Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
*** HDTV Antenna - No Signal on HDTV? ***

SmokinBarrel
New User

Sep 1, 2009, 2:47 PM

Post #1 of 15 (6479 views)
Shortcut
*** HDTV Antenna - No Signal on HDTV? *** Can't Post

I looked at the different forums, and didn't know which to post this question or problem under, so I apologize in advance if this is the wrong thread.

The problem.... I purchased an HDTV Antenna off e-bay and am having a problem receiving a signal. I cancelled my DirectV subscription to save money, and I am utilizing the existing cable I used for my DirectV for the HDTV antenna. I installed the Antenna (pointing south), and ran the wire that came with the Antenna to a small booster, which is plugged into the wall w/ adapter for power.

1. Apparently the cable that came with the antenna allows "electric", or power to pass threw the cable. It doesn't look any different that Cat 5, or satellite cable?

2. I am positive the setup is working properly from the Antenna to the booster. But from the booster to the HDTV I am using regular cable, or what I used for Satellite....approx. running 100'. I get no signal.

Do I need to use that special cable from the booster to the TVs? Someone told me that the regular satellite cable doesn't allow an electric charge (reverse charge), so it won't work? &lt;br&gt; <br>

(This post was edited by SmokinBarrel on Sep 1, 2009, 3:09 PM)

techchris
Veteran

Sep 1, 2009, 3:59 PM

Post #2 of 15 (6473 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SmokinBarrel] *** HDTV Antenna - No Signal on HDTV? *** [In reply to] Can't Post

satellite cable is used to supply 5volts to the LNB on the dish so its ok. do you have no signal at all analogue or digital? try a portable tv onto the end of the cable from the antenna.if it works ok then the problem is the booster or the 100' of cable

SmokinBarrel
New User

Sep 1, 2009, 4:27 PM

Post #3 of 15 (6472 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SmokinBarrel] *** HDTV Antenna - No Signal on HDTV? *** [In reply to] Can't Post

If it's the 100', what can I get to boost the signal? I don't want to remount my antenna, as it is on the side of the garage, a great spot.

shadetree
Veteran

Sep 1, 2009, 7:19 PM

Post #4 of 15 (6471 views)
Shortcut

if it's one of the small antennas that they sell on ebay unless you are close to the tv stations it's likely you are not getting any signal with hd it's either good signal or none

jts1957
Veteran

Sep 1, 2009, 9:39 PM

Post #5 of 15 (6466 views)
Shortcut

I cancelled my DirectV subscription to save money, and I am utilizing the existing cable I used for my DirectV for the HDTV antenna.

Your using a fleabay antenna with the Directv "wire."
!) Presume "South" is where all the terrestrial transmitters are?;
2) You're NOT still tring to use their box?
3) Booster for Satellite or terrestrial frequencies?

I am positive the setup is working properly from the Antenna to the booster.

4) try connect a small TV here. How's signal?

-------------------------

SmokinBarrel
New User

Sep 9, 2009, 2:11 PM

Post #6 of 15 (6449 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] *** HDTV Antenna - No Signal on HDTV? *** [In reply to] Can't Post

Okay, I was able to hook up a small TV and test the system.... I used the HD converter and Small TV and did not receive a signal. Sooo, I am thinking about buying another antenna from Radio Shack versus the internet (ebay). What a joke.... I know people have had good luck with this antenna on ebay, but I am not sure what the problem is. Obviously, it doesn't like regular Cable Wire (satellite cable). Or, the distance is an issue.

So, rather than dinker around with it any longer, I have decided to buy another antenna. Any suggestions on what I should get? Please remember: 1. I have 100' for the signal to travel
2. I will be splitting the signal for two TV's. (I have one HDTV, and one older TV w/ HD converter box)
3. The guy at radio shack (RS) said I should be able to hook up RS's antenna and it should work at 100' run.

Note:
I look at the TV color code sheet, and "Yellow uhf" is what I am most interested in receiving. BUT, I noticed that "Amplified" antenna's are not recommended for "Yellow" color codes? But also, if you plan to run longer than 20' w/ cable an amplified antenna is recommended. Ugh!

(This post was edited by SmokinBarrel on Sep 9, 2009, 2:25 PM)

jts1957
Veteran

Sep 9, 2009, 2:27 PM

Post #7 of 15 (6445 views)
Shortcut

But still I don't think you've mentioned how far away the stations you wish to receive are located and if they are ALL located within a 10 degree arc (+/- 5 degrees of where antenna boom will be pointing).

Seems someone was editing while I was composing!
So you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

(This post was edited by jts1957 on Sep 9, 2009, 2:31 PM)

SmokinBarrel
New User

Sep 9, 2009, 3:29 PM

Post #8 of 15 (6438 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] *** HDTV Antenna - No Signal on HDTV? *** [In reply to] Can't Post

lol. You are right, damned if I do or don't. Anyway here are the locations of the channels - spread.... (see attached)

I guess I cannot attach a file....so here it is....

All fall under 170 - 277 degree range

jts1957
Veteran

Sep 9, 2009, 3:45 PM

Post #9 of 15 (6436 views)
Shortcut

If I remember my compass bearings correctly you're asking for an antenna that can receive stations from more-or-less due West to more-or-less due South. Not gonna happen! NOT without moving it. Spitting the difference and pointing an antenna SW still gives a 45 degree swing on either side of the center point.
The second part of my question was how far away is the furthest station?Frown
(Here in west suburb of Chicago were talking about 24 miles.)

(This post was edited by jts1957 on Sep 9, 2009, 3:47 PM)

SmokinBarrel
New User

Sep 9, 2009, 4:55 PM

Post #10 of 15 (6431 views)
Shortcut

Miles range from 1 - 12 miles.

That maybe the reason my neighbor has two antennas mounted on top of his house. lol.

Paulpablo
Enthusiast

Sep 10, 2009, 12:48 AM

Post #11 of 15 (6426 views)
Shortcut

You can use an Antenna Direct 8 bay antenna with a pre-amp attached and your problem will be solved! You can buy a cheapie piece of 1 inch and a quarter inch of plastic pipe, you may have to buy 2 -10 ft. pieces and mount your antenna as it has a 70 degree range!

jts1957
Veteran

Sep 10, 2009, 3:07 AM

Post #12 of 15 (6423 views)
Shortcut

Every antenna has a reception pattern that usually looks like a "drip" of water (or tear drop). The point of the tear drop is YOU, and then widens out to a certain point and then rolls back to form the bottom of the "drop."
If ALL the stations that you want to receive happen to fall inside that pattern, you should receive them. If ANY fall outside that pattern, you won't receive them.
Your neighbor probably has the right idea. If his antennas are pointing SSW & WSW that's exactly what he's doing.

SmokinBarrel
New User

Sep 10, 2009, 4:01 PM

Post #13 of 15 (6414 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Paulpablo] *** HDTV Antenna - No Signal on HDTV? *** [In reply to] Can't Post

If I use an Antenna Direct 8 w/ pre-amp.......

Do I need to run RG6 versus RG5 from outside to inside? I haven't verified, but I believe I currently have RG5 running from outside to inside. Although DirectV installed a cable from outside to inside, so it maybe RG6. I'll need to verify.

Paulpablo
Enthusiast

Sep 10, 2009, 10:13 PM

Post #14 of 15 (6409 views)
Shortcut

You need to use RG-6!

shadetree
Veteran

Sep 10, 2009, 11:47 PM

Post #15 of 15 (6405 views)
Shortcut

if you are only 1-12 miles from the stations rabbit ears should do

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.22 s on (CGI/1.1)