Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
DS31650 BLOWN FUSE

BLSWAGGER
New User

May 16, 2005, 11:26 PM

Post #1 of 6 (2283 views)
Shortcut
DS31650 BLOWN FUSE Can't Post

I HAVE A 31" SANYO GIVEN TO ME BY MY GRANDFATHER-IN-LAW. IT QUIT WHILE THEY WERE WATCHING IT. HE REPLACED THE 4AMP POWER FUSE WITH A 5 AMP. HE TURNED IT ON AND IT DID NOT WORK. THEY BOUGHT A NEW ONE, AND I GOT THIS ONE. I TOOK IT APART AND THE FUSE HE REPLACED IS BLOWN, PLUS THE CIRCUIT BOARD IS BLACK AROUND RESISTORS 622 AND 621 AND THE BLOWN FUSE, BUT MAINLY AROUND THE RESISTORS. CAN I REPLACE THESE TWO RESISTORS AND FUSE, OR IS THE BOARD BAD WHERE IT HAS THE DISCOLORATION? IS THE TV SALVAGEABLE TO FIX VERSUS THE COST OF A NEW ONE? CHASSIS NUMBER IS 31650-03

kuhurdler
User

May 17, 2005, 4:07 PM

Post #2 of 6 (2272 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BLSWAGGER] DS31650 BLOWN FUSE [In reply to] Can't Post

please find your caps lock key and use it.

the board should be fine, but you check it with an ohmeter if you have doubts. I would order multiple resistors, theres a chance that something else is causing those resistors to fry. get 4amp fuses.

only you can decide if your time is worth it.

-RiddledTV.com
http://www.riddledtv.com/forums/

(This post was edited by kuhurdler on May 17, 2005, 4:08 PM)

mel
Veteran

May 17, 2005, 10:13 PM

Post #3 of 6 (2262 views)
Shortcut

Discolorization of the PC board around high wattage resistors is normal and should not affect the operation of the set unless the board is actually charred in that area. I would first check for a shorted horizontal output transistor. It is a common problem and an easy fix. NEVER use a fuse that is rated higher than the original. You just create a potential fire hazard.

BLSWAGGER
New User

May 20, 2005, 3:05 AM

Post #4 of 6 (2243 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mel] DS31650 BLOWN FUSE [In reply to] Can't Post

THE AREA IS NOT CHARRED,BUT DISCOLORED. WHERE ON THE BOARD WILL I FIND THE HORIZONTAL OUTPUT TRANSISTOR? WOULD A SCHEMATIC BE HELPFUL OR IS MOST EVERYTHING IDENTIFIED ON THE BOARD? I CONSIDER MYSELF MECHANICALLY INCLINED, BUT I HAVE NEVER HAD A TV APART. IS THIS SOMETHING I SHOULD TACKLE, OR SHOULD I TALK TO MY LOCAL REPAIR SHOP TO SEE IF IT IS WORTH THEM TAKING A LOOK AT THE TV?

mel
Veteran

May 20, 2005, 9:52 PM

Post #5 of 6 (2224 views)
Shortcut

The HOT is a three pronged transistor mounted on a heat sync near the flyback transformer. It is part number 2SD1879 and can be repalced with a generic NTE2331. It should have an out of circuit (unsoldered) front to back resistance ratio between the base and emitter and the base and collector as well as between the collector and emitter. If you measure it in circuit, it will show a short between the base and emitter. If you have a ohmeter and 35 watt soldering iron, it is something that you shoiuld be able to do yourself. If the HOT is not shorted, seek professional help. Good Luck! Incidentally, in case you were not aware, ALL CAPS in computer decorum is the same as shouting. No need to shout here.

BLSWAGGER
New User

May 21, 2005, 2:25 AM

Post #6 of 6 (2220 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mel] DS31650 BLOWN FUSE [In reply to] Can't Post

First off guys, sorry about the caps. As far as the tv, i'll try that this weekend. Can you pick up the transistors at Radio Shack, or it that something i have to order? Also i have another sanyo tv, a 27", that gave us problems up until the other day when it died. I'm at work now and do not have the model number with me. I will post it tomorrow if it is needed. During viewing, usuallly it seemed when the tv was first turned on for about 10, 15 ,or 20 minutes, the picture would tend to go towards the middle of the screen with a bold line down the center causing the picture to distort. It would correct itself then within a couple of minutes do it again. It might do it once or maybe 3 or 4 times. On some occasions instead of correcting itself it would turn off. You could turn it back on, but the screen might do the same thing. At times it would continue to work afterwards for several hours. But the other day it did 3 times very close together and would not come back on after the 3rd time. I haven't had it apart, so I dont' know wht might be blown or damaged. I figured if i had to get the 27" or 31" fixed, i would rather have the 31." Thanks for all of your help so far. Maybe with everyones knowledge and my limited tv experience i can get them fixed. I enjoy trying to fix different things myself anyway.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.20 s on (CGI/1.1)