Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: Projection TV Forum:
Zenith E44W46LCD Blue Screen Problem

jiggernaut
New User

Aug 21, 2007, 3:07 PM

Post #1 of 22 (7059 views)
Shortcut
Zenith E44W46LCD Blue Screen Problem Can't Post

I am new to the board and this is my first post. I own the above mentioned set and it has developed the dreaded blue area on the screen that indicates an overheated light engine. Does anyone have a "fix" for this other than replacing the light engine which is cost prohibitive? The set is out of warranty, but I hate to throw it away. LG Electronics is saying they have an extended warranty available for free, but I need to send them a purchase receipt, and I may have trouble finding it after a recent move. Any suggestions? If I were able to locate a reasonably price replacement light engine, would it be difficult to install? Has anyone done the lens shimming thing and how well did it work?

(This post was edited by jiggernaut on Aug 21, 2007, 3:10 PM)

mikemaiertv
Enthusiast

Aug 22, 2007, 9:34 PM

Post #2 of 22 (7042 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jiggernaut] Zenith E44W46LCD Blue Screen Problem [In reply to] Can't Post

Wrote this a few years ago:::::
Got bad news, if you have been following this and I havent read all the post but if youre here because of the blue line on the bottom We now have a fix. All most all the repairs have been to change the light engine, thats a little spendy and some times this part is not avalible. Well with a few dozen of these complaints we finaly tore the guts out of one to find out why this happens, all we could find was the plastic on the engine distorts and changes the optics, This is not a simple fix and is quite involved but the basics go like this, Gut the entire front leaving the engine in the chassis, remove the LCD controler board leaving all but the LCD ribbons attached and move this to the left side. there are now two lenses, one with small shims on the left and one with big shims on the right rear.

Loosen the screws and break them free

Now the big one usaley has to go up a hair, and the little one down.

You will have to take the button assembly,and the interface board out of the front and hook all this up just to turn the unit on, once you get that far make sure all plugs are in and then turn the unit on.

Since none of the lcd's are hooked up you should have a white display, we simply stood the front screen verticaly along the left side so we could see what was going on, now you can shimm the lens's up or down to produce the best totaly white screen as possible. You may have to build some shims for the big lens, but on occasion the ones removed from the little almost get the job done.

As you can tell from all that this aint no simple thing to do, but when out of warrentee and no parts avalible you do what you can. Also keep in mind Zeinth just hates you screwing with there light engines and will void any warentees real fast.

Now all you have to do it put it all back together Also when we do this we notice some discoloration but discovered this all comes from the fact that all the shields are removed and the light box is reflecting it back, finding the best overall white works best.

First time we attepted this it took hours, no wwe got this down to 45 minutes. just go slow and dont rip any ribbons
Mike Owens Lead tech Maier TV Spokane Wa
Mike Owens Owner Competition TV Spokane WA.

jiggernaut
New User

Aug 23, 2007, 9:09 PM

Post #3 of 22 (7031 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mikemaiertv] Zenith E44W46LCD Blue Screen Problem [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow. That sounds a little involved. I wonder if I talk to a local tech, if they might be willing to try it for me?

ghitch75
New User

Aug 28, 2007, 7:56 PM

Post #4 of 22 (7011 views)
Shortcut

i called a local tech and tech said it would be a $1000.00 to fix mine.....with that will mikemaiertv's fix the blue kind of purple shadow thats in the middle right of the screen? <br>

(This post was edited by ghitch75 on Aug 28, 2007, 7:57 PM)

mikemaiertv
Enthusiast

Aug 28, 2007, 8:29 PM

Post #5 of 22 (7007 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ghitch75] Zenith E44W46LCD Blue Screen Problem [In reply to] Can't Post

Thats exactly what this fix do, most guys , me included used to just change that spendy $1000.00 light engine to cure the blue line, but once these little jewels started to fall out of warenty we had to come up with a fix than replace. Like I state it is a little involved but just did one Monday in under 25 minutes
Mike Owens Owner Competition TV Spokane WA.

jiggernaut
New User

Aug 28, 2007, 10:12 PM

Post #6 of 22 (7003 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mikemaiertv] Zenith E44W46LCD Blue Screen Problem [In reply to] Can't Post

