Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: Projection TV Forum:
Sony Rear Projection Failure

EL_88
New User

Dec 14, 2009, 1:55 AM

Post #1 of 12 (7457 views)
Shortcut
Sony Rear Projection Failure Can't Post

Hi all, I have a sony 46 inch Rear Projection Television which is about 7 years old now. I have seldom noticed very faint blue circular lines in the picture in the last year or so.

Recently, When turning on the Television, The image appears for a short second or 2, then the entire screen flashes blue and turns off. Following, the red LED light will flash 6 times.

I was told that it is likely the picture tube. However, from reading other sources i was informed it could be a "thermal switch". Could this even be a possibility?

Also, could anyone recommend a cost effective way of repairing this?

thanks in advance!

Ron.M
Veteran

Dec 16, 2009, 12:30 AM

Post #2 of 12 (7443 views)
Shortcut
Re: [EL_88] Sony Rear Projection Failure [In reply to] Can't Post

EL_88;....

Also, could anyone recommend a cost effective way of repairing this?

I'm gonna try , but....>>

How much electronic / TV repair background do you have ???

Later...Ron.M...Cool....
Veteran & Retired TV technician

EL_88
New User

Dec 16, 2009, 5:44 AM

Post #3 of 12 (7438 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ron.M] Sony Rear Projection Failure [In reply to] Can't Post

I don`t have any experience with repairing TV`s, only automotive electronics. Is there a way that i can diagnose the problem so i can be centain, then of course i can look into cost of parts?
Appreciate the Reply Ron

Ron.M
Veteran

Dec 16, 2009, 6:20 PM

Post #4 of 12 (7432 views)
Shortcut

EL_88;....

I don`t have any experience with repairing TV`s, only automotive electronics.

Then this is not something I would reccommend you do.....

In reply to your questions;==>

I was told that it is likely the picture tube. However, from reading other sources i was informed it could be a "thermal switch". Could this even be a possibility?

No , it is not the picture tube(s)....Or a "thermal switch". No such thing in that TV !!!

Following, the red LED light will flash 6 times.

Here is what 6 flashes mean according to another website's Tech info;==>

• Six blinks - No Horizontal (H STOP), no raster, goes to the blinking self-diagnosis function immediately. Check C515 & 516 and the jungle IC, IC206.

• This is NOT a repair for you to tackle...
    These parts may/may not even be in your TV as you have not provided us with a model number...
    Those parts shouldn't be very expensive , but the labor (By a reputable TV repair shop) could be....

Sorry , I can't be of further help....Unsure....

Good Luck & Happy Holidays to you & your loved ones....

Later....Ron.M....Cool....

EL_88
    New User

Dec 19, 2009, 7:40 PM

Post #5 of 12 (7414 views)
    Shortcut

Here i have recorded a clip. Could anyone identify the problem?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZTLWCsPYZU
    At this Point im basically trying to conclude if it would be worth the repair parts/labour. My alternative would be to buy a new LCD for $1000 or so.

(This post was edited by EL_88 on Dec 19, 2009, 7:43 PM)

Ron.M
    Veteran

Dec 19, 2009, 8:54 PM

Post #6 of 12 (7408 views)
    Shortcut

EL_88;....

I viewed your video....
    That pretty much rules out 6 blinks...I think you may have miscounted....
    At any rate , the best most sensible advice I can give you would be to call a reputable TV repair shop for an estimate (hopefully free) ..
    Not knowing where you live , my guess would be that that repair should not cost more than $250 ~$350...
    Give some thought to how old is the TV , how much trouble did you have in the past with it & how good was the pix & sound before this problem showed up...Your call....Laugh...
    After that you can decide whether or not an LCD would be a logical way to go...

GOOD LUCK.....

Later...Ron.M....Cool....

EL_88
    New User

Dec 20, 2009, 3:19 AM

Post #7 of 12 (7403 views)
    Shortcut

By 6 blinks i was refering to the diagonistic LED light below the screen.

Thanks again Ron, Happy Hoildays

Ron.M
    Veteran

Dec 20, 2009, 7:16 PM

Post #8 of 12 (7395 views)
    Shortcut

EL_88;.....

By 6 blinks i was refering to the diagonistic LED light below the screen.

Well , sir , so was I...
    Due to the fact you get a picture even tho it lasts for only a few seconds pretty much rules out the "6" blink code...
    OR these codes do not apply to your TV , which is unlikely...
    Lets clear the codes & start fresh....
    Do this with the TV off....Use original Sony remote...
    Where you see this ">>" thats my edit to the original method....
    That does NOT change proceedure...

""IMPORTANT: After you repair the unit, you MUST clear the values on this diagnostic screen. These codes do not reset themselves after the fault is corrected, so if you don't clear them, you'll be seeing "old" fault codes the next time you enter this screen. Clearing is done by going into the service mode (display, channel, 5, volume plus, then power ). >> EDIT:..TV will then turn on..Do this as soon as you see red led light up.. >>>.Press 8 and Enter, which returns everything to the factory preset condition.""

