Sony KF42sx300 No power up...advice please

dooper
New User

Oct 1, 2012, 5:42 PM

Post #1 of 7 (6307 views)
Shortcut
Sony KF42sx300 No power up...advice please Can't Post

Hi..

I have a Sony KF42SX300 rear projection tv which i have owned for some time with no issues. It was given to me free of charge some years ago as the picture went hazy. I removed the optical unit and cleaned up all the screen and lenses and it was then near perfect ! Fast forward a couple of years and i tried to turn it on today but when operating the remote control or the manual switch it just flicks to green then back to red and thats it. No continual blinking,just green then back to red. No sound of fans powering up. Checked bulb and it looked fine....All lcues welcome..

Ron.M
Veteran

Oct 1, 2012, 9:42 PM

Post #2 of 7 (6299 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dooper] Sony KF42sx300 No power up...advice please [In reply to] Can't Post

dooper;....

I am not familiar with that model TV , let alone a Sony big screen....
I can , however , tell you that those high intensity lamps can look good & STILL be bad...

Chances are that with the time used by the previous owner & your years of usage , the lamp could need replacing...

Owners user manual is here;=>...
http://www.sony.co.uk/.../product/KF-42SX300K

This manual should be 99.999% the same for your TV...
There are KF42sx300 , a KF42sx300u , KF42sx300K & other versions for this model series...
The first 32/33 pages are in english then translated into other languages...
See if the "lamp" LED is on or flashing...

A bit of advice;....
IF you decide to get a lamp , do NOT get the cheapie generic lamps...
They are nothing but trouble...
And you get what you pay for....
Go to page 27 & 28 in the manual for lamp info....

I suspect you are in the UK.....
IF so , here is a good start for you;=>....
http://www.ebay.com/...V-BULB-/360228655783

IF you replace the lamp it IS EXTEMELY IMPORTANT you wear gloves & do NOT touch the lamp with your fingers as the oil from your skin can blow the lamp...

Hope this helped....

BTW;....
What does "lcues" mean ???

GOOD LUCK....Sly....

Have a great day & week.....Sly...

Later...Ron.M....Cool....
Veteran & Retired TV technician

(This post was edited by Ron.M on Oct 1, 2012, 9:45 PM)

dooper
New User

Oct 2, 2012, 7:54 AM

Post #3 of 7 (6295 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ron.M] Sony KF42sx300 No power up...advice please [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Ron...

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply.

(Lcues= clues..mispelt !)

Well strangely enough last evening i hit power on on the remote and it fired up as normal !

From memory of the last time i stripped it to clean the optical block,this set has three fans in it. I'm just wondering if perhaps there is a fan blower detector of some sort on one of the fans and at power up,a fan wasnt starting>no blower detection> no full power up...i dont have a schematic for this set some im speculating. Seems like either a one off failure or the start of an intermittent issue..

I'm just wondering why generic bulbs cause issues as ive read this a couple of times

Thanks again Ron..

EDIT..just to add,tried it again this morning and it again refuses to fire up...dohhhh..

EDIT..i managed to find and download a service manual for this television

Hit power on on the remote and it decided to start up.

Put remote control into service mode

Accessed service menus of TV and checked errors list.

The following info is displayed...

Service menu LE4 v4.42
Working time 54285.11 >which i dont think is right since the bulb has never been changed to my knowledge and the set is now about 7 or 8 years old i think..

The following errors are lised though there are no times /dates displayed

E12 scan rate 1
E14 back end 1
E22 digital gamma 2
E23 lcd drivers 3
e02 lamp cover 1

So this seems like an intermittent issue...

(This post was edited by dooper on Oct 2, 2012, 3:26 PM)

Ron.M
Veteran

Oct 2, 2012, 5:04 PM

Post #4 of 7 (6282 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dooper] Sony KF42sx300 No power up...advice please [In reply to] Can't Post

dooper;....

My help on this TV is limited...
I have seen bad lamps cause some strange problems...
I've seen where bad lamps & generic replacements cause the problem you are having...
I'm NOT saying that this is YOUR problem....
I AM saying that this is a good place to start....
Reasons are;=>....

Service menu LE4 v4.42
Working time 54285.11 >which i dont think is right since the bulb has never been changed to my knowledge and the set is now about 7 or 8 years old i think..

