Broken coaxial input HDTV

yeti
New User

Jun 11, 2007, 12:33 AM

Post #1 of 7 (6750 views)
Shortcut
Broken coaxial input HDTV Can't Post

Hi,
I just recently broke the coaxial input on my 32" Phillips 32PT83 HDTV. I was moving the TV and thought my friend removed the cable!
Anyhow I'm pretty sure it's connected to the tuner inside. I was wondering what my options were to salvage the TV. I hear it's rather expensive to have it fixed. I know I can have a cable box hooked up, but really don't want to give my cable company any more $.
I have several connections and ports in the back and on the side. Is there another way of getting cable to the TV? I have a VCR/DVD player.
I'd really appreciate any help or advice you can give me! Thanks a bunch!!
Yeti

rrobor
Veteran

Jun 11, 2007, 8:02 AM

Post #2 of 7 (6740 views)
Shortcut
Re: [yeti] Broken coaxial input HDTV [In reply to] Can't Post

Depends on how much you want to keep your friend. If he is an Iffy friend sure, try some cheap options, He will know and he will go. A good friend, you broke it, fix it, IE how much is a friend worth. I have a few friends who I have had for years, to offer them short change is not an option. Check what is important to you, if that is to short change friends, I pitty you as the years pass.

yeti
New User

Jun 11, 2007, 2:39 PM

Post #3 of 7 (6733 views)
Shortcut

i actually got it setup. i used the dvd, vcr player. the only problem is i have to have the player on. is there another way of hooking it up so i don't have the player on all the time. a direct hookup? i'd really like to use just one remote too!

mel
Veteran

Jun 11, 2007, 6:48 PM

Post #4 of 7 (6726 views)
Shortcut

Actually, it is not that difficult nor expensive to replace the coax fitting into the tuner. Check with your local TV repair shop for an estimate. They may want to replace the tuner but unless it has internal damage, that is not necessary.

HiTech
User

Jun 15, 2007, 2:11 PM

Post #5 of 7 (6706 views)
Shortcut

I have resoldered many a broken off F connector onto tuner modules. The thing is to find a shop that is willing to do that for you. Many just want to remove and replace the tuner, jacking up the repair bill. If things are mashed to the point that a jack won't mechanically attach, let alond solder in place then the alternate option is to have a tech install a coax jack on a length of mini-coax which is then soldered to the tuner's circuit board and metal case. You'd have a "spaghetti" hanging out the back of the set but at least you'd be using the set's tuner again.

yeti
New User

Jun 15, 2007, 4:04 PM

Post #6 of 7 (6703 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HiTech] Broken coaxial input HDTV [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the advice. I talked to a TV repair shop and they intially quoted me $50-80. Does this sound about right?
I'm hoping not to go over $100.
Thanks again!
Yeti

MOtvGuy
User

Jun 16, 2007, 7:24 PM

Post #7 of 7 (6678 views)
Shortcut

They'll probably install an RCA 215543 coax connector on the tuner as a replacement. It's fairly common in the industry. $50-80 is about right for shop labor and the part. The tuner has to come out of the set to replace ihe connector correctly.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.20 s on (CGI/1.1)