Toshiba hypermodule

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

bogart219
User

Jul 13, 2009, 9:38 AM

Post #1 of 141 (12719 views)
Shortcut
Toshiba hypermodule Can't Post

Hey guys, I have the 57hdx82. The tv worked fine except for the zig-zag issues. Well yesterday I took the plunge and replaced the bad caps on the hyperboard. It was a real pain and if I had to do it over again I would of sent it in. I tore off 3 pads doing it but used small wires to hook the trace back up to the new cap. I used 10 ohm, 16 volt 105c radial caps. I only took the signal board out. I unsoldered the the cage of the hyperboard from underneath by turning the set over on its face and removing the chicken wire on the bottom of the set. I hooked everything back up and now I have a dead set. The red power light comes on and stays on for fifteen minutes then goes out but thats it. Being I didn't mess with the main boards would you think that If I screwed something up in that hypermodule that the set would at least come on? I mean the picture might of been screwed up but the set should still come on right? The main fuse is ok. Would laying the tv over on its screen to get to the underneath cause this. Before I started I did vacum the boards but did not disconnect anything. Is there anything you could suggest I check for or try? I have a service manual for a 65hdx82 but it should be good for this model also from what I read. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

jts1957
Veteran

Jul 13, 2009, 7:46 PM

Post #2 of 141 (12711 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bogart219] Toshiba hypermodule [In reply to] Can't Post

I used 10 ohm, 16 volt 105c radial caps.

Well there's your problem, 10 OHM caps? What were you thinking (drinking/smoking)?(10ufd, I prsume)Wink

Any solder splash or bridge could take out a power supply line, or ground a data/clock line, etc.

Before I started I did vacum the boards but did not disconnect anything.

Are you sure? Did you try it immediately after finishing "vacum?"Angelic

-------------------------

bogart219
User

Jul 13, 2009, 9:41 PM

Post #3 of 141 (12709 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Toshiba hypermodule [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah your right it was u ohms. No I didn"t try it after I vacumed it.Didn't think of it. I'm going to lift that mainboard up and check those solder joints on those four solder points that hold the hyperboard in. Then I will send the board in. Thanks for the reply!

In Reply To

bogart219
User

Jul 18, 2009, 1:26 PM

Post #4 of 141 (12695 views)
Shortcut

I sent the module in the guy on ebay to fix,

bogart219
User

Jul 30, 2009, 10:40 PM

Post #5 of 141 (12677 views)
Shortcut

JTS, I got my hyperboard back from kcarrigan today. I reinstalled it. However, I still got the same problem as I did before I sent the board in. When you turn it on, you hear a click, sounds like a amp kicks on, but thats it. No picture or sound. The red light on front of the unit comes on for fifteen minutes then shuts off. Do you have any suggestions on what I can check? I checked about 7 or 8 fuses on the main power board but they where all good. I didn't think to turn it back on and try it when I was done vacuming it.Any ideas on what I can check? Thanks!
57hdx82 As always, thanks for your time!

jts1957
Veteran

Jul 31, 2009, 1:59 AM

Post #6 of 141 (12675 views)
Shortcut

Be easier if we knew when it stopped working. I'll see what I can scrounge up tomorrow. Too tired right now.

bogart219
User

Jul 31, 2009, 10:17 AM

Post #7 of 141 (12672 views)
Shortcut

JTS,
The set was working ok except for the squigly lines in
SD. HD was fine for the most part. Opened back up. Vacumed inside and used canned air. Did not turn back on set at this time. Flipped set over on its face to get to underside of board. (several other people doing this repair supposedly did it this way with no ill effects from putting it on its face, their repair was successful). I removed chicken wire and unsoldered the four spots holding the hyper on. Removed the hyper took down on the bench to replace caps. Bad choice on my part. (JTS, have you noticed I've made alot of bad decisions lately?) I wasn't comfortable with the repair I made. I plugged the Hyper back in and tried it. No sound, no picture. It seemed the first time I turned it on after my botched repair attempt, that the red light on the front was blinking. I shut it off to check connections. Every time after this when I turned it on the red light in the front would come on for about 15 mintues then shut off on its own. I sent the module out to be reworked to Ken on ebay. I got it back and tried and have the same symptoms. Ken did say I had a leads off a couple of caps going to the wrong trace. Thats where I stand now. I have a service manual for the 65hdx82, but its supposed to be for my set to. I'm going to see If I can find any fuse's on the board the hypermodule sits on. Please let me know what you think, later!

jts1957
Veteran

Jul 31, 2009, 11:49 AM

Post #8 of 141 (12670 views)
Shortcut

I wasn't comfortable with the repair I made.