Then turn TV off...Turn TV back on & re-count blinks....

As you can see , even tho you (or someone else) may have made repairs , you may be looking at "old" fault codes...

Please post the blink code you get after you do the above....

Thanks....

PS:..EL_88;.....

This below is FYI & you may want to try this 1st...
    I don't think the screen will stay on long enough to get any info from it , tho it's worth a try...
    IF you see more than 1 item listed & it stays on , try to write them down & post the info...
    When you post , answer this;...Did it stay on long enough to get info & was there more than 1 item listed ???

Try this 1st; Your call....
    You can also bring up these fault codes on-screen to see a list of the problem numbers with the abbreviation of the problem and the number of times this problem has occurred. This is slightly different than entering the service mode. To see the diagnostic screen, press the following buttons: Display, Channel, 5, volume Minus, ( not plus ) then Power. This brings up a screen with a list of the problems and number of times they have occurred. Each of the problems named, are abbreviated as, "OCP", "OVP", "V STOP", ETC. We have repeated them in parentheses in the text for the "Blinks" described above so you can correlate between the diagnostic screen and the blink codes..

Turn TV off at the set....(Front panel)...
    Then clear old codes....

Later..Ron.M...Cool....

EL_88
    New User

Dec 21, 2009, 12:09 AM

Post #9 of 12 (7390 views)
    Shortcut

I have followed your instructions an have not been able to see any information off the screen. However after resetting the tv, I am now getting 8 blinks, does that make more sense?

Ron.M
    Veteran

Dec 21, 2009, 6:46 PM

Post #10 of 12 (7383 views)
    Shortcut

EL_88;....

However after resetting the tv, I am now getting 8 blinks, does that make more sense?

Yes , it does....The 6 blink code was fixed in the past & not cleared...The 8 blink code is your present problem & needs to be checked into......

The complete code for 8 blinks follows;==>

• Eight blinks - Problem with the audio (AUDIO), unit goes to standby and blinks the self-diagnosis code. Check IC406 audio amp, PS401, and 402. On some projection models of Sony TV sets, this code means that T8005 (flyback transformer), or the associative components in the high voltage circuits are defective on the D board.

• Note;...The flyback mentioned above is NOT the problem...Your TV has high voltage (You get a pix for a few seconds) so that part is ruled out ...Most likely the audio amp is bad...

This once again is not something you are able to repair yourself...
    I repeat;
    At any rate , the best most sensible advice I can give you would be to call a reputable TV repair shop for an estimate (hopefully free) ..
    Not knowing where you live , my guess would be that that repair should not cost more than $150 ~$250... << Note price drop !!!
    Give some thought to how old is the TV , how much trouble did you have in the past with it & how good was the pix & sound before this problem showed up...Your call....Laugh...
    After that you can decide whether or not an LCD would be a logical way to go...

Sorry I could not be of more help...
    Happy Holidays to you & your loved ones...

GOOD LUCK....

Laster...Ron.M......Cool....

randomdes
    New User

May 13, 2010, 5:36 PM

Post #11 of 12 (7256 views)
    Shortcut

Hey Ron,

Remember me? You helped me fix a 57" projection which is still going strong. Thanks again.

Anyway. I am now in possession of this tv.

When i got it, it was doing as per the youtube video, and giving 8 blinks.

To my uneducated eye looked like a screen bias adjustment issue. So I got it home, turned down the screen bias, and the TV flashes less, and doesn't shut down, but it started smelling nasty. On further inspection, R7324 was starting to burn up.

I then tried pulling the blue driver board off the tube, and running the set that way. No excessive current draw, but I hear arcing. At this point i quickly shut the set down, as my last projection damaged a tube by arcing (that damned dot!)

The arcing happens after a similar amount of time, and in a similar pattern to the blue flashes when the blue board is attached.

I'm not sure what to troubleshoot next, so I thought I'd get some guidance from here, since probing about test points isn't really an option unless I have a good plan.

Thanks in advance,
    Ian

Ron.M
    Veteran

May 13, 2010, 8:30 PM

Post #12 of 12 (7246 views)
    Shortcut
    Re: [randomdes] Sony Rear Projection Failure [In reply to] Can't Post

randomdes;...

Yes , I remember you....
    Sony KP57HW40....CRT ICs etc.....

1st;....
    Start a new thread....
    Post most or all of what you posted here......
    Some questions I need answers to;=>....
    1=...IS this set the EXACT set from "EL_88" ????....
    2=...He said it was a 46" TV...IS IT ????...
    3=...Please provide a Model # ....(He didn't)..

See ya later....Wink....

Later...Ron.M.....Cool....

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.18 s on (CGI/1.1)