Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Audiovox AVT-975 Problem

Gladiator
New User

Oct 20, 2017, 12:22 AM

Post #1 of 2 (1270 views)
Shortcut
Audiovox AVT-975 Problem Can't Post

Hi, I recently bought back the 1995 Chevy conversion van my late Grandpa owned in the late 90s. The previous owner had the tv sitting in his barn for the past 9 years. It's an Audiovox AVT-975 CRT.

After hooking it up the tv turned on fine. I accidentally killed power to the TV from a switch in the van instead of turning it off, after that it came back on with a blue screen and static horizontal lines, audio still works. Twice after smacking it the picture went back to normal but eventually messed up again also tried pushing the de-gauss button.

I put on a movie and the picture doesn't appear to change at all when it's like that. It looked blue when this first happened a few months ago but now it looks more white, any ideas what to look for?

Could replace it but for nostalgia sake I'd still like to fix it, thanks!

jts1957
Veteran

Oct 20, 2017, 3:56 AM

Post #2 of 2 (1260 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Gladiator] Audiovox AVT-975 Problem [In reply to] Can't Post

I accidentally killed power to the TV from a switch in the van instead of turning it off

A TV, like a lamp, doesn't care whether it is turned off by unplugging it from the AC outlet or by whatever switch was provided by the manufacturer. The lamp also would not care if it were connected to AC or DC, as long as the voltage was within design parameters. A DC operated TV WOULD care if somebody were to try to connect it to AC.

Twice after smacking it the picture went back to normal

Implies that set has a bad or intermittent connection - Dirty A/V or Setup switch (if is a mechanical type), cracked PC Board, foreign metallic material connecting two points that aren't supposed to be connected, or bad solder connection(s) for example.

The general public sees a rotary type adjustment (G2, on the Flyback) and their first instinct is "Let's turn this to see what it does" (should we mark it first so that we can return it to as close as possible to where we found it? ... Naw, you don't think we can remember such a simple little thing) could, in theory, in and of itself, be the cause of the blue/white screen with retrace lines.

-------------------------

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.21 s on (CGI/1.1)