Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: Projection TV Forum:
Service Menu

speedracer0626
New User

Oct 26, 2010, 8:13 AM

Post #1 of 17 (4453 views)
Shortcut
Service Menu Can't Post

Ok I need some help with my Magnavox FP4630 W102 chassis # PTV620-AH01. What I need is some guidance with the service menu and how to setup everything from the service menu.

jts1957
Veteran

Oct 26, 2010, 12:45 PM

Post #2 of 17 (4446 views)
Shortcut
Re: [speedracer0626] Service Menu [In reply to] Can't Post

Careful. Advice: Stay out of it. Unlike removing HV anode leads, if wrong thing is done while in service menu, you may do more harm than good. Wink

Test mode "C" makes it possible to change the values of special memory registers in the EEPROM
(IC304). Pressing "RESET" on the Remote Transmitter activates these default values and causes them to
be read from memory. These registers control the customer adjustments, PIP setups, graphics intensity,
and clock calibration.
Which one are you wanting to adjust?

Most adjustments: geometry, gray scale, convergence are manual, made by variable resistor.

-------------------------

(This post was edited by jts1957 on Oct 26, 2010, 1:10 PM)

speedracer0626
New User

Oct 26, 2010, 5:07 PM

Post #3 of 17 (4439 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Service Menu [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks JTS I figured that it was very in depth and that maybe I didn't want to play. I changed all the fluid and have a little and I mean slight 3Ding at the top. I can get into the convergence menu and line the crosshairs up, but it still off a tad. What do you think? If I did change a few things how would one reset to factory default settings? Oh and thanks JTS.

(This post was edited by speedracer0626 on Oct 26, 2010, 5:09 PM)

speedracer0626
New User

Oct 26, 2010, 5:38 PM

Post #4 of 17 (4436 views)
Shortcut

The problem is that the blue convergence will not line up to the right in the white crosshairs. It is off by a fraction. What to do?

jts1957
Veteran

Oct 26, 2010, 6:21 PM

Post #5 of 17 (4435 views)
Shortcut

How sure are you that adjustments on each tube weren't compromised? And each CRT was reassembled correctly?

Which convergence menu? (customer?)

Can the red & blue move: 1) UP; 2) DOWN; 3) LEFT & 4) RIGHT through the CENTER cross?

-------------------------

(This post was edited by jts1957 on Oct 26, 2010, 6:25 PM)

speedracer0626
New User

Oct 26, 2010, 8:31 PM

Post #6 of 17 (4429 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Service Menu [In reply to] Can't Post

Through the customer convergence menu I get a white cross and the menu has two options. One for red and the other for blue. I can move the red around fine, although it isn't too bright when you start getting it around the white cross. The blue cross will move fine up and down, but when I push it to the right it only goes so far and it lacks maybe a 16th of an inch from reaching the white cross. The blue has no problem moving to the left. I feel confident as a home service tech that I did reassemble everything correctly, but the blue gun was the first one I tackled.

Ron.M
Veteran

Oct 27, 2010, 10:24 PM

Post #7 of 17 (4419 views)
Shortcut

jts1957 & speedracer0626;.....

jts1957;.....

It looks to me that he might have hit & moved the centering rings on the blue CRT when he changed the coolant....
I have a pix of the CRT assembly that I can upload & copy & paste but that takes me about 45 mins to do....
I'm short on time here & have to leave soon....
I'm guessing you have one that you can draw arrows on & paste here....
IF so THANKS A JILLION.....Sly.....

EDIT;....

jts1957;....
I found one....See next post....
THANKS anyways....Smile....

speedracer0626;....

IF jts1957 posts the pix , here's what I suggest you do.....
1st;....
Bring up the CUSTOMER convergence menu for the blue....
Using the CENTER cross ONLY ...
Move the vertical line ALL the way to the right....
Put your thumb where the line stops moving....
Then (leave your thumb there) move the line ALL the way to the left...
Note the location....
Then move the line to the center of the two locations.....
Do the same with the horizontal line.....
This will be up & down movements....
Do NOT be concerned as to where they are now....
On the blue CRT (& all the CRTs) at the bottom of the yoke there are two tabs for centering....(actually there might be 4)
Turn the tabs around the CRT slowly till you get a line centered on the green cross...
Then turn the other tab till you get the other line lined up....
There may be some interaction between the tabs...
Just play with them a little & you'll get the hang of it....
Warning:...IF the tabs do NOT move & appear to be stuck , do NOT force them as the tabs can break off & you will then be screwed , blued (NO pun intended) & tatooed....
Post back if they are stuck & I or ??? will tell you how to unstick them....

