Sony Convergence Repair - now TV won't stay on

chris17
New User

May 4, 2010, 8:57 AM

Post #1 of 13 (7821 views)
Shortcut
Sony Convergence Repair - now TV won't stay on Can't Post

Hello,

I ordered a Sony KP-57WV700 Convergence Repair Kit from tvrepairkits.com and attempted the repair. I replaced the convergence chips and turned the TV back on. It seemed fixed. My picture was back to normal. ("success!" I thought.....wrong!)

After about 5 minutes my TV powered down. It would only stay on a few minutes before powering down.

I did some research and read that this may be due to a bad soldering job. So I desoldered the convergence chips and resoldered them. Now my TV's convergence is worse than when I began the repair...and the TV still will not stay on for more than a few seconds.

I'm not sure what to do at this point. I did not change the pico fuses as I did not know how to test them with the meter I have. Any assistance you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

techchris
Veteran

May 4, 2010, 4:55 PM

Post #2 of 13 (7817 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chris17] Sony Convergence Repair - now TV won't stay on [In reply to] Can't Post

Always order original Sony parts as cheapo replacements dont last in Sony stuff. You have probably just fitted junk ic's and now all the soldering has finished them off completely.

jts1957
Veteran

May 4, 2010, 5:04 PM

Post #3 of 13 (7816 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chris17] Sony Convergence Repair - now TV won't stay on [In reply to] Can't Post

Same way you check ANY wire for continuity.Wink

Did we apply heat sink compound?Angelic

-------------------------

chris17
New User

May 4, 2010, 7:18 PM

Post #4 of 13 (7808 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Sony Convergence Repair - now TV won't stay on [In reply to] Can't Post

The chips I bought were supposed to be authentic Sanyo chips (which are what are used in the Sony models)...but the concensus seems to be that I burned them out with too much soldering.

I'm a total lamer when it comes to this stuff. never soldered before...but like an idiot I read about these kits and thought I could do it myself.

Looks like I need to get some new chips.

Do you guys know why the TV would turn off on it's own? Do you think this was due to bad pico fuses?? Because I had the TV fixed but it wouldn't stay on...that's my biggest worry with buying new chips.

jts1957
Veteran

May 4, 2010, 8:35 PM

Post #5 of 13 (7806 views)
Shortcut

Do you even know what heat sink compound is? And where to apply it?Unimpressed

chris17
New User

May 4, 2010, 9:55 PM

Post #6 of 13 (7803 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Sony Convergence Repair - now TV won't stay on [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, I did apply that compound to the back of the convergence chips. I wasn't flying completely blind...the repair kit came with pretty detailed instructions.

I believe I would have been OK if I had done a better soldering job initially...because the TV worked fine after I did the job. Picture was great. But it turned off automatically after 5 minutes. Right now THAT is the thing I have no clue about. I don't know for sure if it was my soldering or if it was a blown fuse or what.

If I was 100% sure it was bad soldering, I'd just buy more chips and redo the job.

The instructions I had weren't clear on the pico fuses..but they said that more than half the time the pico fuses do not need to be replaced and that I could skip this step (and if the problem persisted after changing convergence chips, go back and do the fuses)

So I skipped the pico fuses. So I think the main problem was probably my soldering. Does that sound right?

Sorry for the long response.

jts1957
Veteran

May 4, 2010, 10:23 PM

Post #7 of 13 (7801 views)
Shortcut

I replaced the convergence chips and turned the TV back on. It seemed fixed. My picture was back to normal. ("success!" I thought.....wrong!)

I don't think it would have worked correctly (even for only 5 minutes) if the solder job had been bad. Two adjacent joints would have had to be so close together, that as they heated up and expanded, they would have then made a connection?Crazy

chris17
New User

May 4, 2010, 10:28 PM

Post #8 of 13 (7799 views)
Shortcut

I was really careful to make sure I didn't have any bridged connections. The pins are quite close together so I guess them joining after the fact is a possibility.

I thought more along the lines of the solder not forming a good enough connection with the pins. I just know that the kit instructions said that if the TV powers down to check your solder work.

Given what you said, is it possible that the TV worked for 5 minutes perfectly but then turned off because of a bad pico fuse?

jts1957
Veteran

May 4, 2010, 10:46 PM

Post #9 of 13 (7797 views)
Shortcut

Doubtful, but easy enough to see if each fuse has continuity.Cool

chris17
New User

May 4, 2010, 11:14 PM

Post #10 of 13 (7794 views)
Shortcut

Yeah, the instructions for that were not clear but I'm sure I could find a video on YouTube or something.

So if you were me, would you reorder convergence chips and try again?

My fear is that I'll buy the convergence chips, the picture will be fine but the TV won't stay on.

jts1957
Veteran

May 4, 2010, 11:26 PM

Post #11 of 13 (7792 views)
Shortcut

One thing you might try (does not work on ALL sets) is to either "float" the pins of the ICs (or remove them completely). Clean the area with isopropyl rubbing alcohol or flux remover, then let evaporate. Try to operate set, and see if it stays on. Of course, the convergence will be terrible, but if set continues to run, pretty well proves ICs (or soldering) is cause.Wink

chris17
New User

May 4, 2010, 11:32 PM

Post #12 of 13 (7790 views)
Shortcut

That is a fantastic idea. I will definitely try that. I really appreciate your help on this one. You got me to the next step which is what I was looking for.

Thanks!

tvrepairkits
New User

May 4, 2011, 9:09 PM

Post #13 of 13 (7148 views)
Shortcut

Hi Chris17,

If your TV ran for 5 min or 5 days after the repair the two most common reason are as follows.

1) Soldering - If your soldering was too close together it will expand and short out when the TV heats up. Since you mentioned that it shut down after 5 min that is our guess. We see this all the time. Go back over your soldering again. Fixing it will commonly resolve he problem. Also note these chips are fairly hardy and typically wont get damaged due to solder shorts.

2) Thermal grease - do not run the chips without it and always clean off the old grease completely from the heat-sink before putting new grease.

3) Bad chips - Its rare to get a bad chip from Sanyo but not impossible. It is however very common to get bad generic/china chips as mentioned by the previous poster. I can assure you that at www.TvRepairKits.com we only use original Sanyo chips in our kits. Using the generics for us would be a nightmare since we also provide support for the repair.

On a side note I noticed that this was posted a long time ago...I can only hope that you also contacted us via email for support with your kit since that is part of what you are paying for when you get a complete kit.

Thanks
Ed

http://www.TvRepairKits.com
Hope this Helps,

Ed

http://www.TvRepairKits.com

(This post was edited by tvrepairkits on May 4, 2011, 9:13 PM)

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.17 s on (CGI/1.1)