3 blinking lighhts - Samsung DLP 50 inch HL-S5087W

gjohn282
New User

Apr 23, 2013, 8:43 PM

Post #1 of 4 (7125 views)
Shortcut
3 blinking lighhts - Samsung DLP 50 inch HL-S5087W Can't Post

Thanks for anyone who can help!
I am the original owner of a Samsung DLP 50 inch HL-S5087W. This week the TV will only power on for about 30 seconds at a time. It then powers down and the 3 front LED lights blink. While it's running the picture looks great and normal. No strange noises of any kind. I've pulled out the lamp it it looks great and fires up just fine (for 30 seconds). The fan turns on, and the color wheel appears to be working normally.
I've tried:
•Making sure the lamp was fully connected
•Making sure the lamp service panel was fully closed and the TV was sensing that the panel was closed.
•Trying different power outlets, and unplugging all input cables (even though this shouldn't be an issue logically)
•Activating the service menu (mute+1+8+2+power) and resetting to the factory defaults, and resetting the lamp life timer - it's like playing mission impossible to play with the service menu because I only have a breif amount of time before the TV turns off
•Googling the hell out of this issue and reviewing other posts, which led me here.
•Contacting Samsung customer support, online chat.
I see from other posts online that this is a farily common issue...but I've yet to find a post confirming a resolution. The Samsung owners manual, and the customer support chat conversation I had today (below) recommends replaccing the lamp. Before I drop $100 on a new lamp I wanted to get some opinions here. Other posts have said they have replaced the lamp, but the issue persists. What other troubleshooting steps can I perform to determine the exact cause? Am I right to believe that it's not the lamp since it is firing up and the display looks normal for the breif time that it's on? My best guess is the ballast, but before I drop money on that what can I test? Much thanks!

----My chat with Samsung support (pretty lame help)----
Please wait for a Samsung Agent to respond.
You are now chatting with 'Sally H'. There will be a brief survey at the end of our chat to share feedback on my performance today.
Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK56402821303X
Sally H: Hi, thanks for reaching out to Samsung tech support. How can I help you today?
Sally H: We have not heard from you. Do you wish to continue the chat?
Visitor: Hi Sally, yes I'm just typing a question, sorry.
Visitor: One moment
Sally H: Hello, how may I assist you today?
Visitor: Hi Sally, I own a Samsung HL-S5087W, 50 inch DLP TV. I am the original owner, purchase back in 2006. This week the TV started to turn off after only 30 seconds of being on. The picture looks great and TV works perfectly, but only for 30 seconds, and then powers down and all 3 LED lights on the front panel begin to blink. Do you know what could be wrong?
Visitor: I've been researching online, and the answers range from a bad lamp, to bad ballast, to bad color wheel. So I'm not sure.
Sally H: I am sorry to hear that.
Sally H: Are you using any surge protector the power outlet?
Visitor: No, for the TV set it's plugged directly into the outlet. (at the moment)
Visitor: It was plugged into a surge protector though
Sally H: Thank you for confirming.
Sally H: Try to connect the unit directly to the different power outlet and check if the issue persists.
Visitor: I have done that as well, and the issue continues.
Sally H: Thank you for confirming.
Sally H: It appears that the issue is with the lamp in the TV.
Sally H: You may have to replace the lamp since all the lights on the TV are blinking.
Visitor: In my research, I have seen that a lot of owners with the same model have had this issue, and have replaced the lamp too, but the issue persists. So I'm hesitant to purchase a lamp. In my case, the lamp is still firing up for 30 seconds, so I makes me wonder if it's something else.
Sally H: I understand your concern.
Sally H: However the issue is with the lamp, since the lights on the TV blinking represents the failure of the bulb.
Sally H: You need to purchase correct bulb for your model TV.
Visitor: Thank you. Anything else I should do to troubleshoot?
Sally H: You are welcome.
Sally H: Click on the link below for the instructions to troubleshoot the issue:
Sally H: http://support-us.samsung.com/...0107018&from_osc=
Sally H: Are you able to access the link?
Visitor: Yes, it just pulled up
Visitor: Thank you. I'll research a little more and look at getting a new lamp.
-----(end chat)-----

(This post was edited by gjohn282 on Apr 23, 2013, 8:51 PM)

jts1957
Veteran

Apr 24, 2013, 2:15 PM

Post #2 of 4 (7107 views)
Shortcut
Re: [gjohn282] 3 blinking lighhts - Samsung DLP 50 inch HL-S5087W [In reply to] Can't Post

Until you have tried a BRAND NEW lamp (from a reputable source) - there is no other way to prove lamp or not.

-------------------------

gjohn282
New User

May 7, 2013, 12:13 AM

Post #3 of 4 (7042 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] 3 blinking lighhts - Samsung DLP 50 inch HL-S5087W [In reply to] Can't Post

I wanted to post an update to this issue. After much debating with my theory that it wasn't the lamp (since it was still firing up), I went ahead and bought a new lamp (about $150.00). I'm pleased to say that it was the lamp after all! It's been a little over a week and the TV is working great - even like new. I wasn't used to it being so bright and colorful, it's amazing the difference a new lamp can make. I hope this helps anyone else that runs into the same problem as me.

DCDLPTV
New User

Apr 20, 2018, 1:27 AM

Post #4 of 4 (1497 views)
Shortcut
Re: [gjohn282] 3 blinking lighhts - Samsung DLP 50 inch HL-S5087W [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks so much for posting this information! My tv was doing the exact same thing and I too had my reservations about buying another bulb as I felt it couldn't be bad if it was "lighting up".....but low and behold after reading your success, I pulled the trigger on a new bulb and I am happy to say it's working like new again! I had already replaced the fan and the temperature sensor and was about to buy a ballast when I came upon your thread in a search!!
I just have to say "THANKS AGAIN" as reading this gave me the confidence to spend the money on the new bulb!!!! YOU ROCK!Wink

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.20 s on (CGI/1.1)