Mike,
I just dropped the set off at local certified TV repair shop. I gave them the a copy of your post and they said they are willing to take it on and just charge for their shop labor to try and make the repair. If they run into trouble, do you have a problem if they get in contact with you? Hopefully, it will work and it won't be necessary.
Additionally, I found a place that is selling light engines for this set for $399 w/a 6 month warranty. Anyplace else I checked, they were $800 or more. Here is a link to the place. Any ideas as to whether this place is OK and would that be an option if the repair is unsuccessful?
http://www.tristatemodule.com/html/3141.html

ghitch75
New User

Aug 29, 2007, 12:16 AM

Post #7 of 22 (6998 views)
Shortcut

jiggernaut thanks for the link...i was in mine today(TV) but i guess i don't get mike's instructions very well??....hate to sound like a broken record....but mine has like a purple blob in the middle right hand side of the screen looks like a cloud not a line for say....is this the same fix?

jiggernaut
New User

Aug 29, 2007, 12:20 PM

Post #8 of 22 (6992 views)
Shortcut

That is more like the problem I am having. I have a bluish blob in the middle lower area of the screen that covers about a total of about 25% of the surface area of the screen. I will post a pic in a little bit when I get time. Hopefully the blue line fix can be applied to this problem as well.

ghitch75
New User

Aug 29, 2007, 12:49 PM

Post #9 of 22 (6988 views)
Shortcut

yours look like this?

http://server7.pictiger.com/img/563572/movies-and-television/s-3010003--small--.php

(This post was edited by ghitch75 on Aug 29, 2007, 1:38 PM)

jiggernaut
New User

Aug 29, 2007, 1:34 PM

Post #10 of 22 (6984 views)
Shortcut

Actually, it looks like this:
http://im1.shutterfly.com/...000026108ActXLhozbth
I gotta look at your pic again. I had a hard time picking out the bad spot....
Ok, I looked at it again and I can see you have that blue purplish area to the right, so they are somewhat similar.

(This post was edited by jiggernaut on Aug 29, 2007, 1:37 PM)

ghitch75
New User

Aug 29, 2007, 1:36 PM

Post #11 of 22 (6981 views)
Shortcut

boy yours is worst than mine

yep i can't stand it watchin' HD

(This post was edited by ghitch75 on Aug 29, 2007, 1:39 PM)

jiggernaut
New User

Aug 29, 2007, 1:42 PM

Post #12 of 22 (6976 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
boy yours is worst than mine

Yeah, it started out kinda like yours and then got worse. I understand now that it's something overheating and causing the lenses in the light engine to move and distort a little. Also, I understand you should be cleaning that filter in the back religiously to keep it from happening again. The tech at my local shop said he was hopeful he could do the lens fix for $200 or less. If it doesn't work, I may have to do the light engine R & R.
Also of note, I called LG customer service and they said if I had a receipt of purchase, (which was lost in a move) that they would pay to have the repairs made even if it's out of warranty. If you have your receipt, give LG customer service a call and I bet they will take care of it. I might call them again and beg, but it will probably do no good.

ghitch75
New User

Aug 29, 2007, 1:50 PM

Post #13 of 22 (6973 views)
Shortcut

i'm in the same boat.....got the tv from my mother(who passed away) and she wasn't very good at keepin' track of stuff and the receipt is no where yo be found...i sent LG a email and them said the same thing....so i'm going to beg first then try mikes thing it thats the cure...then if not light engine here i come!

ghitch75
New User

Aug 29, 2007, 2:25 PM

Post #14 of 22 (6969 views)
Shortcut

jiggernaut i just got off the phone with LG and the woman i talked to seem to think the receipt was no big deal....there going to call me back and setup and appointment to get it fixed...so i say give them a call and give it a try 800-243-0000....i'll let you know what i here

