Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Clicking noise

victanny
New User

Mar 13, 2005, 6:38 PM

Post #1 of 4 (2215 views)
Shortcut
Clicking noise Can't Post

I have an old zenith tv (circa 1991) that had suddenly started this clicking noise when it is turned on. The picture doesn't come on and it just makes this rhythmic clicking noise from inside the tv. Last week I turned it on just to check and it worked fine until yesterday when it started just doing the clicking thing again. Anything I can do? (it is a zenith model# sj2735lk)

I took the back off the tv and it seems the clicking is coming from a little switch that I have a picture of below:

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

mel
Veteran

Mar 14, 2005, 12:25 AM

Post #2 of 4 (2207 views)
Shortcut
Re: [victanny] Clicking noise [In reply to] Can't Post

Your picture did not show up but I suspect that what you hear is the deguasing relay which means that the set is trying to turn on. With a set this old, my first suspect would be either a bad solder joint in the high voltage section or the horizontal output transistor is bad. If the problem is in the power supply itself, you are going to need professional help because the power suppli in this set is so complex that it will take hands on troubleshooting to determine the real cause. Meanwhile, you might want to check out www.FreeFlatScreens.com/?r=10948674 for an opportunity to earn a free replacement for this set with a little effort on your part.

victanny
New User

Mar 14, 2005, 1:45 AM

Post #3 of 4 (2200 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mel] Clicking noise [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the advice,

I was just hoping to see if I could fix this easy because we basically use this older tv for playstation games. Are either of the things you mentioned (the bad solder joint in the high voltage section or the horizontal output transistor) easy to diagnose? Are they simply replaceable? I have worked a lot on computers but tv's are all new to me. My husband says we should just junk it. Please tell me he is wrong!

Thanks, Vic

mel
Veteran

Mar 14, 2005, 10:36 PM

Post #4 of 4 (2192 views)
Shortcut
Re: [victanny] Clicking noise [In reply to] Can't Post

Being a husband myself, it is difficult to be objective here because we are always looking for an excuse to buy a new TV. Having siad that, he is probably right. With a Zenith that old, your problems are probably just starting and your apparent lack of expertise (and equipment?) would probably make it unfeasible for you to affect the repairs yourself. SORRY!

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.20 s on (CGI/1.1)