Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
CRT Projection TV Tubes

AcidRainLiTE
New User

Dec 23, 2008, 9:13 PM

Post #1 of 2 (831 views)
Shortcut
CRT Projection TV Tubes Can't Post

I decided it was time to throw out my broken CRT projection TV but to make it easier to take down the steps (and so I could salvage some parts) I disassembled it. I now have the 3 CRTs removed.

The main thing I was worried about was the caps. However, I managed to remove them without killing myself. But, after reading online, I found that the phosphors on the screen are toxic. Now, I am wondering, are they only dangerous if you physically touch the screen? Because (after removing the lens that was on top of the CRT screen), I saw that there was a layer of curved glass in front of the CRT screen and it was sealed down by some screws. I tried to remove it and pulled it back slightly (this was before I knew that the phosphors were dangerous). But then I decided I shouldn't be taking it off and stopped trying. Is there anything to be worried about in this case?

Also, how do I dispose of these things? Is there any place I should take them?

Thanks.

rrobor
Veteran

Dec 24, 2008, 11:55 AM

Post #2 of 2 (820 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AcidRainLiTE] CRT Projection TV Tubes [In reply to] Can't Post

Unless you smash the glass you wont come in contact with the phosphur, There are various iffy things in a TV, its best not to break into things but keep tth bits intact.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.25 s on (CGI/1.1)