Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Another flyback question

yesplease
New User

Dec 7, 2005, 3:10 AM

Post #1 of 4 (1155 views)
Shortcut
Another flyback question Can't Post

I picked up an RCA F32649 for free, and when I tried to plug it in, was greeted with a black screen and quite a light show. I opened it up today, and noticed there was a part (Inductor? I dunno, it looks like a stonehenge monument) to the left of the flyback that was touching a couple diodes, or resistors, or whatever they are.
I straightened it out, and the tv turned on. Picture was great and everything seemed good at first. Then it started making clicking sounds, and would arc once every 5-15min...
On the flyback there's are dark spot where I think the flyback arced to something else. Now I'm wondering (Based on this [url=http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/flytest.htm#flywda]site), since there's external arcing, can I just patch up the hole with the epoxy mentioned in the previous posts? Or does the clicking indicate some kind of internal short that requires replacement?

I suppose my question is, do the small clicks w/o visible arcing indicate something is wrong internally, or can they happen externally too?

Thanks a bunch!

rrobor
Veteran

Dec 7, 2005, 8:50 AM

Post #2 of 4 (1145 views)
Shortcut
Re: [yesplease] Another flyback question [In reply to] Can't Post

Its worth a try, my cure is ceramic paint thinners and gutter silicone. Clean the transformer of any trace of burning then get a thin piece of plastic like from an old cassette case, cut a piece and warm it up to get a crude shape of a patch to fit over the transformer hole. Now about the size of the patch wet the transformer with thinners, this will melt the surface, with a screwdriver blade as the thinners dries pull the plastic over to close the hole. After dry, wet it again and also one side of your patch and stick that on wet to wet and hold till dry. you may want a couple of layers of that. after that I form a shape out of a plastic bottle, smear silicone in it and shove it over the faulty side

mikemaiertv
Enthusiast

Dec 10, 2005, 12:09 AM

Post #3 of 4 (1136 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rrobor] Another flyback question [In reply to] Can't Post

Boy that last post will get your house burned down, It's a real bad Idea, either replace the Flyback or up your insurance, the transformer is arching from the inside out, sealing the hole does no good, adding a combustible glue and plastic to it ----------
Mike Owens Owner Competition TV Spokane WA.

yesplease
New User

Dec 23, 2005, 4:23 AM

Post #4 of 4 (1102 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mikemaiertv] Another flyback question [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm patching it with GE Silicone Sealant, which is supposedly odorless, colorless, water resistant, chemical resistant, oxidation resistant, stable at high temperature, and will not conduct electricity. I figure it'll (hopefully) stop the arcing, or it won't (Time to get a new flyback). No burning this house down, even though it's only a rental (nice lease though)...

Thanks for the heads up, btw.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.21 s on (CGI/1.1)