jiggernaut
New User

Aug 29, 2007, 6:26 PM

Post #15 of 22 (6963 views)
Shortcut

I went ahead and called them and they said that they would go ahead and make the repair at their cost without a receipt. She said they were sending me a certified letter to sign and return and they would authorize a local repair shop to perform the work. She did say, though, that it would be very beneficial to find the receipt if it all possible, maybe even check with the place where it was bought and they would possibly be able to pull it up on their computer. She said that if at some point, the set was deemed un repairable, the receipt could get that set replaced, otherwise you might be stuck at that point. At the very least, though, even if it's to replace the light engine, they will make the repair at their cost. This, so far, is great news. I have a local shop that's on her list so I will keep you posted on what happens.
It's becoming very obvious how rampant of a problem this must have been for them on this particular set. Kudos to their customer service if they are taking care of everyone, no questions asked.Smile

ghitch75
New User

Aug 29, 2007, 6:31 PM

Post #16 of 22 (6960 views)
Shortcut

great news...hope they keep up with there end and will get our stuff fixedSmileSmile

jiggernaut
New User

Sep 13, 2007, 1:19 PM

Post #17 of 22 (6879 views)
Shortcut

Just talked to LG and they have faxed authorization and an extended warranty to my local authorized repair shop and the repairs are to be made in the next week or so. One thing I am trying to research now is what would happen if the same problem occurs again. I'm curious if their replacement light engines have been modified whereas this problem won't be likely to occur again. At least it's gonna get fixed and not a moment too soon as football is upon us!Sly

ghitch75
New User

Sep 13, 2007, 2:53 PM

Post #18 of 22 (6877 views)
Shortcut

i just got a call from LG too....they have got with my repair shop to and there are suppose to call in a couple of days to fix it....as far as the fix lasting i don't know...but i know when i get mine back i'm going to and an extra fan on the vent for the bulb to suck the hot air away from the set to keep it cooler and the intake air will still be filtered by the filter......i'll post more after fix

kojieson
New User

Sep 19, 2007, 9:08 PM

Post #19 of 22 (6840 views)
Shortcut

I purchased my E44W46LCD in August 2004. 8 months later it developed the good old top and bottom horizontal stripes. The light engine was replaced in June 2005. Fast forward 2 years later and bam....suddenly the famous blue blob appeared a week or so ago. There are also some golf/tennis ball sized green spots on the screen aside from the blue blob. I knew it was only a matter of time before this TV failed again. We all know that the light engine replacement is only temporary since they are replacing a piece of crap defective part with another pieace of crap defective part. Maybe mine didn't fail for over 2 years this time around because I was way more diligent in cleaning the infamous filter at the back of the TV. Tell me that whole filter issue isn't a bunch of crap! Who has ever had to clean a filter on a TV before or else it will fail?
Having said that the real purpose of this post is to get help from anyone who has had to replace their light engines multiple times when their warranty was expired. Also has anyone had any luck getting money back and sending this heap of junk back to LG/Zenith after owning it for a couple years? Does anyone have any further information on any class action suits against LG/Zenith regarding this TV? Something definetly needs to be done to resolve this problem. Too many of us have issues or had issues with this TV to ignore or sweep under the rug. Thanks in advance for any tips or information.

ghitch75
New User

Sep 20, 2007, 11:55 AM

Post #20 of 22 (6828 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kojieson] Zenith E44W46LCD Blue Screen Problem [In reply to] Can't Post

they came and got mine on monday....when i get it back i'm going to mount a fan on the vent for the bulb to suck the hot air out of it and the air coming in will still run through the filter...i'm hoping this will make the light engine last a little longer...i'll post some pic's of the setup..

Indy-tv
New User

Sep 25, 2007, 1:16 PM

Post #21 of 22 (6798 views)
Shortcut

I have the same problem with my TV at 3 years old. Unsure I called LG and was told that there were no recalls or extended warranties offered on this TV. What type of information are you giving to the LG representative to convince them that this should be serviced under the extended warranty that you mentioned?

ghitch75
New User

Oct 4, 2007, 7:45 PM

Post #22 of 22 (6758 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Indy-tv] Zenith E44W46LCD Blue Screen Problem [In reply to] Can't Post

finally got mine back today !!!!

man it's like a new picture..they put in a new light engine and bulb!!!....haven't have time to build the box for the fan for cooling so i just have it setting back there for now....i'll post pic's when it's done

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.19 s on (CGI/1.1)