What did you mean by this?

You have the SM, I don't. Find schematic, B-plus distribution block diagram, etc. The module requires power to work, probably more than one source. With module in or out of set, confirm those voltages are there (and correct).
I don't believe caps can be replaced without removing module, although I've always untied ties. marked and unplugged connectors/wires, etc., until I had enough slack. You mentioned Ken agreed that you had some "leads going to wrong trace." You may have inadvertently dripped/"splashed" solder onto another area of the board.

bogart219
User

Jul 31, 2009, 11:54 PM

Post #9 of 141 (12664 views)
Shortcut

Hello again JTS,
When I said " I wasn't comfortable with the repair I made."
What I meant was I lifted four solder pads up on those smd's caps.I soldered wires from the lifted pads down through a holes in the board To a spot where I thought the trace went. Plus the cage that the board was in had four big solder points down to the board that I had a hell of a time separating . I thought I used to much heat. Not sure. Just uncomfortable with the whole job I did.
As far as that service manual, if you go to this link you can download it for free. This guy made this repair and was one of the threads I was following on this repair. Here is the link:
http://www.dshosu.com/how-to-fix-toshiba-rear-projection-hdtv-wavy-lines/
Scroll down a little to "extras" and you'll see it. (hdx82 manual ).
I don't quite understand what you mean plus B+ block distribution diagram. If you get these schmatics maybe you can point me in the right direction. I did check two bridges near the main ac in power and both were putting out 164 volts dc. Let me know what you think! regardsSmile

jts1957
Veteran

Aug 1, 2009, 11:17 AM

Post #10 of 141 (12659 views)
Shortcut

Took 2 tries but finally got downloaded/extracted.
Set only has a Main Block diagram - power is in bottom left corner.
Anyway Measure RESISTANCE (Black meter lead to ground) to the following pins of Hyper: Pins 16 & 17; Pins 19 & 20; Pin 22; Pin 24; & Pin 25. Which (if any) read less than 1K ohm (after about 15 sec)?

(This post was edited by jts1957 on Aug 1, 2009, 11:18 AM)

bogart219
User

Aug 1, 2009, 12:23 PM

Post #11 of 141 (12656 views)
Shortcut

JTS, Those diagrams in that manual were somewhat confusing to me. It seemed like not all the schmatics were included but I might be wrong. As far as measuring the pins on that hyperboard, This set has two boards that are connected by 3 "clips". The hyperboard snaps in to the motherboard on the right (opposite the power board on the left). The signal or input board sits and plugs in directly in front of the hyper board. To measure those pins on the hyper, it seems I would have to do so from underneath, which I can't get to the bottom side without disconnecting the board. I will examine again and see if those pins come out to a spot on the board I can get to. I will try to post some pics. I'll get back to you. Thanks!

jts1957
Veteran

Aug 1, 2009, 12:50 PM

Post #12 of 141 (12654 views)
Shortcut

Pulling the lightbox may make access easier. It's shown in the disassembly drawing. Have NOT been through ALL pages, but so far appears to be all there.

F890 & F891?

If you were thinking that there would be an easily accessed "connector" that you could plug a diagnostic scanner into and obtain the code that would lead you to the defective part or area ... never mind ... that's in automobiles.
Although TV's do have some diagnostics with flashing LEDs.

(This post was edited by jts1957 on Aug 1, 2009, 1:06 PM)

bogart219
User

Aug 1, 2009, 11:34 PM

Post #13 of 141 (12647 views)
Shortcut

I'm looking for these now
F890 & F891?

bogart219
User

Aug 3, 2009, 5:52 PM

Post #14 of 141 (12637 views)
Shortcut

Hello again JTS, Well I found all those fuses and check them with my fluke. They all check out ok I think. Three of them, F470, F890 and F891 all checked at .8 ohms while all the other ones checked .1 or 0 ohms. Don't know if this is significant.
If I understood you correctly, You wanted me to check some pins to ground on the "hyper" Which is the board I just had repair. (Also called digi-conv board I believe).
Here are a couple of pics. The first is a different model #,
but it looks exactly the same as this:
http://i526.photobucket.com/albums/cc344/bogey219/57hdx82.jpg
This next pick is with the signal board,(one on the right out):
http://i526.photobucket.com/albums/cc344/bogey219/toshibasignalboard.jpg.
I don't see how I can test those pins your talking about with everything hooked up. That board sits in a socket on the signal board and the only way I can see to get to those pins are from under the board. Taking the light box out wouldn't seem to help any. Could you please elaborate? Also those leads I had "going to wrong places" were on the hyperboard and ken repaired those. Thanks again for you direction!

