Free Games TV Forums

Main Index FORUM
HOME
Search Posts SEARCH
IN
Rules & FAQ RULES
F.A.Q.

Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: Projection TV Forum:
Samsung ST-42W5P convergence issue now won't turn on!

irock85
New User

Jan 26, 2010, 2:56 AM

Post #1 of 4 (1247 views)
Shortcut
Samsung ST-42W5P convergence issue now won't turn on! Can't Post

Alright I picked up this TV for free in hopes of repair. The lady I got it from said it had a red line through it.

I got the set home and turned it on. The red convergence was way off, with a curved line at the top left-hand corner of the screen and all the rest of the red curved and off as well. I tried the self convergence through the menu, but it didn't come close to fixing itself.

I read online that this is more than likely one of the STK IC's or the possibly other components on the convergence board that have failed.

SO...continuing my story, I looked this up online and went back out to turn the TV back on. When I hit the power button, the tubes don't fire up. It sounds like the flyback fires up, but the tubes aren't coming on fully. There is a very very faint glow towards the bottom of the insides each of the color tubes where the yolk is connected but nowhere near lit up enough to display a picture now.

Also, the TV used to make a chime when I turned it on, now when it tries to turn on, it doesn't make a chime - only a very slight blip in the speakers. In addition to this oddity, the power LED only lights up sometimes when I hit the power button and the set tries to come on...very strange.

I'm not sure which direction to take, whether it's a power issue or the convergence board causing this.

hannibal
New User

Jan 28, 2010, 5:20 PM

Post #2 of 4 (1232 views)
Shortcut
Re: [irock85] Samsung ST-42W5P convergence issue now won't turn on! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi there! Your TV symptoms sound VERY similar to mine. I have just posted my case under Akai PTH5498. I have done my research on the web and was advised to replace the two convergence IC's. Well, I did along with the two pico fuses underneath. Oddly enough, one of the pico fuses kept on popping up. So I decided to replace the entire "sub deflection" board. I believe many people call it the convergence board as well.
Well, any ways, I received the "new" Samsung convergence board. The installation went rather easy. By now I have taken the "old" board many times that I became "expert" on doing that. The TV turned on right away and I was able to adjust the "RED" convergence for better results using the "manual" convergence (the BLUE CAN NOT BE ADJUSTED on this model even though it is on the MENU!!!). I have to admit that the upper horizontal RED convergence adjustment is always "CURVED" at the ends with an "OFFSET" of about HALF an INCH from the screen top borderline. Well, I was happy with my "INVESTMENT" and "ACCOMPLISHMENT".Smile
But ONLY for a "SHORT" time. Frown The next day in the morning I started experiencing EXACTLY YOUR SYMPTOMS!!!! TV turns on but WITHOUT a PICTURE! I could touch and feel the Heat Sinks on the "new" deflection board getting REALLY HOT (an indication that the convergence IC's are functioning). But NO PICTURE!! I could NOT figure out any reason for that!!!
I called the board supplier and explained all that! I figured that the ONLY thing that I have replaced was the BOARD, then maybe I got a "bad" board. Well, they sent me another "new" board. You guessed right... Deja Vu!!! Now, I don't KNOW what to think anymore!!!
If you or anyone else ever figure out the "root" cause for this, I am forever indebted to you!!!
Thank you and good luck.
P.S. This is a great FORUM and I REALLY enjoy reading the scenarios, replies and comments!!!!Smile

Repair man
Enthusiast

Jan 31, 2010, 4:17 AM

Post #3 of 4 (1222 views)
Shortcut
Re: [irock85] Samsung ST-42W5P convergence issue now won't turn on! [In reply to] Can't Post

You may have bad solder joints on the convergence ICs (or the ICs have finally failed). Start by resoldering the two convergence ICs being very careful not to create any solder bridges between pins. If resoldering doesn't help you will likely need to change the ICs as well as some pico fuses (and possibly a couple of resistors but won't know this until you get a picture back).
If you are not sure which parts I'm referring to then take a few minutes to search and read through my past posts, I've given quite a bit of advice on these sets and don't have time right now to repeat it all.

If you have any other questions please ask. Feel free to contact me directly (you or anyone that requires help) you can get my email from my profile. -- Dan

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you (or anyone reading this post) have any further questions or need clarification please feel free to contact me direct; you can find my email address by clicking on my user-name.

Learn Plasma TV Repair

(This post was edited by Repair man on Jan 31, 2010, 4:20 AM)

Repair man
Enthusiast

Jan 31, 2010, 4:24 AM

Post #4 of 4 (1220 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hannibal] Samsung ST-42W5P convergence issue now won't turn on! [In reply to] Can't Post

As for you 'hannibal' you may have one or more yokes that are shorted which can cause repeat failure of convergence ICs.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you (or anyone reading this post) have any further questions or need clarification please feel free to contact me direct; you can find my email address by clicking on my user-name.

Learn Plasma TV Repair

(This post was edited by Repair man on Jan 31, 2010, 4:25 AM)

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.16 s on (CGI/1.1)