That should solve this part;=>...

The blue cross will move fine up and down, but when I push it to the right it only goes so far and it lacks maybe a 16th of an inch from reaching the white cross.

GOOD LUCK....Sly.....

Later....Ron.M....Cool.....
Veteran & Retired TV technician

(This post was edited by Ron.M on Oct 28, 2010, 9:43 PM)

Ron.M
Veteran

Oct 28, 2010, 9:40 PM

Post #8 of 17 (4409 views)
Shortcut

speedracer0626;.....

Here is a pix of a Magnavox/Philips yoke;=>...

This should be about the same as yours.....
Oftentimes there are tabs 180* opposite the ones shown.....

IF there's any probs , post & I or jts1957 or ??? will help you....

PLEASE post back with the results of the adjustments I gave you....
THANKS.....Sly......

Good Luck.....

Later....Ron.M....Cool....

(This post was edited by Ron.M on Oct 28, 2010, 9:44 PM)

Ron.M
Veteran

Oct 31, 2010, 9:28 PM

Post #9 of 17 (4392 views)
Shortcut

speedracer0626;....

It's been 5 days since you posted last & 4 days since I posted a solution for your problem....

I & jts1957 & others here volunteer our expertise & time to help people such as you....
We give you the courtesy of an expert answer...

I , when I request this;=>...

PLEASE post back with the results of the adjustments I gave you....
THANKS.....Sly......

I EXPECT that you would give US the same courtesy we gave you & answer back with the requested info....
Please note that I'm NOT asking for a "Thank you" (I seriously doubt that we'll get one..) , but an acknowledgement that the adjustment worked OR not.....
That's my satisfaction that I know I've helped someone....

Thanks anyway....Sly.....

Later...Ron.M....Cool....

speedracer0626
New User

Oct 31, 2010, 10:40 PM

Post #10 of 17 (4390 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ron.M] Service Menu [In reply to] Can't Post

It's ok Ron I know how it is to post one's advice and expertise and receive nothing for the nice gesture. Anyhow I have been super busy aquiring junk to work on and haven't had the time to piddle with my tv as of yet, I will tonight though. As for your post thank you for leading me in the correct direction on how to properly repair my goof up. The question I have is would scratches on the fisheye cause issues? I think it would be fixed by following the directions in your post, so again thank you for your time and effort in helping me.

speedracer0626
New User

Oct 31, 2010, 10:44 PM

Post #11 of 17 (4389 views)
Shortcut

Here ya go Ron. When I dive into it tonight I will take a few better pictures. Thanks Brother

(This post was edited by speedracer0626 on Oct 31, 2010, 10:45 PM)

Ron.M
Veteran

Nov 1, 2010, 1:01 AM

Post #12 of 17 (4383 views)
Shortcut

speedracer0626;.....

The question I have is would scratches on the fisheye cause issues?

I read about what you did to the blue fish-eye lens in one of the other threads....
Answer is ????
Depends on how bad , how deep , how many , how close together they are & how wide a scar there is....
IF they are mild , chances are that you probably wouldn't see anything in the pix...

I think it would be fixed by following the directions in your post,

NOOOOooo , NOOoooo , NO !!!!

My "helpful hint" ONLY is for;=>....

The blue cross will move fine up and down, but when I push it to the right it only goes so far and it lacks maybe a 16th of an inch from reaching the white cross.

Scratching of the lenses will cause a blurring of the pix in ONLY the areas of where the scratches are....
NOT a convergence issue....

