Free Games TV Forums

Main Index FORUM
HOME
Search Posts SEARCH
IN
Rules & FAQ RULES
F.A.Q.

Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Adjust overscan on older 34" Toshiba CRT? (Solved)

Vers
New User

May 19, 2005, 3:36 AM

Post #1 of 3 (3919 views)
Shortcut
Adjust overscan on older 34" Toshiba CRT? (Solved) Can't Post

Trying to figure out how to adjust the overscan on an older Toshiba model CX34549 34" (84cm) CRT set. The tube has a very good picture for a 15 year old set, tainted with just a bit of faint vertical foldover and some dot crawl. Lots of work has been done inside, looks like most of the caps, vertical IC and jungle IC have been replaced. My concern is that there is a lot of overscan, about 20%.

I have lots of test equipment (scope, pattern gen, DMM, etc) but no schematic. Can do digital electronics in my sleep, but not a lot of TV bench time. The flyback board has the familar screen/focus pots, h. width, side pincushion and an unmarked pot, R450 (appears to be fine vertical height adjust). The CRT board has the blue & green drive, RGB bias and an unmarked three position switch, S201 (possible service mode switch?). The main board has R352 labelled as (vertical) "HEIGHT". This is the coarse vertical height adj, working after replacing a cracked pot. Also a master level adjustment, labelled "SUB BRI" & three unmarked pots near the jungle IC and a few pots on the audio board. Will replace the vertical caps and C301/305/308 in case they are leaky, but don't expect it to change the overscan.

Can't seem to get into an OSD service mode. There is no menu button on the TV & going press mute, press & hold mute, adj. doesn't do anything. The alternate method.. volume to zero, volume down, then "9" gets a "F" symbol in the lower right corner for a few seconds, but no "S" indicator or apparent menu items. Not sure if F might refer to factory (service mode) or perhaps F as in F59 (coax input).

I'm kinda lost here. Does anyone care to guess where I might try adjusting the overscan? Thanks.

(This post was edited by Vers on May 22, 2005, 6:34 AM)

mikemaiertv
Enthusiast

May 19, 2005, 8:20 PM

Post #2 of 3 (3875 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Vers] Adjust overscan on older 34" Toshiba CRT? [In reply to] Can't Post

This si one of the reasons most shops hate working on these old sets, Several capacitors I suspect had dryed out driving voltages all over the chart, stressing componets to the max, then the ovious caps were changed and solder joints repaired but the problem of several other caps are still weak and or resistors have changed in value leads to the problems you describe, 15 year old sets do not have the OSD service menu you look for, and as for over scan this could be anything from the B+ being high, high voltage caps in the horizontal breaking down, a winding in the high voltage transformer shorting, to resistor incresing in value changing several voltages, Question you must ask your self is how much you willing to spend on a 15 year old set. Theres a saying I use to help get people off the fence on this "TV's age just like cat's" you have a 15 year old cat this equates to 105 year old person
Mike Owens Owner Competition TV Spokane WA.

Vers
New User

May 22, 2005, 6:33 AM

Post #3 of 3 (3863 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mikemaiertv] Adjust overscan on older 34" Toshiba CRT? [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the reply Mike. You were /are exactly right. Paying $100+ to have a 15yr old set repaired doesn't make any sense. It didn't even make sense for me to buy the service manual. The only reason I am playing with it at all is that I am doing it myself. As a learning exercise it makes some sense. B+ and marked i.e. silkscreened voltage TPs were all fine.

I started testing capacitor ESRs, then realized that for about $15 in parts, I could just replace all of 15 or so caps in the vertical section. The set now has a great picture, with just a bit of uncorrectable pincushion in the lower RT corner.

C301/C305/C308 were leaky and apparently common problems in older toshiba sets. Reduced some vertical streching to the point that overscan isn't really objectionable anymore. C330 eliminated a faint horizontal band (retrace) near the top of the screen. And the vertical IC will probably outlive the set's remaining lifetime with the new crop of caps.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.20 s on (CGI/1.1)