jts1957
Veteran

Aug 4, 2009, 2:44 AM

Post #15 of 141 (12630 views)
Shortcut

A fuse IS a "wire." How do you test a wire?
Digi-conv is the board next to convergence amplifiers!
If you "tack" solder a length of hookup wire to each point (or on same foil nearby - if safer). Keep track of which wire is which point of course.
After testing for resistance - If all found to be O.K. you can use same wires to test voltages.

bogart219
User

Aug 4, 2009, 10:47 AM

Post #16 of 141 (12627 views)
Shortcut

Yeah, Good thinking never thought of that, I'll attach wires to the bottom of the board and bring them out to where I can get to them once I reinstall the board. I'm doing this on the hyperboard I just had repaired.
Jts, also could you point out a good hot and cold ground test point. Thanks will get back with you later!

jts1957
Veteran

Aug 4, 2009, 12:24 PM

Post #17 of 141 (12624 views)
Shortcut

Unless you're thinking about doing something stupid (stay out of the power supply, for now) (no offense, but you about due again) just reference cold ground for now (Tuner shield, etc.).

bogart219
User

Aug 4, 2009, 9:13 PM

Post #18 of 141 (12619 views)
Shortcut

HaHa, You know me pretty good by nowWink
Will report back my findings!

bogart219
User

Aug 4, 2009, 11:10 PM

Post #19 of 141 (12614 views)
Shortcut

JTS, here is the latest. Tack soldered wires from underneath of signal board to numbered pins on hyperboard. Brought wires out from under set so I could test. With set off, black lead to shield on a module. Ohm readings: Pin 16=470 ohm 17=474 ohm 19 & 20=108 ohm 22=open 24=1.5megaohms 25=open.

While there plugged set in and I took voltage readings. Using same gound point. Pin 16=0 volts 17= 4.99 volts 19&20= 3.3 volts
22 = 8.7 volts 24 & 25 = 4 volts. DC voltage.

Does this tell you anything?

jts1957
Veteran

Aug 4, 2009, 11:36 PM

Post #20 of 141 (12613 views)
Shortcut

Pin 16 & Pin 17 should be SAME point (5V). I'm presuming "You're mistaken."Wink
What it tells me is that power sources ARE present to Hyper board.

So, to recap: We currently have No Picture, No Sound and the power light stays on steady for approx. 15 minutes?
What about high voltage, & filaments?

(This post was edited by jts1957 on Aug 4, 2009, 11:46 PM)

bogart219
User

Aug 5, 2009, 1:56 AM

Post #21 of 141 (12607 views)
Shortcut

I'll double check those pins 16 & 17

"So, to recap: We currently have No Picture, No Sound and the power light stays on steady for approx. 15 minutes? "

This is correct.

"What about high voltage, & filaments?"

I don't notice any high voltage or any lights on at the picture tubes.

jts1957
Veteran

Aug 5, 2009, 2:15 AM

Post #22 of 141 (12605 views)
Shortcut

Q404 2SC5859 H. Output Collector = ~122VDC?
Q401 2SK941 H. Drive Drain = ~16VDC?

bogart219
User

Aug 5, 2009, 12:41 PM

Post #23 of 141 (12598 views)
Shortcut

Hey JTS, I found those two transistors on the drawing and will check out. To clarify, Should I still use a "cold" ground? If you want me to use a "hot" ground can you point a good spot out? Looking at the drawing, I should read 16vdc to the gate of q401 which is feeding a transformer. From the trans. I should then read 122vdc to the base of q404. Am I understanding this correctly?
Also, how did you know what those voltages are supposed to be? Thanks!

jts1957
Veteran

Aug 5, 2009, 2:46 PM

Post #24 of 141 (12595 views)
Shortcut

Cold ground (Emitter Q404). Page 90. Blue line represents signal flow/drive path. DRAIN of Q401!

Also, how did you know what those voltages are supposed to be?

I'm clairvoyant, it just "pops into my head."
Pin #2 T461 = "122"
Pin #5/6 of BB21 = "16V"

bogart219
User

Aug 6, 2009, 6:47 PM

Post #25 of 141 (12588 views)
Shortcut

Yellow JT,

Using the emitter pin of Q404 as cold ground(black meter
lead).

Turn set on. Voltage at Drain pin on Q401 = 8.45 VDC.

Voltage at collector pin of Q404 = Voltage jumps all over the place (on DC scale), couldn't read it.

What do you think?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.20 s on (CGI/1.1)