From the looks of the pix you posted (A tad blurry) , the centering rings on your TV look like they are made of steel....
IF you take a close look at yours , see if they are...
IF so , you should be able to move them with moderate effort without fear of breaking the ring's tabs....
BUT , use care , as you can break the plastic tabs holding the rings in place......
After you do this , go back into the "CUSTOMER MENU" convergence adjustments ONLY & touch up the blue convergence adjustments...
That should take care of it...

Good Luck......Sly.....

PLEASE let us know how you did.....OK....THANKS....

speedracer0626
New User

Nov 1, 2010, 4:11 AM

Post #13 of 17 (4380 views)
Shortcut

Ron you are the man! It lined up perfectly after centering the tabs. I understand how going from one finger to the other then finding the center point is the way to go now. Only issue is now I see a tad bit of green where it shouldn't be. So no convergenence cross for the green gun what to do? Just play with the tabs till you get it right? Thanks so much for everything. I will be picking your brain from here on out lol.

Ron.M
Veteran

Nov 1, 2010, 5:36 PM

Post #14 of 17 (4373 views)
Shortcut

speedracer0626;....

So no convergenence cross for the green gun what to do?

Huh !!!....How did you line up the blue cross ????

Only issue is now I see a tad bit of green where it shouldn't be.

Where exactly & explain further what it looks like.....

Just play with the tabs till you get it right?

NOOOOOoooo , NOoooo , No....
The tabs are a "set & forget" type of adjustment....
Once they are set , leave them alone....
The tabs are NOT the cure for everything....
They are "centering rings" that accomplish ONE & ONLY ONE purpose....

I will be picking your brain from here on out lol.

Hmmmmm........We'll see how that works out....

Later....Ron.M....Cool....

speedracer0626
New User

Nov 1, 2010, 6:21 PM

Post #15 of 17 (4368 views)
Shortcut

I understand the fact that the tabs are a set and forget adjustment. When I watch a widescreen video/movie I see a tad bit of red at the lower left hand side of where the widescreen ends. At the top of the widescreen on the right side I will see a tad bit of green. When watching Family Guy just right below the hairline I will see a tad bit of green. I lined the blue cross per your directions in your post. Thank you for everything you have done for me so far in helping me to fix my goof up. There is only a red and blue convergence menu on my paticular tv. I was just wondering if and how one would go about correcting the blue gun.

Ron.M
Veteran

Nov 1, 2010, 6:42 PM

Post #16 of 17 (4363 views)
Shortcut

speedracer0626;.....

I watch a widescreen video/movie I see a tad bit of red at the lower left hand side of where the widescreen ends. At the top of the widescreen on the right side I will see a tad bit of green. When watching Family Guy just right below the hairline I will see a tad bit of green.

I haven't checked , but , I think this TV is about 10+ years old...
That said , IF you get 90% convergence , consider that EXCELLENT....
IF you get 100% convergence , check your "will" because you are dead & gone to heaven !!!!..
Otherwise....
I don't think I'll be able to do you much good with this one....
Post pix & I or someone else may be able to help....

There is only a red and blue convergence menu on my paticular tv.

That is correct , BUT , when you move the red OR blue cross over to one side , you should see a green cross....
Do you ????...

I was just wondering if and how one would go about correcting the blue gun.

Didn't we just do that here ???

It lined up perfectly after centering the tabs. I understand how going from one finger to the other then finding the center point is the way to go now.

& here ???

After you do this , go back into the "CUSTOMER MENU" convergence adjustments ONLY & touch up the blue convergence adjustments...
That should take care of it...

fljaweiu
New User

Jan 11, 2011, 7:37 AM

Post #17 of 17 (4332 views)
Shortcut

I guess i finally found the solution to this damn thing..I am really exhausted of this problem, it keeps on failing and failing but i think there really are some things that i missed to check..Thanks anyways, for the information shared here... I really do hope this would fix it.. Or else, I don't know what to do anymore...
On the grapevine have heard it takes a while to work it all out, but once that is done, a friend has told me that it is very quick. He did not have to give his credit card details out to anyone, but they are inserted into part of a programme on your own computer. Apparently. So no need for scare tactics on that score.Google is your friend.
cartier love ring
cartier love charity bracelet
buy cartier bracelets
cartier pens

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.18 s on (CGI/1.1)