Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: Projection TV Forum:
akai pt4298hd projection with red and blue lines

dandvd27
New User

Jan 4, 2006, 4:34 PM

Post #1 of 6 (6107 views)
Shortcut
akai pt4298hd projection with red and blue lines Can't Post

I have a 42 inch projection that has of course just went out of warranty. It has blue lines at the top and red lines at the bottom horizontially across the picture. It happens in all inputs and they are horizontal across the screen. Akai says its the convergence board and I have to pay. Having looked on the internet extensively I have found a lot of problems with Samsung/Akai in various sizes but all having convergence issues. Is mine a convergence problem and what can I do about it if at all?

(This post was edited by dandvd27 on Feb 2, 2006, 4:14 PM)

mheim1
New User

Jan 8, 2006, 5:48 PM

Post #2 of 6 (6084 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dandvd27] akai pt4298hd projection with red and blue lines [In reply to] Can't Post

Dan,

this sounds like the same problem I had.

Check out the 'Samsung Convergence problem' post (as the Akai PT4298 is the same as Samsung HCM 4216). I just replaced the board (BP94-00383A) on my Akai and it works just fine again.

Mike.

tfbaud
New User

Jan 22, 2006, 1:56 AM

Post #3 of 6 (6043 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mheim1] akai pt4298hd projection with red and blue lines [In reply to] Can't Post

I've had an Akai PT4298HD for about 2.5 years now. A little over a year ago the picture went black. Sent it in for service (about $320) and had the convergence board replaced. I now have black screen back. Right before it went out the picture changed to mostly blue with picture distortion. There were also thin lines running across the screen. The lines weren't straight. It then popped and the screen went black. So I pulled the back off of the unit and turned the set on. I noticed one of the components on the board attached to the blue gun appeared to arc. If it wasn't arc'ing, it was getting too much juice or something else to make it turn white. I would sure appreciate any thoughts. $1000 for the set, $320 in repairs to date..... not sure I want to go any further down this path. Also, how hard was it to replace the convergence board? and where did you get it? Thanks.

dandvd27
New User

Jan 23, 2006, 4:14 PM

Post #4 of 6 (6038 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mheim1] akai pt4298hd projection with red and blue lines [In reply to] Can't Post

Mike,

I have been out with a computer problem, thanks for your post. Can you give me any more details on what I will need to do inside the unit? Also is their any way to verify the board is out or do I just have to take a chance? Is there a manual available online for this unit? I have seen others listed but not the Akai.

Thanks,

Danny

mheim1
New User

Jan 24, 2006, 3:52 AM

Post #5 of 6 (6030 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dandvd27] akai pt4298hd projection with red and blue lines [In reply to] Can't Post

Danny,

inside the TV you have to unscrew the board (one screw) and unclip all the connections; I believe there were 4 or 5. Some wires are already attached to the new board; so I just did one at a time (unplugg from old board, connect onto new board or unplug old wire, plugg in new wire).

I just took a chance with a new board (cost me less or the same than have a repair guy check it), but I'm sure there is a way to measure those IC's; I believe I saw something in the Samsung post which described unplugging something else and look at the result.

I was looking around for a repairmanual and could not find one (quit looking after I fixed it), but I am sure if you get one for a Samsung HCM 4216 it will be identical; try servicemanuals.net.

As far as the arc'ing goes: I have no idea. I got my board from partstore.com ($87.63 plus S+H +T).

Check out Samsung posts, as those are the same TV's.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Mike.

Cajun
New User

Jan 24, 2006, 4:52 AM

Post #6 of 6 (6029 views)
Shortcut

www.vancebaldwin.com sells this board for $70.10 + $7.56 S/H. My Samsung HCN4226W had similar problem and changing board corrected the problem with the set not coming on, but now the picture has a vertical line in the center of the screen. It doesn't go from top to bottom, just about halfway. It appears red most of the time, but it depends on the picture color being displayed at the moment. I have the service manual but haven't figured out how to adjust the convergence. Also, when I do a Perfect Focus, I get a error message "Check factory data".

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.15 s on (CGI/1.1)