No matter how you cut it , that TV is overdue for a new lamp....
TV is (according to my manual) 9 years old...(2003)
54285.11 is the total hours the set was up & running...
Think of it as the mileage a car has on it...
Also , NO lamp would last that long !!!!
IF memory serves , new lamp life expectantly is around 6,000 hours...
So somewhere along the line , the lamp has been changed more than a few times....

I'm just wondering why generic bulbs cause issues as ive read this a couple of times

They are made cheaper than OEM lamps....
Like buying generic bread....

So this seems like an intermittent issue...

Duhhhh !!!!

I advise you STRONGLY NOT to dink (adjust) around with Factory Service adjustments...
Those are for TRAINED EXPERIENCED Techs ONLY !!!....
IF you mess around & adjust the wrong adjustment , you can wind up with a permanently screwed up TV that would make a 42" doorstop or a great boat anchor...
So unless you know what you are doing stay OUT of the Factory Service menu....

Your call.....

Good Luck...Sly....

Later....Ron.M....Cool...

dooper
New User

Oct 2, 2012, 5:36 PM

Post #5 of 7 (6279 views)
Shortcut

Hi Ron..

No i wont be tweaking any menu items. I just thought the Error list might throw up some dramatic evidence!

Strangely enough it fired up again this evening with no issues!

The reason why i queried the total lamp hours is that im pretty sure i read somewhere that there is a software error on these sets which causes the useage hours to be recorded incorrectly.

The age is about right as manufacturers stickers on inner cases show dates in 2004.

I know for certain its still on its original bulb as it only had one previous owner and i know him.

As you say though,its had eight years of use !

This really all boils down to viability i.e whether its financially viable to have it investigated/repaired by a tech when a new LED good quality 42" set can be had for around £399.

By the way,if you want the service manual for this set i now have it in pdf if you want to add it to your collection?

Regards

Joe

Ron.M
Veteran

Oct 2, 2012, 6:45 PM

Post #6 of 7 (6276 views)
Shortcut

dooper;....

I know for certain its still on its original bulb as it only had one previous owner and i know him.

IF 54285.11 is anywhere near correct , then original lamp is IMPOSSIBLE !!!!
Even if the time is wrong , I seriously doubt that a software problem is the cause of your problem...
I know of no one that has gotten 8 years of normal usage out of ONE lamp...Sorry...

This really all boils down to viability i.e whether its financially viable to have it investigated/repaired by a tech when a new LED good quality 42" set can be had for around £399.

Here's the thing;....
Changeing a lamp does NOT require a TV tech...
IF you were to go for a lamp...
Most eBayers have a warranty & a refund policy...
http://www.ebay.com/...655783#ht_2245wt_758
His warranty;=>...

Our Return Policy: Items must be accompanied with a note briefly explaining the reason for return in the same packaging & condition as when delivered, within 30 days of purchase date. All returns must be shipped using a carrier providing tracking information to ensure their arrival. For Ebay purchases, PayPal email address, eBay User ID and item number is required. A 10 - 15% handling and restocking fee will be incurred on any merchandise that has been supplied correctly and the buyer is responsible for all return shipping fees associated with returning the "Correctly Supplied" merchandise. Return address: Sound & Vision 461 Barlow Moor Road Manchester M21 8AU

So IF you got his lamp & it did not work , you can send it back & get a refund less 10~15% handling & restocking fee which comes out to around 5.5 GBP ....
That versus 400 GBP...
There are other listings for this lamp that are in the USA (& UK) that DO ship to your country (UK)... There is a wide range of prices starting at $32.96 USD (which includes the housing) & some will ship to your country...
The ones I looked at are new , NOT generics , & some are with housing...

$32.96 USD.....^^^^

Check it out here;=>...
http://www.ebay.com/...op=15#item3a7386e8a8

Your call....

By the way,if you want the service manual for this set i now have it in pdf if you want to add it to your collection?

Thank you for your kind offer , but I do not work on many of those sets...

Good Luck....Sly....

Later...Ron.M....Cool...

dooper
New User

Oct 5, 2012, 8:54 AM

Post #7 of 7 (6266 views)
Shortcut

I now have a solution !

The TV has a power button on the front. It has three positions those being off/standby and on. Its a push button which shuttles between the three positions.

The tv can of course be operated via the remote.

By experimentation i have found that if the tv is in standby then operating the remote to on or the button to on fails to start.

However if the set finally powers up and i then switch it to full off on the power button,it will then restart by turning it on on the same button so i just operate between full off and on and not use standby and it now works !

weird..must be something to do with the switching logic circuitry..anyway it is now usable again !

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.17 s on (CGI/1.1)