Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Curtis Mathes

keilola
New User

Apr 2, 2006, 7:08 PM

Post #1 of 5 (3222 views)
Shortcut
Curtis Mathes Can't Post

Hello everyone I am new to this forum. I hope that someone can help me out a little. I have a Curtis Mathes 5240EB TV and I am having some trouble. I was watching the TV the other day and all of a sudden the picture got really bright and then dimmed out to nothing. I still have sound but no picture. If I turn the TV off for a while I can turn it back on and regain the picture for a short time.

I called a repair man and he came to my home free of charge, thankfully, and he told me that there is a short in the sytem somewhere. He didn't tell me where. He called me 2 days later and said that he can order the part and fix it and it would cost me $325. I have been trying to find a service manual for the TV but I really cannot seem to find ANYTHING for this TV online.

Can someone give me some pointers on possibly fixing the TV myself? Can someone help me troubleshoot the TV and help me order the parts on my own and hopefully save some money? Does this sound like a common problem?

I was told that the Curtis Mathes TV is just like that of a Zenith.

Thanks in advance for all your time and help.

tvdude
New User

Apr 4, 2006, 1:37 AM

Post #2 of 5 (3203 views)
Shortcut
Re: [keilola] Curtis Mathes [In reply to] Can't Post

Glenn Waters
New User

Sep 29, 2011, 1:48 AM

Post #3 of 5 (1687 views)
Shortcut
Re: [keilola] Curtis Mathes [In reply to] Can't Post

SmileI know of a site that has a lot of retired Curtis Mathes Repairmen as members, it is the Official Vintage Curtis Mathes site, and is a free to the public site for help in these matters. Membership is free and they love to help people fix their vintage electronics and keep them working. Check it out in the link below: http://curtismathes.webs.com/
The 1960's were good to me.

jts1957
Veteran

Sep 29, 2011, 2:56 AM

Post #4 of 5 (1677 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Glenn Waters] Curtis Mathes [In reply to] Can't Post

5 plus years ago ... in a galaxy far, far away

You forgot to mention his 5240EB. Angelic

You should get the Official Vintage Curtis Mathes people together with the Maytag repairmen.

-------------------------

(This post was edited by jts1957 on Sep 29, 2011, 2:59 AM)

Glenn Waters
New User

Oct 4, 2011, 7:31 PM

Post #5 of 5 (1657 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Curtis Mathes [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
5 plus years ago ... in a galaxy far, far away

You forgot to mention his 5240EB. Angelic

You should get the Official Vintage Curtis Mathes people together with the Maytag repairmen.

SmileThat is right the model is 5240EB and Maytag was a good made in the USA product just like Curtis Mathes was. Just check out Beyond the Sea, by Bobby Darin, Atlantic Records, Written by Trenet & Lawrence, Played on a 1961 Curtis Mathes Stereo, Curtis Mathes Turntable.
http://youtu.be/yKVvCDpJBl4
http://curtismathes.webs.com/
The 1960's were good to me.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.22 s on (CGI/1.1)