Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Continue repair, or replace?

ifyoure555
New User

May 6, 2016, 12:50 AM

Post #1 of 2 (956 views)
Shortcut
Continue repair, or replace? Can't Post

Hello. There was a lightning strike here a few days ago that took out 3 TVs and 2 phones. One of those TVs is the LG 42LB6300 LED smart TV. It was unresponsive (would not turn on). There was no standby light.

I don't know much about TV internals, but some online troubleshooting guides pointed me to the power supply board needing replacement. I had 120V in, but no 3.5V standby. It was about $50 shipped so I ordered it.

The board came in today. I replaced it. I now have 120V in and 3.5V standby, but still no standby light and the TV won't turn on.

The main board is closer to $100 shipped used. Should I cut my losses and buy a new TV instead of possibly having $150 into it and it still not working, or should I order the other board? I'm just a bit nervous that I'll have 1/3 the cost of a new TV into it and still have a dead TV.

One other note; the cable box that this TV was attached to no longer has functional HDMI output. I tried it with a working TV and there's no signal. HDMI goes into the main board. That makes me kind of want to continue, in case a surge came through HDMI as well as though the outlet and took out both boards, but I was hoping to get more experienced/educated opinions.

I would appreciate all thoughts and opinions. Thanks for your time.

ifyoure555
New User

May 6, 2016, 1:00 AM

Post #2 of 2 (951 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ifyoure555] Continue repair, or replace? [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe I should also note; the power supply board was from shopjimmy, which seems to be a trusted source. The main board is only available from ebay sellers as salvaged units. I've heard that this is often risky, as sellers don't always truly verify that anything works and then you at least lose shipping both ways and restocking fees.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.20 s on (CGI/1.1)