Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: Projection TV Forum:
Zenith E44W46LCD PROBLEMS

pvn100
New User

Mar 26, 2005, 11:07 PM

Post #1 of 9 (12831 views)
Shortcut
Zenith E44W46LCD PROBLEMS Can't Post

I realize that the 44" Zenith LCD has it's own large posting regarding the pro's and con's of this set that was being sold at Best Buy. I tried to reply but for some reason I was not able to, so I figured i would start a new thread. Sadly, it's not a positive one.

I was one of the original posters of the first thread. I weighed heavily on the information I read by others, and finally choose this model over a Samsung and a Sony.

I've had the Zenith for about seven months now, and like the last two posters in the original thread, am having a problem with a blue line across the bottom of my screen. Now, after reading this board, I'm being made aware that this is a $1700 problem. I am still within the warranty, however that dosent make me feel much better.

Unlike a lot of you, I payed full price when this model had just come out ($2500). Now, I'm dealing with this GARBAGE. Of course, Zenith refered me to a "local authorized repair center." My local TV repair shop basically told me to get lost after he found that it was still under warranty, because "he has his own customers to take care of" (referring to the fact that I bought my television from Best Buy, not him).

I'm going to continue talking with other repair centers. In the meantime, I dont know what I'll do. Bitch at Zenith, bitch at Best Buy, maybe. What a $2500 mistake.

Pete

vlad
New User

Mar 28, 2005, 5:36 PM

Post #2 of 9 (12795 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pvn100] Zenith E44W46LCD PROBLEMS [In reply to] Can't Post

That sucks. I live in NYC and in an older buliding which is the most dusty thing ever. I dont know what it is about where we live that causes so much dust. Anyway, I've been having the green spot problem, been dealing with repair people since january, I even emailed the freaking CEO of BestBuy after one of these local service guys freaked out and started cussing at me for me complaining that their service guy finally came out to fix it only to show up at my front door and tell me, "uhh, sorry I didn't realize I'd need my tools and I dont have them with me"

What the F#*$*CK kind of repairperson doens't have tools with them at all time? Did you think you were gonna wave your hand and use the Force to fix it? anyway, I'm starting to see other fainter green spots showing up, if anyone has info on how to fix these yourself, I'd TOTALLY appreciate it.
thanks

Klein
New User

Apr 12, 2005, 6:18 AM

Post #3 of 9 (12726 views)
Shortcut

First of all, its not Best Buy's fault that you chose a Zenith TV. They offer a in home service plan so that you avoid these problems.

Zenith has a serious problem if they are referring you to a place that says get lost. Thats a giant problem.

The best solution I can come up with is what I did when I needed convergence on my big screen. Call the 1-888-Best-Buy # for a tech that won't say "get lost." I wish you luck.

Remember manufacturers warranties used to be a minimum of 5 years, nowadays you see warranties on big name products and big dollar items for not more than a year. WHY? Because they don't build them like they used to, and there is no way to guarantee that it will last 20 years like the older CRT tube tvs. Again... Good LUCK!

-Klein

------------------------------------------
"When you go in for a job interview, I think a good thing to ask is if they ever press charges."
-Jack Handey

Brad1955
New User

Apr 14, 2005, 8:16 PM

Post #4 of 9 (12712 views)
Shortcut

I posted in an earlier thread about this TV. I bought it in September 2004. I had the same problem with the blue band at the bottom of the screen that showed up suddenly in late March. The repairmen came out and diagnosed it just as was previously described. It was a problem with the light engine and outside the warranty it would cost almost what I paid for the TV to get it fixed. They came out yesterday and fixed it. Looked like they pretty much replaced the entire inside electronics. The good news ---> my TV now looks as good as when I bought it. THe bad news ---> my one-year warranty will expire in September. I will definitely be creating a fuss with LG(Zenith) and Best Buy if this happens again.

djhorv
New User

Apr 25, 2005, 1:30 AM

Post #5 of 9 (12590 views)
Shortcut

I've had the Zenith for about seven months now, and like the last two posters in the original thread, am having a problem with a blue line across the bottom of my screen. Now, after reading this board, I'm being made aware that this is a $1700 problem. I am still within the warranty, however that dosent make me feel much better.

I just noticed this problem last week. Strangely enough I bought it about 7 months ago as well.

Fortunately I bought the extended service plan from Best Buy that includes in home service so I should be OK (right?), but it does seem a little too conincidental.

I will provide updates as this thing progresses.

David

djhorv
New User

Jun 9, 2005, 2:01 AM

Post #6 of 9 (11836 views)
Shortcut
Re: [djhorv] Zenith E44W46LCD PROBLEMS [In reply to] Can't Post

In case anyone is still looking at this thread. Things are not going well with BB in home support. They have been out twice and still are not really sure what is wrong. They want to replace the "video processing board" but they have not called back to set up a new appointment yet.

My wife is going to call tomorrow and try to go up the chain and get to someone who can authorize a new set if they come out again and leave without it being fixed.

The good news is that the blue line does not seem to be growing...

I will keep you all updated.

David

djhorv
New User

Jun 13, 2005, 9:08 PM

Post #7 of 9 (11745 views)
Shortcut

Well it is fixed. Replaced the "Engine Assembly" ($1300).

It took three hours and the labor charges where $150.

Fortunately my cost was zero due to BB in home service plan.

TV seems to be as good as new.

David

goblue83
New User

Jun 14, 2005, 5:39 PM

Post #8 of 9 (11727 views)
Shortcut

Good to hear they fixed it, I will be calling BB today. I never buy extended warrenties, I guess I am glad I did this time. I still have a couple months on 1yr, but if this is a yearly problem, that 3 yr warrenty may come in handy Pirate

jjeffreys
New User

Jun 26, 2005, 3:08 PM

Post #9 of 9 (11552 views)
Shortcut

I bought the E44W46LCD Septmeber 2004. Just yesterday started noticing the blue line. After reading numerous posts I'm starting to get a sinking feeling that I've just wasted $2500. I did not buy the BB service warranty since I think that most extended warranties are a scam. I guess I took a gamble. The "good" news is that it's under the original warranty and I can start the hassle of getting it fixed. The bad news is that there's no guarantee that when they "fix" it it won't be happening again in 9 months. I read on one of the other threads that the part that is replaced does not get another 1 yr. warranty. Does anyone know if I can still purchase BB extended warranty? I've gotten extended warranties on other appliances after purchase before. I guess I'll try calling them today or monday. Unsure Jennifer

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.16 s on (CGI/1.1)