've tried setting the convergence per remote and manual but though I can move the lines and line up vertically it doesn't seem work horizonally. In other words I can't get the little "plus signs" to line up and turn white. Does that make sense? Perfect Focus doesn't work either. It goes blue, the half way through the red it quits. I pulled the back and all three lamps are burning. I noticed the base of the lamps have thumb screws and slots so that the lamp can be rotated right and left. I tried the red lamp but it didn't do anything much. Ironically with 3D glasses the picture looks ok, just not in 3D. Is there anything a TV dummie could do to get it watchable? We don't want to spend much on it.
Ok the rest of the story is that the tv has been used for three years or so in our bedroom and we loaded it on the pickup and moved to the upstairs tv room of the kids house. We were very careful not to bump or drop it but still it seems I remember reading that you shouldn't move these things much.

Repair man
Enthusiast

Jan 31, 2010, 5:28 AM

Post #2 of 3 (2416 views)
Shortcut
Re: [suitcase12] Samsung HCL4715W Convergence issue. [In reply to] Can't Post

It sounds like you have a problem with the convergence ICs. Samsung sets are very common for this

It may very likely just be bad solder joints on the convergence ICs. You could try resoldering them first being very careful to not cause any solder bridges between pins.

Please take some time to read through my posts, I've given a lot of advice on this problem and how to fix it.

If you have any other questions please ask. Feel free to contact me at my personal email which you can find in my profile. -- Bye for now, Dan

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you (or anyone reading this post) have any further questions or need clarification please feel free to contact me direct; you can find my email address by clicking on my user-name.

Learn Plasma TV Repair

easyab
New User

Feb 28, 2010, 3:51 AM

Post #3 of 3 (2308 views)
Shortcut
Re: [suitcase12] Samsung HCL4715W Convergence issue. [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

Samsung Convergence Faults in this model are one of the most difficult to repair for inexperienced technicians. Simple if you are familiar with this type of TV Repair. It also helps to have In-Home Service experience and a known good source of IC's.

First step is to confirm that you have a convergence fault with the Convergence Gallery at : http:Calgary.ConvergenceRepair.Com/gallery.asp (or Toronto.ConvergenceRepair.com, Vancouver, etc.)

Identify your specific fault (Red Vert, Blue Hor, etc.) using the customer menu and controls on your TV.

1. Open up the TV, Remove the correct PC board for access without doing damage. Do not disconnect HV leads or any other plugs that do not require removal for access.

2. Change the convergence IC's, check for defective resistors. The resistors are tiny and difficult to find and replace. Change if required. Fuses are hidden under heatsinks and almost impossible to find without knowing where they are.

3. Re-install board. Electronics Repair is Complete! Clean lens and minor adjust if required.

If you are a rookie and attempt repair, it is likely the TV will end up as scrap. Most "internet" ICs are erzatz (artificial and inferior substitute or imitation) and of no use. Blogs have been taken over by sellers of DUD ICs, telling you how easy it is to repair.

Soldering the STK 392 ICs and dis-assembly of the chassis and accessing the board are tasks that require a certain level of skill. Technical training and years of experience really pay off in this area. Identifying and dealing with secondary faults is also a specialized skill.

Many convergence help requests start with "I got some ICs Online, changed them and TV is dead or worse than before".

Replace Resistors and ICs with original values. Poor design of RPTV with STK ICs is a an urban myth created by incompetent servicers. IC failure is caused by Power Line Noise, Lightning Strikes, overheating and collisions with vacuum cleaners.

If you want to watch the TV again, get local service support. Inquire with a description of your trouble, if you do not get an instant recognition of the problem and a specific quote for the job, call someone else. Any shop that offers to do a service call for estimate (send a kid to pick it up) is either just starting in the business or trying to run your repair up to $300 - $600.

easyab
http://calgary.convergencerepair.com/index.asp

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.15 s on (CGI/1.1)